Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Removing Glue from Skins: How??

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
I've seen a Black Diamond video online. Is glue removal really as simple/effective as it looks using a hot iron and brown paper? Or should I buy a heated scraper?

And, as a supplementary question, are the Colltex stick on glue strips okay as a re-glue fix?
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
yip, brown paper and an iron works well... in my experience you don't need to take all the old glue off : just remove what you can and then use scrapper to take off the dirt / bits of heather / pine needles. you can buy solvent that will remove the glue - but likely overkill. colltex transfer tape works well and isn't too messy.

if you are somewhere like Chamonix then paying a shop 20-30 euros to re-glue skins in money well spent.
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Haggis_Trap said
Quote:
yip, brown paper and an iron works well...

Or a hot-air (paint stripper) gun and scraper is another option
Quote:

are the Colltex stick on glue strips okay as a re-glue fix

I've used the G3 iron-on glue-renew strips which work a treat

youtube.com/v/NGY1KCUC1fI
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
One of my least favourite jobs when I worked in a ski shop, Like Haggis Trap said, if a shop can do it for you........
latest report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Or fit a blade to your soldering iron and run it on 'hot':

ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
Thanks everybody Smile - much obliged.

Quote:
then use scraper to take off the dirt/bits of heather/pine needles...
...and grass! There's more of that stuff than glue after about 4 years skinning on the original glue, with a bit of topping up from a tube of glue in a couple of places. Time to bite the bullet....

Quote:
if you are somewhere like Chamonix then paying a shop 20-30 euros to re-glue skins in money well spent
Unfortunately I'm not so l'll have to have a go at least this once. ( I've got Mrs MA's skins to do as well.... wink). They really need doing fairly soon - the skins were getting like applying post it notes at Glenshee last weekend....Laughing
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
I've found that for my BD ascention skins, the iron and brown paper sufficiently reconditions the glue that I have not needed to add more. Specifically it seems to:

1) Remove most of the pine needles
2) Levels out the glue
3) drives off water from the glue which seems to restore the glue tackiness

I have a set of skins that are 7 years old which I have treated in this way once a year and never needed to re-glue.
That said they are not in as bad a condition as those that altis has posted a pic of!

Ben
snow conditions
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
@BenA, have you seen the state of the slopes in Warrington?
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
@mountainaddict, When I did a pair last year, ventilation was the main issue with fumes coming off the old glue as you heat it. I used a heat gun and scraper and it did the job ok.

I used the coltex iron on stuff which was very good but have a small gap between the glue line and edge of the backing strip Embarassed Don't trust youtube...!
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy