Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

where to mount your goPro/Action camera

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
I got one of these for Christmas https://www.amazon.co.uk/VicTsing-Waterproof-Camcorder-Batteries-Accessories/dp/B01AZ78DWE/ref=sr_1_3?ie=UTF8&qid=1486573910&sr=8-3&keywords=action+camera+vtin&tag=amz07b-21

There seems to 2 places to mount it on the helmet ,on top or on the front and pro's and cons for both

http://youtube.com/v/ig0Qa0a__8Y

Where do have yours ,if we could keep it to helmet mounts as opposed to body straps etc

thanks
snow conditions
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
I have mine on the front.

Have it on the bracket when you experiment where the bracket will go. I didn't and if I had set mine 5mm lower, it would not have been able to point to horizontal. Mine is a Virb Ultra so it may be that yours has a different swing range and this is not an issue.
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Don't often use a GoPro when I'm skiing as the footage gets tedious very quickly, but I have it on the front rather than the top. I disagree with that video that front mounting makes it feel as if your head is tipping forward - I'm not aware of any extra weight at all (I've skied with a gimbal mounted-GoPro in that location and soon forgot about the weight). The only drawback I've found with mounting the camera on the front is it makes it tricky to put your goggles on the front of your helmet.

I use the GoPro more for capturing still photos when skiing, and you can play around with different mounting points for more dramatic viewpoints:

ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
I generally have it at the front, but there's nothing stopping you having a second sticky a bit further back, so you can have a play around with both positions.
latest report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
I find pole mount gives best stills (captured from frame freeze), not comfy to hold all the time. I have it fixed to the front of my helmet most of the time but piste skiing footage can be very boring.

The official mount is expensive but worth it, its fast to install and remove, 2 axis adjustable head angle and rubber adaptor for thin poles making it possible to mount right at the bottom of a ski pole https://www.amazon.co.uk/GoPro-Handlebar-Seatpost-Mount-Camera/dp/B01L2CQCJC/ref=sr_1_3?ie=UTF8&qid=1486589090&sr=8-3&keywords=GoPro+pole+mount&tag=amz07b-21

snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
Mine used to come out with video of my ski tips and loads of white Smile or you think they chairlift is almost at the top and an hour of boring chairlift footage to fast forward Smile If your going to add to the YouTube then the car journey to resort seems to interest people for some reason.
Have it sorted now but they are so tedious and immense faffing.
Still good to video yourself and others to look at technique i suppose.

If its any help , stick it anywhere on the helmet and you can bend the case to get the shot you want.

Bet you get ski tips on your first go Smile
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
My (non) gopro was a prezzie, and was about £40 I believe, so I'm not precious about it. As well as the underwater/clear/shockproof case, it has a snap-in holder with a bulldog/clipboard type spring grip. I mount it on my chest horizontal zip pocket, with a piece of stiff card in the pocket to make the cam sit straight. No faff, can hear the on/off pings and see the indicator lights. I fall lots and haven't lost it yet! And, viewers don's get seasick! Very Happy

Edit: I can mount a camera, but can't read! Helmets only, soz!
snow conditions
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Helmet footage is really dull it gives no perspective of speed or gradient, plus there's the argument about how it affects the helmet in the event of a crash. Pole footage is better and ski or snowboard mounted can also provide some amusing footage.
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
For boxycams, it's a tossup. Tellytubbie (on the top) gives a higher perspective shot, and stays out of they way of your goggles, but it's harder to assess what you're actually filming, has a tendancy to get bent out of alignment and prone to getting clonked by safety bars on the chairlifts. The Radical Unicorn (forehead) gives a lower PoV, and gets in the way of your goggs when you take them off, but is easier to aim if you're filming someone else.

Have a look at this for some ideas...
https://whitelines.com/features/how-to-use-a-gopro-properly-our-top-10-tips.html
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
francium. wrote:
Helmet footage is really dull it gives no perspective of speed or gradient, plus there's the argument about how it affects the helmet in the event of a crash. Pole footage is better and ski or snowboard mounted can also provide some amusing footage.

Agree that it can be dull if its just footage of the piste in front of you. Can be quite useful for filming friends and family on the move though if you're skiing behind them.
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Rucksack strap, best mount point I've found, better than helmet (looks naff and hits lift bar), chesty (gets in the way).

That said I don't take much footage, the fad has worn off, I find it quite tedious. I do use in on my MTB though, Chesty.....no arms flapping about.
latest report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Ive just had a quick look and ive got 2 sticky pads so i could mount it in both places..
I dont like the idea of the camera in the way of my goggles if i stick it to on the front .
So im going to opt for on top mount and ordered one of these for selfie/head shot mode

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/GoPole-Arm-Helmet-Extension-for-GoPro-cameras-New-UK-Stock-/302030503831?hash=item46526bbf97:g:xOsAAOSwZVlXoF7a

Thanks for the advice
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
wasley wrote:
Ive just had a quick look and ive got 2 sticky pads so i could mount it in both places..
I dont like the idea of the camera in the way of my goggles if i stick it to on the front .
So im going to opt for on top mount and ordered one of these for selfie/head shot mode

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/GoPole-Arm-Helmet-Extension-for-GoPro-cameras-New-UK-Stock-/302030503831?hash=item46526bbf97:g:xOsAAOSwZVlXoF7a

Thanks for the advice

Looks decent. Presumably you can rotate the video 180 degrees during playback/editing?

I've never recorder upside down.
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Richard_Sideways wrote:
For boxycams, it's a tossup. Tellytubbie (on the top) gives a higher perspective shot, and stays out of they way of your goggles, but it's harder to assess what you're actually filming, has a tendancy to get bent out of alignment and prone to getting clonked by safety bars on the chairlifts. The Radical Unicorn (forehead) gives a lower PoV, and gets in the way of your goggs when you take them off, but is easier to aim if you're filming someone else.

Have a look at this for some ideas...
https://whitelines.com/features/how-to-use-a-gopro-properly-our-top-10-tips.html

Thanks for posting the link. Some really good tips there.
snow conditions

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy