Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

secure parking stop-off between Calais and Haute Savoie

Poster: A snowHead
Can anyone advise of a hotel/bed with secure parking as a stop-off between Calais and Haute Savoie.
I'm a fully laden Disco with a half-season cargo.
Thinking of somewhere around 6-7 hours out of Calais - around the A5/A31 stretch between Troyes and Dijon, nearer Dijon...
Travelling during the week so missing (hoping) the weekend snarls.
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Grinning,
All the F1 (budget) hotels we've stayed in have a fenced carpark that is locked at night (& the fence is very high), so that hotel chain would be worth a try.
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
We used an https://www.appartcity.com/fr/appart-hotel/nos-destinations.html. Very good. Lock up car park and great room for 3 of us. Sure there must be some in that area. We were in Reims on way back. Got it via booking.com.
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
I have used the BB Hotel at Troyes a few times, its about 3km off the motorway, has a selection of chain restaurants nearby, a very cheap Leclerc gas station across the road and has a big fence round it at night and it doesn't cost much. If that's a bit far north then check their website as they have pictures of all the facilities at each hotel.
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
@Grinning, not sure if it fits your itinerary, but used the Best Western Hotel De La Paix at Reims quite a few times. Not cheap but lovely comfy beds and gated underground parking, which is 14 euros. Not sure if your Disco would fit though, we have RAV4 with nothing on top.
Usually about 100 euros for spacious room and breakfast is 15 pp. Clearly not cheap but very easy and reliable.
snow conditions
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
From memory, the Hotel BB at Dijon Zenith has a high fence around it.
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
At the far end of your window you will find Bourg en Bresse (A39 from Dijon, then J6 of the A40), plenty of cheap and secure overnighting there.
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
@andy1234, we couldn't park our X-trail plus roofbox in the Hotel de la Paix, but they found us an outdoor space in one of the smaller hotels just down the street. Gates were locked as we needed a code to get in and had to walk out again via the hotel.
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
We stop off at one of the Logis chain at Magnant, 5 mins off Jct.22 of the A5 south of Troyes. Called 'Le Val Moret' it's a 3-Star place with an indoor swimming pool and nice but unpretentious restaurant. It's motel style, where you park right outside your room. The site is gated at night. I recommend a balcony room if you can get one, as this means you can leave your window slightly open at night if you want. About 4h:30m from Calais. Great thing is it's just of the autoroute and very easy to find but the traffic doesn't intrude.

http://www.le-val-moret.com/en/

Rooms are around 80-110 Euros and recently refurbished. Good selection of local Champagnes by the glass in the restaurant. We've stayed at various places in the area but the thing in the winter is you just want to get off the autoroute and to your accommodation as soon as you can. We've stayed in various towns in the area and you can end up having to leave the car in fairly unprotected car parking where you can't see it, or even 'round the corner somewhere. At val moret, the car is right outside the room, which is not only secure but convenient when you have changed for bed and remeber you've left something in it!

Last edited by You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net. on Wed 8-02-17 21:59; edited 1 time in total
latest report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
@Hells Bells, this is what's good about snowheads, a lot of detailed knowledge! Brilliant. Very Happy
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Thank you for the pointers - great feedback.
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Quite a few more on this thread http://snowheads.com/ski-forum/viewtopic.php?t=28639
latest report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
@LaForet, that's really good info. We came home on Sunday and I actually looked the hotel up as we drove past, and wondered if it was any good. We usually do the journey in one hit, but it's nice to know of somewhere so close to the autoroute that's worth staying in.

We have used the BB hotels before, and they were gated and secure.
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
@LaForet, I forgot that one, I stopped there and it was very good, the only snag was it was the Andouillette Festival in the restaurant. Now I will normally eat anything but just occasionally I draw the line!
latest report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Often use Le Val Moret and find it very convenient. Excellent food, but forget the andouillette!
latest report
@chocksaway, I've just looked up their menu.....anyone for pig's trotters? Madeye-Smiley
snow report
Many of the budget hotels have locked compounds. There have been several times when I've arrived dog tired with the best intention of unlashing all the skis (6 or more pairs) off the roof and just decide to leave them and collapse in bed. Thankfully I've never had a problem yet!
snow report
Many Logis hotels have secure parking (not all). There is/was a symbol for garage parking, so you can see in the hotel's entry.
We used to stop off at one that used to let a large alsation roam the car compound every night. Seemed secure.
snow conditions
If anyone is around when we are staying, I can arrange for two to roam the car park Toofy Grin
latest report
Personally I wouldn't risk it; I have seen a car broken into in the fenced compound of a budget hotel. Dijon is 5 hours from Calais; Tignes (for example) is only 9. Are you sure you can't do the whole thing in one shot?

Overnight ferry to Le Havre might make the start easier? Brittany Ferries.

Or stay in a Campanile/other motel where it's easy to unload the car into the room.

Le Val Moret looks delicious. Trotters and andouillettes are some of my favourite things. Veal sweetbreads too.
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy