Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Obergurgl - Ski Hire + Walking Trips

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
Hi

Hope those who have been to Obergurgl could help please.

off over Easter, staying at Hotel Alpina, cant quite figure out on the map which is the closest ski shop. Ski Set seems a 10 min walk. We have 2 wee ones who have skied before and I wondered if I would be better off Schieber would be best.

Also I am not a big skier (ok I will be honest I really dont enjoy it!) and thought of maybe doing some walking instead. Has anyone done this there before? Did you go with a local guide?

Thanks in advance if you can help!
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Recently back from staying at the Alpina. There is an Intersport at the same level as the hotel just down the road on the bend. They are very good there and will give a 15% discount if booked online - if you search intersport Obergurgl there are three locations, the one you want is Kressbrunnen. You can access the piste behind the shop, they will let you leave walking shoes there for the first day. Otherwise the hotel will push you to use Lohnman and offer discounts, however in my opinion they are still expensive and also you have to take the hotel shuttle, although once done the skis are delivered and collected from the hotel.

Walking is nice, there is a great walk to David's hut where you can meet up with any skiers (they go up and ski down, your walk is almost flat through a very picturesque valley). The Alpina has a couple of guided walks but I think they are early evening. You can also walk down the valley but not as pretty. The Alpina has a fantastic spa so make full use of that!

If you are served by Ivana at dinner give her a wave from me!
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Oh fab - will have a look at them. Thats kind to give the name as well. The hotel has emailed me Lohmans details and the operator we are going with use ski set. Do you think we will ski in and out each day and not need a ski shop boot storage? I was worried about trekking up to the lift with the kids.

There is a ski company that will do guided walks - Imagine it would be pricey and I did wonder if I might just relax in the spa!!

Hope you had a good trip.

many thanks again
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
We were in obergurgl over Christmas and because of the wind we decided to walk down the valley to Solden, it's about 12 walking miles but we managed about 8 and caught the bus the rest of the way, it's a pleasant walk, not too hilly and there's some lovely views considering you're in the bottom of a valley.
It starts just behind the farm in obergurgl and you just follow your nose and away you go.

Just a reminder that as you reach the road tunnels, keep your eyes peeled as we should have crossed the road at that point and kept along the stream.

Also if you fancy something different one day then have a good look at the bus timetable and head to the aqua dome spa in lagenfeld.

https://www.aqua-dome.at/en/
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
The piste is to the side of the hotel so yes it is 'ski in ski out' although you will have to pole / walk a little as it is flat. The hotel runs free busses to the school meeting point. The ski and boot store in the hotel is very smart and easy to access the piste, plus you get your boots warmed each morning so no need to use any other storage.

We have now stayed at the hotel 4 times and regard it as our luxury treat each year. You should have a great time so relax and soak up the atmosphere!
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
@CeliaCo,

For winter walking on hard snow / ice these will help.
http://www.firstascent.co.uk/snowspikes-light.html

For deep snow snowshoes are whats needed.
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Thank you ...so it doesnt matter so much where we hire our kit - thats great!

Aqua dome looks amazing....why didnt that come up on my searches!!

Also so pleased to hear that you have had a good stay in the hotel....exciting!!
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
@CeliaCo, Yes, @garystarling is spot on with the Intersport advice, it is Intersport Riml Kessbrunnen that you are after.

We stayed next door to the Alpina in the Bergwelt last year and the notices there said Lohmann would deliver/collect hires to/from the hotel. We have our own kit so didn't test it as such but I would've thought they will do the same for the Alpina. Lohmann are right below the hotels on the lower level of the village, that said its a good 100m lower so not a hike I'd want to make carrying kit if I could avoid it. Maybe compare prices and decide? There was something about an extra 7% off for Bergwelt guests so if that also applies to the Alpina would be worth checking out?

Friends used Scheiber the year before when we stayed in the Crystal as they are, literally, in the building and they were good. That said none of the Scheiber shops are particularly handy for the Alpina. Albeit in the context of Obergurgl as a village nothing is really very far away from anywhere.

The Alpina looked fab btw. Great location and you couldn't be better situated for the kids unless you take a second mortgage and stay in the Hochfirst.
snow conditions

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy