Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

La Molina

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
Hi,

I think the first and last time I posted on Snowheads was 9 years ago to ask a question about Baqueira. For my sophomore effort I've got another question about a Pyrenean resort.

We are planning on flying to Barcelona for a long weekend in late March and would like to spend two days skiing in La Molina/Masella. The plan is to get the ski train early Friday morning from central Barcelona and return to Barcelona Saturday evening.

Would appreciate it if any Snowheads could help answer the following questions:

- How busy does it get on a Saturday (taking into account that it will be late in the season)? We've heard bad things about weekend crowds. If the queues are going to be a problem then we may just do a day trip on Friday and not stay overnight.

- Linked to this, are there ever problems with overcrowding on the shuttle bus down to the train station on Saturday afternoons? I don't want to be a situation where we arrive back to Barcelona much later than planned because we couldn't easily get down the mountain to meet the train. I've read somewhere (although can't remember where) that this can be an issue on busy weekends.

Thanks
latest report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
I was there in 2015 late season and it was very quiet, although it wasn't a great snow season (no off piste worth doing for example). I drove up and down and left Friday night though so it may have been busier later. But the whole place had that end-of-season feel, maybe the locals were done with snow by then.

Care hire was cheap (if you don't take the extras).
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Resorts rarely get really busy in the Pyrenees, and I wouldn't imagine that March would be problematic. I've never had trouble getting a seat on the return bus; just make sure you arrive a little bit early for it.

As philwig mentioned, perhaps a hire car would be easier (though unlikely to be cheaper).

I'd recommend buying the ski-train combo ticket on Friday rather than pay for the train and lift pass separately, since the combo barely costs more than the lift pass alone! However, I'm not at all sure that it would allow you to return on a different day; I suspect you might have to buy a new single journey on the Saturday (as well as a second lift pass, of course).

Note that the ski-train combo only covers you for La Molina; I recommend you buy the joint pass (Alp2500 = La Molina + Masella) on the second day in order to ski Masella on the second day yet still be able get back to the bus that runs from La Molina down to the train station.

With a car, of course, you'd just buy a 2-day Alp2500 pass, and would also have more freedom over where to spend the night.
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
Thanks both.

I'm glad to hear that it shouldn't be too busy. I'll look into whether it's better to buy the train+pass combo. Does anyone know if it's possible to upgrade the La Molina pass you get with it to an Alp 2500 ticket? Ideally, I'd like to have the combined pass for both days.
latest report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
No, an upgrade is definitely not possible. The two resorts get on like a house on fire (ever been in a burning house?) and it's hard enough to even get them to bring a joint pass to market, let alone think about producing upgrade products Skullie
latest report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy