Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Mid March Ski Recommendations?

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
Hi,

Budget aside; i'm looking to take the other half on her first ski trip Mid March.
We'd be looking for decent nightlife (but not too mental), decent restaurants, very good snow, beginner friendly pistes for her, lots of interesting reds and blacks for me and somewhere pretty and cute(ish) with some nice shops.

I don't want to take any risks around there not being snow if at all possible. We're both 28.
I was looking at Val Thorens but it sounds a bit bleak, then Mayrhofen but concerned about snow levels, someone also suggested Val d’Isère/Tignes?

We'd prefer France or Austria. Any tips would be awesome.
Cheers,
JD
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
If it's mid-March you don't need to worry about the snow so you can count that out of your calculations.

Alpe D'Huez would work well for your criteria.
snow conditions
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
That useful - did think I might be over-worrying about the snow.
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
Ignore the height of Mayrhofen village - the skiing is all pretty high. The Ahorn area would suit your OH for learning (but less ideal if you're looking for reds and blacks). There's decent blues on the Penken too (and you can access the harder stuff).

It's a nice town - not a purpose-built resort - and would tick the boxes you're suggesting. Plus it's a short transfer from Innsbruck which is great.
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
I'm not sure Val Thorens and Tignes/Val are great for beginners. Sure they have some areas, but in France I'd favourite Alpe d'Huez given your criteria. Has two decent sized bowls of green runs, and some really fine reds and blacks for you (Tunnel can be epic). No idea on Austria, but others will tell you.
latest report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
OP wrote:
...somewhere pretty and cute(ish)

mad for chelsea wrote:
but in France I'd favourite Alpe d'Huez given your criteria.

Shocked
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
red 27 wrote:
OP wrote:
...somewhere pretty and cute(ish)

mad for chelsea wrote:
but in France I'd favourite Alpe d'Huez given your criteria.

Shocked

Fair point. I missed that part. Yeah if you want pretty then ADH probably not your best bet Wink

My recommendation for ADH was based on his skiing criteria, which is some beginner/easier slopes for the GF and some good reds and blacks for him. I think ADH certainly matches that, but it is rather ugly...
latest report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
What's wrong with e.g. Morzine for PdS or Les Carroz for Gd Massif?
snow conditions
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Courchevel in France would meet your criteria also in terms of the skiing. With a beginner I would definitely not choose val d sere or tignes. Alpe d huez would also work well and I can vouch for it as a beginner as I had my first week there 25 years ago. Les arcs or. La plagne would also probably work well. La plagne would give her the option of long confidence blue runs towards the end of the week. Perhaps less in the way of challenging piste skiing. Morzine is pretty subject to snow quality in march. Not sure any apart from Morzine have charm. Lech in Austria? Zell am Zee?
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
St Anton (for the mega nightlift but also Lech for posher nightlife and easier slopes)
Cervinia - no idea on nightlift here!!
Courchevel
Kitzbuhel
snow conditions
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
not sure about st anton for beginners slopes. Saalbaach Hinterglemm though personally would be wary about quality of snow in March.
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Cervinia nightlife is limited. A couple of night clubs, several bars.
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Ischgl - though you have to go up the mountain for beginners slopes (for all slopes) but should be excellent snow quality in March. Obergurgl too for excellent snow in March, but the beginners slopes are in or just above village.

Ischgl better for difficult (and much more extensive) skiing. Both predominently West facing

Saalbach lovely large area, but most slopes facing south and resort is 500m to 1000m lower than the two I have mentioned
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy