Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

How do you Transport your skis

Poster: A snowHead
Hi there.

My partner has bought herself a nice pair of K2 Burnin' Luvs.

We're off to Colorado in 2 weeks, and need advice on how best to transport them.

Most of the ski bags we've seen appear quite flimsy.

How do you transport your skis? Do you have any tips on protecting them from airport baggage mis-handlers?

Thanks

James
latest report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Norbert666,

not had any problems in 20 odd years using a standard ski bag, you can wrap a towel or some clothing around the bindings if you want a bit more protection.

but as said on a recent thread if they can't handle the baggage handlers they should you be skiing on them!
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Norbert666, I got the long EB bag with wheels, It holds 2 pair or 1 pair and a board with loads of room for clothing. If it wasn't for two pairs of boots, I'd just need a carry-on.
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
In an effort to better protect my skis in their fabric ski bag, I have just bought some bubble wrap plastic film, which I will wrap round the skis (when I go on my next ski trip to Canada in 3 weeks time Very Happy ). Staples office stores sell a roll of bubble wrap 0.5m x 7.5m for £3.99.
Alternatively you can buy one of the plastic ski cases e.g Sportube.
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
I just wrap mine in a couple of bin bags (to protect my clothes from edges/moisture) - then wrap my ski gear and other clothes around them. Everything then fits in the one bag (except the boots) which is handy!

aj xx
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
I've got two pairs to transport to Alpe D'Huez soon and have bought a double Sportube ski box for them.

I hoping to take the sportube with both pairs of skis as just one person's ski carriage allowance to save paying the £15 surcharge twice.

Anyone else tried this??
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
BrightonSki, Have not tried it with a sportube but have taken 2 pairs of skis (along with a fair amount of other equipment) in a double ski-bag a few times. Never yet had a problem or even a query snowHead
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Ski tubes are excellent.We have one that holds two pairs of skis and the way the airline baggage handlers handle them its a must
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
I bought a great bag from a company called Margo the Dog on the internet; it's padded, big enough for 176 Rossis and has wheels. I also packed boots and poles, wrapped everything in bubble wrap and filled the gaps with clothing. Gear survived quite happily to Canada and back last week and I'll do the same for the flight to Andorra next month. Great advantage of packing lots of things in my ski bag is it helped me get round the miserly charter flight weight limit. They only weighed my suitcase and not my skis!
latest report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
I put them on the roofrack. Little Angel
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
There is very little that a baggage handler can do to my skis that is worse than what I do to them on the slopes... Old ski socks over both ends, towel around the bindings, something over the pointy end of the poles. No probems ever...
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
While clothes around the skis in the bag is a good idea, don't get carried away and put clothes BETWEEN the skis. I had the misfortune of doing this once, and the hundreds of pounds of luggage bearing down on the skis in the plane luggage hold turned the edges into knives and cut my favorite sweatshirt to shreds.
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Another thought Norbert666,

Buy a double ski bag if you can. I can recall checking in at the Oslo airport with suitcases and a couple of bags of skis, and the lady at the ticket counter did some quick addition and declared that we had one too many pieces and boy was it going to cost me (I'll give her the benefit of the doubt - it was 6am on Easter Sunday). After some quick thinking, we put the single ski bag into the empty side of my double bag, and voila - problem solved. I think I paid for the bag right then and there. It was heavy though, although weight is less of an issue on flights to North America than the number of bags.
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
you think transporting skis is a problem on aeroplanes?...........try super delicate surfboards Crying or Very sad dings,cracks and snaps guaranteed...and tonadd insult to injujy chech the excess baggage charges Evil or Very Mad
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
stoatsbrother,
Quote:

There is very little that a baggage handler can do to my skis that is worse than what I do to them on the slopes...

We had a pair driven over by a baggage trolley, should have sussed the tyre marks on the ski bag rolling eyes they were, understandably, a write off.
latest report
SportTube/KIS carrier is the best way forward (IMO). much more protection than any amount of soft padding.
ski holidays
This year I used 4 ski socks.

A double pair round the bottom and 1 sock on each tip. Worked very well
ski holidays
Hello from Fall Line Ski mag.

This is my first time here, so please bear with me if I make mistakes...

We've found that a snowboard wheelie bag is by far the best way to transport skis, particularly if there are a few of you going on an low cost airline. With Ryan air, you have to pay £15 each way to transport your skis, but there is no weight limit - so put a few pairs into one bag and you can save a small fortune.

Snowboard wheelie bags are excellently padded and very durable - just make sure that you buy one that is long enough.Plus, of course, the wheels make your life a LOT easier.

Irrespective of whether you share or not, you can get all of your gear neatly into one of these bags, which means that if you do it right, it's just you, your wheelie bag and a backpack.

Thanks

Ian
snow report
Fall Line Editor (Ian) - welcome to snowHeads!

Interesting advice, but I don't think it represents Ryanair's official position on this. Here's the relevant clause of Ryanair's checked baggage terms:
Quote:
" Many items of sporting equipment including but not limited to large fishing rods, golf clubs, bicycles, scooters, fencing equipment, surfboards, bodyboards, snowboards and skis are inherently unsuitable for carriage by airlines operating fast turnarounds such as Ryanair. However, upon payment of an additional charge of £17/€25 (or local currency equivalent) per item, per sector (flight) irrespective of weight, Ryanair is prepared to attempt to carry such items as carefully as it can, but only on a 'limited release' basis (i.e. entirely 'at your own risk' for damage or delay). You may therefore wish to ensure that you have suitable private insurance cover in force for such items. Due to space restrictions, we recommend that all sports equipment is pre-booked and pre-paid at the time of booking on www.ryanair.com or by calling your local reservation centre, as not to do so may result in the item being refused carriage at the airport. If the fee is not paid at the time of booking or on your outbound it will still be imposed on your return journey.

The phrase "per item" would definitely be worth checking officially. Check-in staff often show flexibility ... unofficially.
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy