Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Where next for the Botting family?

Poster: A snowHead
Welcome to the snowheads, David, Di, Daniel, James, Matthew, Emma and Luke (not necessarily in order of seniority.)

We shared a chalet last week and I undertook to introduce them. Please make them welcome when they appear.

They enjoyed the chalet life and it was obviously a real holiday for mother of 5, Di who had a break from cooking etc. Dad David got hooked and will want to go again. James like his elder brothers went to the darkside, but may not be lost forever. He was doing fine with his board anyway. Emma was a natural and skied really well. Young Luke enjoyed it least, most probably because he was in a French speaking ski-school group.

After Arc 2000, where next? The priorities, I would think, would be good chalet and plenty of cruisy blues with the odd steep red for Emma and James.

Any ideas for the perfect week for them, maybe next new year week?
snow conditions
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Andorra sounds like it'd be about right.
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Cervinia?

It would also have the advantage that Luke wouldn't be in a French speaking ski-school group, again.
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Hardly any chalets in Andorra - only a few in Soldeu/ El Tarter

Id say Alpe D'huez
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Chris Bish, sorry we missed each other last week.
For the Bottings, you state the priorities as: good chalet, plenty of cruisy blues, the odd steep red for Emma and James.
Well, there is of course only one place: La Plagne.
It is not clear how old the children are. If many under 12 I suggest Chalet Mont Blanc in Montchavin with Ski Esprit. If older, then stay at Montagnettes or Les Balcons in Belle Plagne. I have also heard good reports of Mark Warner and Club Med in Plagne Centre, but no personal experience.
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Jonpim, also sad to have missed you, but love of 3V and kids in tow mean we will perhaps meet there next February half term.
Only Luke is Esprit age. The others are "grown up" kids. I'm hoping they will soon appear and join in this discussion for themselves.

As for La Plagne, see Jon Bish's quoted comments elsewhere on this site. I think La Plagne would be a good choice personally, though it might be considered bland by many. Probably be good at New Year too....
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
I was going to suggest Cervinia, but skanky, beat me to it. Lots of easy cruising, good for confidence building & the link over to Zermatt for a bit of "interest". There is a Club Med & a couple of clubhotel style options pretty close to the cable car.
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Chris Bish, La Plagne or 3 valleys for the second holiday and here in Les Deux Alpes for the year after. Chalets are fewer here, but there are some nice ones if you browse. We have less cruising but more interesting ski-ing! snowHead
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
I've moved this back up because I know the Bottings have been lurking.

Emma's question to me via email was "Are all those places in France?"

Can we have lots of people saying "join in and post" to them, please. I really think we need more beginners on this board so we can show off our "expertise"!!! rolling eyes
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Cervinia's in Italy, under the Matterhorn (Mont Cervinia in Italy).
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Chris Bish,
Quote:

Emma's question to me via email was "Are all those places in France?"

Come on Chris, you know the answer to that one!

Join in and post, the Bottings, just to stop him nagging at us, and showing off all his "expertise" Exclamation
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
maggi, AAArgh you sussed me. I don't have much of it. It was in quote marks!

Thanks for the contribution though.
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Chris, what about La Rosiere 1850, it's the sunny slopes you see as you look across the valley from Arc 2000. I'm biased because we've got a Chalet there but Masque, Ice Queen, RachelQ, Mark Hunter (M'sieur le Bronze) & famille have all skiied there and can give you unbiased feedback. It's linked with La Thuile in Italy, good ski schools and enough apres ski to keep teenagers happy. There are also one or two nice chalets.
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Chris Bish, Having just been there, I'd suggest La Rosiere with Ski Espirit. The Chalet Braconnier sounds perfect - ski in ski out and right next to the nursery slopes and ski school for Luke. The resort is quite compact and has a good deal of charm. The ski=ing is great for beginner improvers up to intermediate, whilst there are a few runs catering to more advanced skiers and always the option to pop over into Italy for more variety/challenges.

The whole place has a "safe" feel about it, and the area isn't so large that younger members of the family can go off and get lost too easily.

If your friends wish to steer clear of package deals, get in touch with David@Trax - his place, Le Mouflon, is charming with some stunning views. Smile
latest report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
I dont know about the chalet side, but portes de soleil (Avoriaz) or
Grand Massif (Flaine) are quite cruisy with nice opportunities for gently
extending yourself. They might not be high enough for new year though...
latest report
A big welcome to the Bottings!
Are u lurking as Guests or have u registered - it really is worth registering as once you have 'introduced yourselves' so to speak all the 'A snowHeads' magically become real people and it's all really very friendly - a bit like a chalet with 500 guests Shocked

I'd say La Plagne in answer to the question above and I'd qualify the 3V's suggestion with Courchevel 1650 as a good spot given the criteria.
Val-T and Courch 1850 would also fit the bill but tend to be a little more expensive and most of the on-snow benefits they provide beyond L-P and 1650 are more at the advanced end of the spectrum.
ski holidays
admin wrote:
A big welcome to the Bottings!
Are u lurking as Guests or have u registered - it really is worth registering as once you have 'introduced yourselves' so to speak all the 'A snowHeads' magically become real people and it's all really very friendly - a bit like a chalet with 500 guests Shocked

Hi. Just signed on! Thanks for all the suggestions - and the welcome. Looking forward to getting to know the 500 chalet guests, not so sure about the smell of 500 pairs of skiing socks at the end of a long day!! Very Happy
snow report
Di Botting, welcome to Snowheads, what a horrible thought!!! Shocked
snow conditions
Di Botting, welcome to snowHeads. Many of us wash our skiing socks at least once a week, so you shouldn't find it too unpleasant.
ski holidays
Welcome to snowHeads, Di snowHead

500 guests would require the mother of boot rooms...
ski holidays
I feel sory for the chalet maid, all that cake.
latest report
Jonpim wrote:
Di Botting, welcome to snowHeads. Many of us wash our skiing socks at least once a week, so you shouldn't find it too unpleasant.

That reminds me...(rushes off).......(rushes back) Welcome Di!....(rushes off again)....
ski holidays
Di Botting, Welcome Di.... snowHead Glad you all enjoyed your visit to Les Arcs, still very skiable up at Arc 2000 where you were based, but just three days to go 'til the resort closes now. Perhaps you'll recognise some of the places in the photographs taken around the resort, although quite a few were right up the top - for a future trip perhaps! As well as the photos on this page, where I think you'll recognise a couple of people....
ski holidays
Memories......... it seems like an age away, but it was great to look at the photos of Arc 2000 and 1950 (when will the building work be completed?). We have copies of Chris's photos on our computer, as well as our own picture gallery (taken mainly on the nursery slopes).
My knee is still giving me some trouble - how long does it take for a sprained ligament to stop hurting?
snow report
Thanks for posting the pictures Pete.
BTW Di I have to say Jon's ski socks are in a class of their own as far as aroma is concerned. Most are nothing like that bad.

Nice to see you on here.
snow conditions
David@traxvax, I've never been to La Ros, but I can see the appeal. Is it true you can get a taste of Italian skiing quite easily?

I found it really exciting to ski from Italy to Switzerland in Cervinia.
ski holidays
Chris, very easy, literally 2 chairs and a drag away from the village centre. The only time the link is closed is because of bad weather, usually high winds. The drag follows the route of the Col de Petite San Bernard and it's pretty high and exposed. Last week there was over 3 metres of snow on the Col, riding the drag we could reach up to touch the cable and the snow piled against the gable end of the Hospice reached the 3rd floor level. There's some great skiing in Italy, and even in peak times it's not too busy. Most of the visitors to La Thuile, appear to prefer skiing on the slopes around the gondola station leaving the San Bernadino and Fourclaz sectors fairly empty and that's where the best conditions are often found. We were still skiing on fresh powder there last Thurs.
latest report
DAvid,must make a return visit to La Ros sometime.
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
BTW Di I have to say Jon's ski socks are in a class of their own as far as aroma is concerned. Most are nothing like that bad.

Who said anything about Jon's ski socks?!?! With a family of 4 boys (+ dad) I've got thru 2 bottles of extra perfumed fabric softener in my post-ski washing! Madeye-Smiley
snow conditions
Di Botting, as mother of 2 boys, you have my deepest sympathies.
ski holidays
I think Emma should get a mention at this point. As the only girl in the family and the best skier she needs recognition. And she skied the Arandliere red in her first week on snow. Respect!
ski holidays
The only reason Emma wasn't mentioned before was because, being a girl, for her the smelly sock problem doesn't exist. I'd also remind you that I happen to be female too - we say, in our family, that it takes the 5 boys to cope with the 2 girls!
However, I do agree. Emma was a complete star on skis and is already nagging us about our next skiing holiday (James is a trusty ally). She is very keen to go to Italy next. Any ideas? Question
snow conditions
Di Botting: 6 kids! I am sure Emma is a marvel on skis, but you the one who deserves Respect.
Ideas for Italy. Take a look at La Thuile. Lots of info on this site already. I skied there for the first time this March, and want to go back. As our guide said: "Excellent ski, not so good apres ski". It's in the Aosta valley, so day trips to Courmayeur and nearby resorts easy. It links with La Rosiere in France. Bon Ski.
ski holidays
Thanks Jonpim. Actually, David is included in the "boys" so I only have 5 kids. What am I saying - ONLY?!
Just to clarify: we're not so very bothered about apres ski - for us beginners, that usually means sleep!!! What's the accommodation there? Are there chalets? I must confess to being something of a chalet person, especially if the food's as good as it was in Arcs, and the family enjoyed the informality of chalet life too.
snow report
Cervinia's in Italy - also in (or just off) the Valle d'Aosta.
latest report
SorryDi Botting, don't know about accommodation in La Thuile. I was staying at Courmayeur.
I don't think the Italians do chalets.
If they do, I am sure snowHeads will correct me.
ski holidays
Rumour has it you are going to Italy.... any details?
snow conditions
Crystal (and others?) do a sort chalet/apartment system in Cervinia - and probably elsewhere, but I've not looked into it at other Italian resprts. You might find some apartments that are available independently as (for example) in Courmayeur there are a lot of holiday apartments, which may be rented out when the owners aren't using them - however judging by the maount of work my brother-in-law has to do on the central heating systems at peak times, it seems a lot of them are shut down over the months the owners aren't there.

I can ask my sister what the apartment rental situation is in Courmayeur, if anyone wants.

Another Italian resort I would suggest looking at is Pila, which again is Valle d'Aosta (can actually be accessed by gondola from Aosta). It's not as snow sure as Cervinia, but it's quite a nice resort (though I've only been for a day's skiing).

I'm sure Matteo has the best recommendations for Italy, though.
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy