Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Confidence building blues in Espace Killy?

Poster: A snowHead
Can anyone recommend which green or blue runs are good for building confidence in the Espace Killy area. This will be my 5th week skiing (3rd in this area) but I'm still terrified of anything too steep. I'm aware that the piste classification in this area is a bit misleading (IMO), the green Verte is hardest green I've attempted! I would like some cruisey blues which I can use to build confidence and hopefully start to enjoy my skiing! (Don't want to admit defeat!) Any advice appreciated!
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
@Alieeeh, verte isn't really green - it is notorious. You need to be in the Grand Pre area of val disere - Borsat lift then play around that area - beautiful long cruisy runs. Also the Belvarde area, looping the marmotte lift
snow conditions
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Thanks - I was taken on Verte as a beginner on my second day of skiing after 6 hours lessons so perhaps that's where my lack of confidence stems from! I've never skied in Val D'Isere so I will give that a go Smile
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
@Alieeeh, Shocked
latest report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
@Alieeeh, I suggest if you look over in the Snow Reports part of the forum, and look up the "View from the Espace Killy...." thread, there will either be similar questions or Steve who posts to that thread will be able to give you some very good advice.
latest report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
Thanks for the heads up
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Definitely recommend Grand Pre for you. Also Borsat and Frese, off the Borsat lift. Lovely cruisy greens.

Also, Pre Chemin and Valon in Fornet. It's shown as a blue but is a lovely gentle glide and is really a green.

All of these are on a Val or full EK lift pass.
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
bar shaker wrote:
Also Borsat and Frese, off the Borsat lift. Lovely cruisy greens.

FYI Both the above have a steep bit on them though, which rapidly gets bumpy: if you can cope with that though you can have a lovely time lapping both using the Borat lift.
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Agree with all comments above ...

The Solaise runs are lovely (albeit they can get busy at times) too.

The Madeleine green plus most of the blues up there always seem to have good, grippy snow with no bumps.

Please don't ski down to resort from up there - you can download on the brand new gondola lift.

The Vallon over in the Fornet sector is also a nice blue. Sorry, just seen that @bar shaker has already recommended it!
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
IMO. One of the best things you can do, is get the first lift up in the morning to the areas recommended. You will get an hour or so on freshly groomed corduroy.

Some lifts open earlier than others....for example, when staying at VC, the quickest way to get over to the Val side, was take the short Bollin lift and ski over to Tufs, both of which opened earlier than Fresse.
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
I'd recommend the blues off the Glacier Express lift. Nice runs with mixed gradient, perfect for building confidence. After you've worked that area, it's easy to cross to the Vallon / Fornet side using the Lessiers (aka the up and over)chair.

On the Fornet side, best to download on the Fornet cable as the Mangard run has a couple of tricky places.

If conditions are good, the runs up on the Pissaillas glacier (Morraine Red and Pissaillas Blue) are good cruises. The red does have a slightly steeper bit but is nice and wide.
latest report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Thank you to everyone for their recommendations! I'm going to get my piste map out and formulate a plan!
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
I always used to like Anemone; take the Palafour lift out of le Lac and its left off the top of that. Nice and wide at the top and none too steep.
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
@Dav, good call
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
NOTE:- The Grand Pre area is indeed very nice - go on the green "Grand Pre" (and Genepy)... the blue "Club des sports" is a bit of a Val blue.. but whatever you do, when you get back to the Grand Pre lift do NOT carry on down and 'try out' the blue 'Santons'.... it has quite the reputation. Shocked

Santons could be a lovely run on a good day, but it's shaped a bit like a giant park style drainpipe and is usually crowded with skiers in various states of shock - which makes navigation unpleasantly hazardous combined with those hooning off the sides of the 'pipe'.

Over at Fornet the blues and greens are more as their piste grading would suggest, and it's often quieter also.
snow conditions
Echo what everyone else says. Grand Pre is lovely, and so are all the blues on Solaise, and I love the Madeleine green as well. Lovely undulating run. If you go up Borsat (always freezing), don't go immediately left when you get off the lift, there's a nasty little steep bit with big bumps on it; go straight ahead as far as you can, and follow the run around to the left, it's much easier!

Don't be put off by the runs marked red on the Val glacier, they are all pretty gentle and cruisey - and they all come back to the same restaurant which is nice for a hot chocolate stop. Make the effort to take the T-bar right at the top, that run is an absolute cracker.

ps: if you go over to Tignes, the confidence building run you want is called Grattalu. It's awesome, one of my favourite runs in the whole EK.
latest report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy