Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Where do we go?

Poster: A snowHead
My son, late 20s, who's about to leave the army has asked me to go skiing with him in the 2nd or 3rd week in March before he starts his new job.
It's been a while (maybe 10 years) since I skied and I'm approaching 60. I guess I was intermediate but a bit of a wet blanket on ice, moguls and steep slopes!!
He wants some challenging runs although I expect he's no more than an intermediate as well.

The complication, if it is one, is that I live in Tenerife and he'll be leaving from the UK.
Hes found a site for Andorra which arranges everything bar the flight and has a pickup from Barcelona which would suit us both.
So!
Is Andorra going to be 'good' enough for 2 intermediates and which resort is best. Is there likely to be snow around 2n week in March?
Are there better places to go?

We're not bothered about mad apres ski but would like a place where you can get a pint or late into the night.
latest report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Andorra should be great for 2 intermediates, just don't let him talk you into going to Pas wink I've been in late March and the snow was very Spring ish. Conditions in the morning were good and a bit porridge like in the afternoon, but that was a lovely sunny week.
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Depends which area you go to. ValNord area is good, but lacking in more challenging runs. I still love it. Grandvalira area offers more of a challenge. More steeps, more moguls, more nappies needed. Either one should have decent snow in early March.
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
musher wrote:
Andorra should be great for 2 intermediates, just don't let him talk you into going to Pas wink I've been in late March and the snow was very Spring ish. Conditions in the morning were good and a bit porridge like in the afternoon, but that was a lovely sunny week.

Cheers musher. He's found a deal for Arinsal which sounds ideal and dirt cheap. However I have no idea what it's like. Is Arisnal ok for intermediates as well?

Is Pas, Pas de la Casa?
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Thornyhill wrote:
Depends which area you go to. ValNord area is good, but lacking in more challenging runs. I still love it. Grandvalira area offers more of a challenge. More steeps, more moguls, more nappies needed. Either one should have decent snow in early March.

Thanks Thornyhill - I'll look it up but is the Grandvalira the same as going to Soldeu
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
Another question - as it's been a number of years since I've been I've lost all of my ski gear. I'm not talking about skis and boots but jackets, salopettes, gloves etc. Can I hire these at all in the resort be it Andorra, France, Italy etc etc
snow conditions
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Soldeu is part of the ski area Grandvalira, it's nice and central has some night life. As to hiring clothes, I haven't seen anywhere in Soldeu that does, at that time of year the weather is normally pretty warm, so I normally ski with a 'shell' top and and then have one or two layers on underneath that. There are not any particularly cheap clothes there so it may be that your son could get you them in the UK and take them out for your.
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Grandvalira is the area that includes Soldeu and Pas de la Casa (all linked by same lift pass). Vallnord is the area which includes Arinsal. Grandvalira has more runs but both are probably fine for intermediates. Check for yourself here:

http://www.piste-maps.co.uk/Andorra

I think Andorra has had relatively good snow this season hasn't it compared with some other countries so should be fine in March.

Regarding clothing I'm guessing Tenerife is more geared up for surf wear than cheap ski clothing? Very Happy.

Maybe try and get your son to get you some gear in UK from Aldi, Sports Direct, Decathlon etc if he can fit it in his luggage?
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Soldeu is great for intermediates, it's mostly easy skiing but you can find the odd black if you fancy more of a challenge. It's a small and fairly quiet village but has an Irish pub and other bars for a bit of aprés. The Sports Hermitage hotel is very expensive but has a cheaper sister hotel across the road that is still very nice, there are lots of cheaper options too and self catering if you don't mind cooking. There's a cracking shop down the road in El Tartar (Caves Manacor) that sells everything from air pistols to cheese, worth the visit even if you don't buy anything.

Never heard of being able to hire clothes in a resort, as mentioned Aldi, Decathlon, Go Outdoors etc will get you kitted out fairly cheaply. All you really need is a waterproof jacket (which you may already have), salopettes and proper ski socks. It's worth shelling out a bit for decent gloves (leather & Gore-tex) as a bad pair can ruin your day if they get wet. Don't bother with goggles if you already have sunglasses.
latest report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
SkiTsar wrote:
It's worth shelling out a bit for decent gloves (leather & Gore-tex) as a bad pair can ruin your day if they get wet. Don't bother with goggles if you already have sunglasses.

I'd have to disagree there. I don't think an expensive pair of leather Gore-Tex gloves are necessary for standard holiday piste skiing. So long as they'r comfortable and water resistant they should be fine. On the other-hand I think a decent pair of double-lens goggles is important. Sunglasses are no good in bad weather. Also might want to consider a helmet. I got one in Aldi for a tenner the other week and its really light and comfortable.
snow conditions
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
SlipnSlide wrote:
I'd have to disagree there. I don't think an expensive pair of leather Gore-Tex gloves are necessary for standard holiday piste skiing.

Only mentioned this because the thread reminded me of a day years ago in Grandvalira when my cheap gloves got wet on a very cold windy day, it was agony and I was almost panicking. These were sold as "ski gloves" but were terrible for the job. The set of circumstances on that day are pretty rare but you really don't want to go through that experience.

Quote:
So long as they'r comfortable and water resistant they should be fine

This is the key point, they must be waterproof.
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Thanks for all the replies.
Looks like we're going to arinsal as we've found a deal that includes hotel, lift pass and xfer from Barcelona all for 379 which sounds good to me.

@SlipnSlide, yes you're right it is!! Although the locals that are used to the hotter weather do get togged up in the 'winter'!@pieman666, Good idea - but i wouldn't trust him as far as i could throw him! Very Happy
@SkiTsar, there's a decathlon on the island so I'll give it a visit, thanks

I have some 'summer'motorcycle gloves - probably not waterproof but I do't intend falling over and getting them wet Toofy Grin
I don't like wearing goggles or sunglasses so will go commando!

In general can I hire a helmet?
snow conditions
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
ryetee wrote:

You really should wear some eye protection particularly if its sunny.

Most ski hire shops will hire helmets if you can't find one in Decathlon.
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
SlipnSlide wrote:
ryetee wrote:

Thanks especially re eye protection
latest report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
ryetee wrote:
SlipnSlide wrote:
ryetee wrote:

Yep - I'm sure you've heard of snow-blindness!
snow report
Tom Doc wrote:
ryetee wrote:
SlipnSlide wrote:
ryetee wrote:

Yep - I'm sure you've heard of snow-blindness!

Yep but I've never really worn googles or sun glasses in the 20 odd times I've bee skiing. Just don't agree with me!
Only times I used to put them on was if it was snowing and then again the flakes hitting the goggles made me blink like a mad man.
Best things I ever used was a pair of sunglasses without lenses (I'm not making this up). The flakes hit the frames but never went into my eyes.
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy