Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Why does Montgenevre only get a low rating for advanced skiers?

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
As per title, thinking of Montgenevre for next year (skied Sauze about a thousand years ago!), but slightly mystified that Inghams only give it a 2 star rating for Advanced skiers? Liked the look of the ski in/out, seems to be getting harder to find decent chalets with that benefit

I would have thought that as you have the whole Sauze/Sestriere/Sansiscario refion also accessible surely there should be something for everyone? Is it just that Monty itself is not very challenging? I can see it claims 8 black runs, tho' most seem fairly short. We're mainly piste skiers, would only go off piste if conditions are very good & a good guide available.

Any info much appreciated

Last edited by Poster: A snowHead on Sun 5-02-17 16:10; edited 1 time in total
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Currently in Montgenevre. We are progressing into intermediates (did our first ever black today!)

I think if you are just skiing this area an advanced skier would get bored quickly. The blacks are short but it does have some lovely reds and blues.
As you've mentioned, it's connected to the Via Lattea which I've been told has a lot more going for it for more advanced skiers, especially Sestriere and Sauze. Depends if you want the trek across I guess. That's made harder by the fact the crossing at the top is closed from France into Italy.
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
@Fridge03 Just read a Telegraph review which mentions slow lifts - is that something you'd agree with? Why is the top crossing closed (& is that the one from the top of the Rocher de l'Aigle?)
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
The Inghams rating seems rather harsh to me. Unless all you want to ski all day is moguls, 'the tunnel' La Sarenne, le Tourtain etc. , and never venture off-piste.

There are some good short black runs in resort. The rest is generally groomed reds and blues (great for carving). Same goes for the Milky Way. The off-piste is accessible and relatively safe (within the usual rules). With the Milky Way and Serre Chevalier on the door-step - and free on the lift pass - there's a lot of variety. Plenty to keep a decent skier happy.

More importantly the snow record is good, it's a lovely resort, it isn't crowded and decent value.
latest report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Russbost wrote:
@Fridge03 Just read a Telegraph review which mentions slow lifts - is that something you'd agree with? Why is the top crossing closed (& is that the one from the top of the Rocher de l'Aigle?)

Some of the lifts are quite slow, but not the important ones.

The top crossing is closed due to a court case in Italy. It's a very long story.
The official story is that it will re-open next year once remedial works have been carried out to the 'new' piste.
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
@Russbost, I went there in my 2nd ever ski trip (1985)

Loved it then and would love to go back again now, 100 or so trips later.

They had lots of lovely long surface lifts - hopefully those have been retained as they're the best way to travel - skiing uphill snowHead
snow conditions
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
@Russbost, in comparison to other resorts we have seen/been to I would consider them slow (apart from when you get on them, when seemingly they speed up to smash the back of your knees into next week).
Even the ESF instructors say they are slow. But hasn't really bothered me. Some very nice scenery to look at on the way up and after a long run down it's nice to rest the legs.
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Slow lifts are only a problem if it's frikkin freezing.
snow conditions
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
volfy wrote:
Russbost wrote:

Some of the lifts are quite slow, but not the important ones.

The top crossing is closed due to a court case in Italy. It's a very long story.
The official story is that it will re-open next year once remedial works have been carried out to the 'new' piste.

Does this mean you can only get to Claviere across the golf course? rolling eyes

It would be interesting to know what the real reason is behind the closure?
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
Only way to Claviere is across the golf course, or off-piste over the top (Piedmont requires use of the holy trinity: shovel, probe and beacon).

The remodelling of the piste did not conform the the planning permission submitted. In addition, more naturally occurring asbestos was removed than was originally planned. This was all discovered during an inquest into he death of a teenager (the death was not related to the changes made to the piste). The mountain was closed, the judge retired, and everything went into the court system.
latest report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Superb conditions for advanced skiers today in Montgenevre with powder everywhere....oh and Candide Thorvex was in resort the other day. Can't get more advanced than THAT!
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy