Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Resort recommendations near Munich

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
I've just been told I'm going to Munich with work for 6 weeks starting mid-February. I thought that it would be a great opportunity to get some skiing in at the weekends Very Happy

I've no experience of skiing in Germany. Has anyone got any suggestions? Are there good resorts to drive to from Munich or would I be better going deeper into the mountains and staying overnight? Does anyone know any not to be missed places?

Feel sure some snowHead snowHead will have done something like this!
snow conditions
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
In Germany, you have Garmisch-Partenkirchen and just over the border to Austria you have the SkiWelt (Söll, Ellmau etc). Kitzbühel, Mayrhofen are a bit further off but still fairly close. Munich doesn't seem to be a bad place to be based snowHead
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
This might be of use then Smile..
http://zugspitze.de/en/winter/skiarea/garmisch-classic/garmischer-ski-ticket
snow conditions
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
Obersdorf is closer with Nebelhorn and Fellhorn as options.

Closer still is Oberjoch, but this is a smaller ski area.
snow conditions
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Dmitri,

Congratulations, I've been trying to make this happen in my place for years.

I use Munich as a weekend airport from the UK to ski in Austria. I fly out on a Friday evening, pick up a hire car and get to somewhere simple and cheap in Austria. I'm then left with a short drive on the Saturday morning to a ski resort.

This last weekend, I chose Alpendorf for Saturday, then Leogang/Saalbach on Sunday.

The drive from Munich to Austrian ski resorts is slow on a Saturday morning and very slow coming back on a Sunday. I got held up 1.5 hours on Sunday at the border, plus normal slow traffic back to Munich ring road. So load up your music player.

Have an amazing time.

Keith
latest report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
@Dmitri, there are various bus companies that run trips to various ski resorts, the deal includes return transport on the coach and the ski pass for the day. Local ski clubs (skiverein) will also run similar outings. I used to go with a ski club and the return journeys were usually pretty good fun (not from Munich, I was a fair bit further west).

https://www.skibusmuenchen.de/de

http://www.skiverein-muc.de/winterprogramm/skitagesfahrten/skitagesfahrten.html

The destinations give you ideas even if you prefer to drive. I am sure there are some small places worth a visit, I used to go mainly to the Vorarlberg though, which isn't the most logical choice from Munich. I did go to Oberjoch once, but wouldn't really recommend it, it's not so much that it's small, as it's rather one dimensional. I did once have a totally amazing powder day in the trees at Berwang, but I can't remember it well enough now to tell you if it's worth the trip even if you haven't just had a metre of snow.
snow conditions
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
There are 300-400 ski resorts within 3hrs of Munich.

Garmisch gets too busy at weekends. Skiing is average.

Rich locals go to Kitzbuehel and Oberlech / Lech / Zuers.

Good skiers go to Verbier or St Anton.
latest report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Hi @Dmitri many year ago I used to work in Nuremberg, that was about 80 mins drive from Munchen.
Our weekend favourite was Kitzbuehl but we never went to Soll, I think we missed out.
St Anton was another favourite with Ishgl.

Have fun!
latest report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
cooperman17 wrote:
Obersdorf is closer with Nebelhorn and Fellhorn as options.

Closer still is Oberjoch, but this is a smaller ski area.
From Munich? Oberstdorf is a lot further than Garmisch. Nearly 2 hours vs about 1 hour.
So many choices within 2 hours drive, even more within 3 hours. For a 1 hour drive go to Garmisch. For a two hour drive take somewhere like Söll or Kitzbühel. For a 2.5 to 3 hour drive take St.Anton or Ischgl.
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
@scr, @Hamish, Wow that looks really convenient. I can take my skis on the train?

@Whitegold, The first thing I did was to google for resorts near Munich and there were so many I didn't know where to start. As I will have accommodation in Munich I was looking for places I could reach in an hour or so really to avoid an overnight stay....gorgeous though Verbier and St Anton are.
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
@DrLawn, hey how are you? You going to the EoSB?

Kitzbuehl looks just about in range Very Happy

@Gämsbock, thanks for the tip. I bet the returns were pretty lively from what I've seen of Austrian apres Laughing
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
I think I'm right in saying that there a daily ski bus from Munich drops you off at the bottom of the Flekembahn, that's part of the Kitzbuhel ski area
latest report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy