Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Skiing the Dolomites in a week

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
Hello there - newbie to the forum.

We were planning a trip from the UK to the Dolomites for late march so should hopefully still catch some snow.

We were planning to do the sella Ronda circuit and the marmolada and we were thinking of basing ourselves in either Alpe di Suisi or cortina d'ampezzo but at the moment leaning more towards Alpe di suisi.

We were wondering if it was possible at all to ski from Alpe di Siusi - to cortina D ampezzo for lunch and then back or is that a little bit too ridiculous?

Also what circuits would people recommend we do in a week - we would ideally see as much of the Dolomites as possible really. If it helps the hotel we are staying at is Sporthotel Floralpina which is apparently on piste so hopefully we shouldn't have too much downtime catching buses etc.

Would greatly appreciate all your help!! Smile
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
You can't ski to Cortina. Need a car/taxi/bus.
As for circuits to do, depends on the snow and your abilities. Alpe di Suisi is a good place to be based.
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
The trouble with staying actually on the Alpe Di Siusi plateau is that you have to get off the plateau and onto the Sella Ronda circuit to get to Cortina. Yes its doable but it will take a long time and will involve a bus for part of the journey.

Suffice to say that basing yourself in Alpe Di Siusi area is probably not ideal to access the rest of the Dolomite areas. I would personally stay in one of the villages (Selva, Colfosco, Corvara, Arraba, Canazei) on the Sella Ronda route.
snow conditions
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
^^^ what he said. Google maps put Alpe di suisi in Selva area so got me confused.
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Ah many thanks for the suggestions - somehow i thought all the areas in the dolomite super ski area were interconnected so as long as you were near one chair lift you could get access to all the super ski areas! Thanks for clearing that up!
latest report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
Prozachigh wrote:
Ah many thanks for the suggestions - somehow i thought all the areas in the dolomite super ski area were interconnected so as long as you were near one chair lift you could get access to all the super ski areas! Thanks for clearing that up!

Some are connected on skis (ie. the Sella Ronda), but others need a bus/car/taxi in between. You need at least 2 buses/taxis to get from Alpe di Siusi to Cortina to bridge the gaps in the lift systems. I very much doubt you would be able to get there & back in a day on skis, it's a long, long way.

I know you've already booked, but a word of warning...there hasn't been a lot of snow in the Dolomites this season, so it could be wearing very thin by late-March if a huge dump doesn't arrive soon.

You can get a ski-bus from Saltria (near your hotel) to Monte Pana (above S Cristina) where you can link into the main Sella Ronda lifts.
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Imho, colfosco or Arabia are best for skiing all the different areas. I agree that late march could be tricky for the Dolomites this year unless they get a lot more snow in the meantime. It can be very slushy late in the season too.
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Having said the above, we had a fabulous holiday in madonna Di campiglio a few years back in the second week of April and it snowed gently most days! If you can afford to wait a bit to make your booking it would be a good thing.
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
+1 on Colfosco or Arabba as good bases to reach Cortina and Marmolada. San Cassiano also a good bet, more towards Cortina. Check out the web cams around the Dolomites for a look at snow cover. Grim so far this year. Feb and March can be snowy so commit late if possible.
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
If you want to maximise do-able ski miles then the best bet is to find somewhere close to the sella ronda. That would include Selva, Canazei, Arabba, San Cassiano, La Villa, Corvara, Colfosco. Cortina is not the best option. You can get onto Sella Ronda from Ortisei (alpe di siusi) but it may take at an hour or so to get there.

Natural snow has been thin, but the Italians have done a fantastic job with snow cannons. (I really mean that -- incredibly well maintained pistes) And it is now snowing again so I wouldn't worry too much.
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Nice to know @chomski, that the artificial is in good condition and that it's snowing, looks like more snow will be coming over next two weeks,we're coming out to colfosco at the end of the month.
latest report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy