Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Venice to Selva route

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
Hi all,

We're skiing in Selva / Val Gardena in Feb. We're flying into Venice Treviso, then driving to Selva.

There's quite a few route options. - does anyone have a recommendation? And how long it might take?

TIA
latest report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
I think the standard route is A27 then SP251 at Longarone towards Arraba, then over the pass to Corvara and carry on from there.

Google maps says to allow around 3 hours.

There are tolls on the A27. I don't know how much they are or whether they ever lead to delays, maybe someone else could add to this.

Edit: OK, A quick look on http://www.autostrade.it/ says the tolls will be 4.80 euro.
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
If there is a possibility of snow problems on the Dolomite passes then I would go on the A57/A22 autoroutes and turn off at Ponte Gardena onto the SS242 route to Selva. Might look longer on the maps but the time is roughly the same as the A27/SP251 route
snow conditions
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
Great, thanks vm @olderscot and @jimmybog.

You've illustrated the reason I asked beautifully - I'd also checked the google maps route, but an Italian friend recommended @jimmybog's route, which as he says looks *much* longer. Given that I'll have a bunch of potentially car sick kids in the bus, I think we'll take the autoroutes and stop for dinner. Now, if I can find somewhere on the route that shows the spurs match, life will be perfect!
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Wow, OK. So along past Verona and then up the A22. Google Maps says 4 hours but I guess if that's against the risk of slow roads and maybe tricky passes from the snow then I guess it makes sense.
snow conditions
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
As Jimmybog says. I'd pick up the A27, head twd Venice, pick up the A4 Tangenziale to Verona, then N on the A22 Brenner motorway, off just N of Bolzano for Ponte Gardena, then up Val Gardena, it misses all the mountain passes.

It looks a lot longer on the map, but it's straight and (relatively) flat, you'll be grateful of the high average speed you can maintain. If you were to straighten all the bends out on the apparently 'shorter' routes, they would work out a lot longer than they appear and a lot slower average speed.

Alternatively, if you want a scenic route and don't mind 2000+m passes, head N on A22, then on the well-engineered SS51 to Cortina, then hang left on SR48 to Falzarego Pass, hang right on SP24 to La Villa. Left on SR244 to Corvara. Right on SR243 over the Gardena Pass to Selva. Maybe you could do that route in reverse on the way home?

Another well-engineered, lowish altitude, but scenic route is the SR348 twd Feltre, then SR50 & SR47 along Val Sugana to Trento where you can pick up the A22 Brenner motorway.
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
I made the mistake of asking my 17 year old to direct me on to motorway from Venice, intending to go up via Verona and come off junction after Bolzano. Found myself on the A27 heading in the direction of Corina/Corvara.
Didn't really enjoy that once it got dark.

But then came back via Verona and almost missed my flight the traffic between Selva and Verona was that bad (Saturday after New Year). Worth checking google maps for traffic delays before choosing route. And in snowy conditions go via Verona/Bolzano.
latest report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy