Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Driving from Geneva to morizine mid march

Poster: A snowHead
I will be arriving in Geneva at 4pm on a Friday in mid March. Is it sensible to drive up to Morizine that evening in principle. Clearly if there has been a dump of snow daylight is best.

Just wondering what the general parameters would be for those in the "know".

I've driven in in daylight a few times, just not in the dark, am I being over cautious or stupid.
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
@Paul Chittenden, renting Swiss side? thus snow tyres? you are being over cautious...
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
@under a new name, but what about the Friday night Geneva rush hour? Puzzled
snow conditions
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Quote:

Is it sensible to drive up to Morizine that evening in principle.

Absolutely - even if there is a dump of snow, and even in the dark, should you be delayed. It's mostly motorway. And you'll have chains if it's really chucking it down (as you will, of course, be hoping....)
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
@BergenBergen, I would avoid it but even if delayed by an hour or so at Bardonnex still not any issue. Depending on the route, it's not mostly motorway... coming off at J-15 Vallee Verte I reckon you're mostly not on motorway.

Anyway, whichever, any of the routes are well cleared and well used. So, get on with it.
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
The question for you @Paul Chittenden, is do you want to ski on Saturday or not?

If you do drive Friday night, you'll get to resort at about 18:30/19:00 and if lucky sort your skis out when you do!
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Thank you very much everyone!

Quote:

renting Swiss side? thus snow tyres? you are being over cautious...

Yes renting at Swiss side!

Quote:

I would avoid it but even if delayed by an hour or so at Bardonnex still not any issue.

Thanks for that timescale, having driven the M25 on a Friday, I guess an hour or so, isn't too bad considering its a national border.

Quote:

is do you want to ski on Saturday or not?

Very much so as its just a long weekend skiing for me, I hadn't factored the shops still being open, so that will be a result if we can get the kit sorted snowHead
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
I think shops typically close at 19h00 but at least you are on site early in the morning to get kit if you don't get there in time.
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You will be fine but don't ever be tempted to take the short cut through Geneva city. I did this once and it took 2 hours to get onto the (empty) motorway. It can't have been much more than 5km. Never again.

Go out on the A1 motorway and then round to the south on the A41 and then A40.
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Geneva, like all big cities is busy on Friday nights.
Many people like me travel into Switzerland to work and go back to France where they live either every evening, or every Friday evening. ( Requirement of Work Permit G )
I am picking some friends up tonight at 5:30, but we will not go via the Motorway towards France, as there are always queues in the tunnels and at Bardonnex. (Especially bad on Fridays)
Instead I will take the motorway 2 junctions towards Lausanne, and come off at Route Du Lac, go along past the Botanical gardens, over Pont de Mont Blanc, and follow the lake round towards Evian then take the contournement round Thonon and the D902 towards Mozine.
It will be busy along past the Gd Hotel de Kempinsky and President Wilson, but its nicer to sit in a traffic queue by the lake, than on the highway or in a tunnel. Normally this route takes about 1hr15 mins. I expect it to take 1hr 45 tonight, so it will be about the same as the highway ( only 17 KM shorter).
@bar shaker I do not understand why you would head into the city on a 2 hour sight seeing trip if you were going to take the motorway ?
The motorway is straight out of the airport, turn left at Ikea, then first right - job done.
snow conditions
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
@WindOfChange, Interesting to see your route. I usually take the exit before you and follow Route de Ferney past the UN and then down to the lake. this its the way the Magic Transfers drivers go. Certainly better than straight into the centre but as you are a regular I might follow your route next time.
latest report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
@WindOfChange, on a busy evening younreckon thru town is better? I invariably take the motorway but force guests (non paying of course) to use TPG of an evening...
latest report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
You will be absolutely fine - even Geneva traffic from airport to border in mega rush hour is normally only 30mins at worst ( I counted with a screaming baby in the car last time). Some of the ski hire delivery companies doorstep, ski mobile, all mountain will come out later than 7 to sort you out in the morning.

I disagree with the through town comment. It's never been quicker for me at that time and for holiday makers, in the dark it's more of a PITA.
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Loads of Information thank you

@under a new name, @bar shaker, @WindOfChange, @DJL, @Nadenoodlee,
snow conditions
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
WindOfChange wrote:

@bar shaker I do not understand why you would head into the city on a 2 hour sight seeing trip if you were going to take the motorway ?
The motorway is straight out of the airport, turn left at Ikea, then first right - job done.

I blindly followed a satnav Confused
snow report
@Paul Chittenden, I'm not sure if it's good news or bad, but if it's dumping down in the Alps the chances are it will be peeing down in Morzine.
ski holidays
@DJL when I was a transfer driver a was doing a joint transfer (2 vans > 8 pax) from Chatel to GVA. The other van was a couple of vehicles ahead as we turned up past the President Wilson. He took the left lane and went up past the UN, and I took the right lane and along Route Du Lac. I had un-loaded the passengers and their luggage, collected my tip, wished them a good trip and pulled out of the space and left the car park before the other van arrived. To be fair I do not know if the difference is the same coming the other way, as I never did it with 2 vans, but it is certainly quicker going TO the airport.
@Underanewname It is bad on Friday in rush hour which ever way go go ( personally I prefer to sit in traffic by the lake than on the highway). The Friday in question (5 days ago) it took 1hr 50, so marginally longer than I thought, but there was a broken down bus between Corsier and the border and we had to take a diversion through Veigy.
@FoxtrotZulu its currently snowing @ 1250m, so Morzine is probably right on the limit.
snow report
@WindOfChange, indeed. By mid-March it is ever more likely it will be underneath the snow-rain line.
snow conditions
Last season the best snow came in March.
Early season was a bit like this year, but I remember it snowed for a week straight last march, and can recall being stuck waist deep and having to crawl out from under the Cornebois chair to the mirth of those on the chair above Smile
ski holidays
WindOfChange wrote:
Last season the best snow came in March.
Early season was a bit like this year, but I remember it snowed for a week straight last march, and can recall being stuck waist deep and having to crawl out from under the Cornebois chair to the mirth of those on the chair above Smile

Last season pretty much the only snow in Morzine was in March. I was lucky to arrive 2 days after the snow, but almost didn't bother going.

The climate has not been kind to Morzine these last few years.
ski holidays
bar shaker wrote:
The climate has not been kind to Morzine these last few years.

And yet still they come. Must be the huge investments in snow making, link to Avoriaz and largest ski area that lures them in and the fact it isnt some hideous tower block concoction (Avoriaz excluded).

This is my third season in a row here and I should point out I am not employed by the hospitality industry here and really i would like it if you didnt all come over because then it would be quieter for ME, but really, other than christmas (consistently crap) and New Year this year - we have always found decent skiing. If the snows poor in Morzine - go to Avoriaz, if its windy in Avoriaz - go to Morzine/ Les Gets, if its really busy go to Mont Chery or Pre La Joux.
ski holidays
I remember last season very differently to bar shaker. Once it finally started snowing in January, it didn't seem to stop. Not huge qty's, but it seemed to be overcast and snowing to some extent most days, other than a week in March, I'd say a lack of sunshine was more of an issue. Also kept snowing through April and into May, in Avoriaz.
snow conditions
I think this thread may have, inadvertently, taken a wrong turn. The OP's question and my comments were not about the snow/skiing conditions in Morzine, but about the likelihood of the access routes being difficult due to snow. There will be masses of snow in the PdS and access to masses of skiing from Morzine. I was just making the point that Morzine itself is pretty low and therefore the roads are more likely to be wet than snowy.
latest report
DJL wrote:
@WindOfChange, Interesting to see your route. I usually take the exit before you and follow Route de Ferney past the UN and then down to the lake. this its the way the Magic Transfers drivers go. Certainly better than straight into the centre but as you are a regular I might follow your route next time.

We always go route de Ferney, although starting from the French side and coming through Ferney Voltaire and then follow the road around Quai Wilson and out on the D1005 along the lake to Thonon, and then up the D902. Admittedly we're going to St Jean d'Aulpes off the 0600 Edinburgh flight on a Saturday. But we can be skiing by noon Happy This is prior to relocating to Chapelle d'Abondance for the week. But I think I'd use that route for Morzine as well, it's so easy.
latest report
At 0600 on a Saturday I'd do laps of the M25 with a drive past of Trafalgar square @andyrew, doesn't mean I'd do it on a weekday.
latest report
0600 is departure from Edinburgh of course. Trip through Geneva starting about 1030 but still not bad. Done same trip 6pm ish though with no problem
(But coming from Scotland, I wouldn't touch the m25 at any time,. I'm used to motorways you need full beam on in the evening !)
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy