Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Verbier - grooming?

Poster: A snowHead
Hey wise skiers of Europe - my American group is coming over to Verbier and I'm wanting to know about their pistes. Whether and how much do they groom? I keep reading about the famed moguls of Verbier and am hoping that's just a few runs. Our legs aren't as young as they once were. We really appreciated the grooming - every piste, every night - at St. Anton and Val d'Isere. Thanks in advance for the scoop.

cjm
latest report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
@CJM, welcome to snowHeads.

If you want piste skiing you're going to the wrong resort.
snow conditions
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
spyderjon wrote:
@CJM, welcome to snowHeads.

If you want piste skiing you're going to the wrong resort.

But there's lots of piste skiing in Verbier and the 4Vs Confused
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
@CJM, Wrong resort. You go to Verbier because they don't bash the pistes. Verbier has some of the best bump fields I have ever come across. You go to Verbier because of the bumps.
snow conditions
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
I disagree. Yes there is an abundance of excellent off piste/bumps opportunity in Verbier however if you stick to the pistes then you will find them well groomed and in excellent condition with plenty of smooth motorway cruising, don't be alarmed.
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
@mark70, @johnE, maybe, but it doesn't mean there won't be something for @CJM, ? As an example we're going to Zermatt because it's an iconic resort *(and we love Switzerland), i'd go to Verbier to tick it and some of it's runs off, but not everyone targets resorts in that way. There will be well groomed runs everywhere, but it's not the reason you go. Granted you may go to Verbier for Tortin, but it's not the be all and end all of it*.

* I'm certainly in the group of go to place X for run Y and to tick it off!
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
@spyderjon/@JohnE - Ummm, sorry, but I'd have to disagree 100%. I've skied the 4 Valleys and have had an apartment there for over 14 years. It's an outstanding resort for groomed piste, heli-ski and off-piste skiing as well as moguls. They have an impressive mogul field at Chassoure, which goes on forever and is great if that's what you want. But they also have over 400 Kms of linked, bashed pistes as well, with the main part around Verbier, Savoleyres, Tortin and Siviez about 250Kms. I'm too old (63) to be bothering with Chassoure and the Mt.Fort Glacier nowadays (unless it's post heavy snow and the Glacier is non-mogul-y) but I love the area. I was there only a couple of Weekends ago and skiied the Savoleyres area for a couple of days (below). To set expectations, the snow cover is fairly thin this year, but it has and continues to be cold, so lower slopes are very reliant on snow cannon at the moment. But that's true of most of the Alps at currently and could all change, of course. Hopefully, you're not visiting during UK/EU school holidays, although it sounds like you're already all booked. If you're flying into Geneva airport, the train and gondola is a viable alternative to hiring a car that you'll end up parking in an expensive garage (see integrated timetable at http://www.sbb.ch/en/home.html). Alternatively, if you have a car and fancy a break, one of Switzerland's biggest thermal resorts is nearby at Saillon and might be fun as a day out (https://www.bainsdesaillon.ch/en/), For any culture vultures, the Giannada Foundation in Martigny has a world-class painting and sculpture collection (http://gianadda.ch/wq_pages/en/informations/index.php). For general Verbier information go to the main website at http://www.verbier.ch/en/index.htm?hide_data=&tri=1027. If you're driving out of Geneva airport with a hire car I have a short Guide we give to people using our apartment that simplifies navigation and clarifies the route around Lake Geneva that I'd be happy to send you.

This level of grooming is typical, although it was taken on a pre-Christmas weekday (11 December 2016) early at 09:45. There were at least 4-5 people on this segment by the afternoon, but expect it to be much busier in peak weeks and school holidays. They don't do the French thing of running the piste bashers when the slopes are open - if it snows during the day then it'll build up on piste. But I'd rather have that than risk collision with piste bashers in misty/snowy conditions.

The best weather forecast is via the national meteorological service http://www.meteoswiss.admin.ch/home.html?tab=overview and their app is worth loading ('MeteoSwiss') as is the Verbier app ('Verbier connect') which also has webcam links, piste and lift status, news etc. as does the alternative 'Verbier 4 VALLÉES' app which also has a regular video TV report (WebTV). If you're flying via Geneva Airport then their app is worth loading for flight updates etc. ('GVApp') especially when flying out of GVA.
latest report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Thanks to all, and particular thanks to LaForet for the information. I didn't mean to set off a disagreement, but perhaps I was a bit vague. We are a group of 26 strong-to-expert skiers in our 50s-70s and chose Verbier as this year's destination last spring, because we wanted a more challenging ski resort. Some of us will be hiring a guide and doing off-piste touring, others want to ski groomed runs and enjoy long lunches with nice bottles of wine. It was for the latter group that I began to get worried.

LaForet - thanks again for the great info and lovely pic. I will totally download those apps. Although we won't have a car, that thermal resort sounds nice and I will check to see if there are other travel options to visit.
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
@CJM, I've been to Verbier a number of times and I think it'll be perfect for your group. Yes, there are a lot of ungroomed pistes and itineries, but also a lot of groomed pistes for those that want a bit of piste cruising. Savolyeres is a great area and a trip across to Bruson would be good for all too. It's a great ski area.
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
@CJM, you'll be fine. If you want any restaurant recommendations do say.
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
For those wanting an easier off piste challenge there are also the itinerarires which are marked runs that are not bashed (groomed). They are well signed, well used and great fun...in particular the one from Mont Fort to Tortin (pretty easy) and the Vallon D'Arbi (which is a bit more challenging but lovely through the tress at the end...plus it takes you out by a little bar in La Tzoumaz for a post run drink(.

Enjoy Switzerland...in particular their food and wine!
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
@CJM, I agree with@Steve Sparks, you'll all have a great time and there will be something for all your group....have fun.
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
It wouldn't have been my first choice for piste cruising as it is heavy on the cat tracks if you actually want to go anywhere. As others have stated, though, there is some good pisted skiing but it is mainly over towards Veysonnaz. I reckon it is worth the trip.

Note that the itinerary runs are marked but there are warnings present stating that no avalanche contol work is done. In practice lot of control work is done on some of them and the actual risk in many places is so close to zero that it isn't worth discussing. In others, like Eteygeon and the Vallon d'Arbi, regular alpine hazards are present and need to be managed.
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
@CJM, Now I see your complete group you have made the correct choice.

@LaForet, why at only 63 do you think
Quote:

I'm too old (63) to be bothering with Chassoure and the Mt.Fort Glacier nowadays

I don't understand youngsters these days
snow conditions
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Steve and others - yes, I would love some on-mountain restaurant recommendations. And apres' recommendations too. Will never forget walking into the "chicken shack" at St. Anton and finding Austrians dancing on the tables in their ski boots. That place was so much fun.
My wife really enjoyed skiing down to town afterwards too. Happy
ski holidays
4V does not have 400 km, no way near.
ski holidays
@CJM, Pub Mont Fort and Fer a Cheval for Apres-Ski. Toofy Grin
snow report
@Langerzug: Yes, 400kms. That's what the official website says. I do appreciate that these figures are always a bit inflated and some of the connections like Plan du Feu / Nendaz are restrictive (i.e. there are segments you wouldn't bother taking the time to do) - but that's the number. All resorts add up every last bit of piste and publish a figure that makes you think 'Really?' but it's just a comparative number. I wouldn't pick out 4 Valleys as any more or less accurate in this regard. Everyone takes these figures with a pinch of salt.

@CJM: On-piste restaurants - I like Chez Simon if you're in the Savoleyres sector. Family-run, iinformal and tucked-away on the runs down to La Tzoumaz from Savoleyres. Simon Laurenti is the eponymous owner and works on site with his son, who also owns a winery in the valley, so great choice of local wines. Worth researching Valais wines, as they're interesting - genetically, some local-only varieties like Diolinoir and Humagne Rouge are Italian, of Roman origin, and missed the big French blight that meant a lot of modern French vines are actually North American re-imports. In the afternoon, Chez Simon often bake their own apple tart - perfect with a glass of vin chaud (spiced hot red wine), before heading home. Over in Verbier, the Cabin du Mont Fort (on the route down from Col de Gentianes to La Chaux) has terrific views across to the Mt.Blanc Massif but is mainly outdoors, so better in good weather.
snow conditions
I just have to take in the sunsets at Chez Dani off the return run below Ruinettes...keep your eyes skinned for the sign to the left and expect a bumpy road in.
Down at Siviez there's a nice restaurant if you walk across the car park beyond the lift base station.
Plenty of others on the piste map but I didn't think last year's map was very easy to read.
snow report
@LaForet, it is simply The Best Apple Tart In The World.

There is no discussion, it is fact.

(I will be having some tomorrow Very Happy )
latest report
Thanks for all the recommendations and tips. It sounds lovely - can't wait. Am putting the apple tart and vin chaud on the must experience list!
ski holidays
Nendaz is now truly linked up! The snow cannons that were installed over the Summer are extremely effective. I counted 15 cannons from Tracouet down to Prarion and then another 10 or so up on the Plan de Fou side up to the cable car - meaning that the Black run 'La Fontaines' is now more of a steep Red than a Black run. There are also cannons on the run from Plan de Fou down to Siviez. The link to Siviez was open on the first day of the season and has been open ever since despite the lack of early snow. We have skied it every day this week and the snow conditions were great. Also due to the greater number of skiers using the link, the cable car up to Plan de Fou is running every 5 minutes so there is minimal delay. In fact, from arriving at Tracouet it took us no longer than 35 minutes to reach Siviez.
This is great news for Nendaz as they have received a lot of criticism (rightly so) for poor accessibility to the other valleys. This problem has now been rectified so please go out and tell all of you friends that Nendaz is now an integral part of the 'Quattre Vallees' !!
ski holidays
@Paul Holroyd, This is good to hear. I was in Nendaz in April last year and it was awesome fun (we had to drive to Siviez though as it was the last week of the season and the lift was shut in Nendaz (so I never did the black run). I'm about to book another trip for next season for my group of mixed abilities from advanced to beginners (the latter who will be perfectly happy just sticking to the Nendaz area). I was worried about how the intermediate folks would get back to Nendaz on skis (we are not driving this time) but I'm hoping that Les Fontaines will be doable given it is wide and now (temperature-dependent) has snow cannons to help. So looking forward to returning there. Shame I have to wait a year though (but family trip in Les Carroz coming up in 6 weeks Toofy Grin )
latest report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy