Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

3 Valleys Tartiflette, anyone?

Poster: A snowHead
We've just got back from a great trip to the 3 Valleys - and never cease to be amazed by the prices over there (but, nevertheless, still keep going back for more....)

Anyway, just a quick quiz question for those who may be interested in a bit of daftness.

Spotted on the menu at the mountain restaurant at the top of the Pas du Lac gondola in Courchevel - 4 courses:-

- Soupe du jour
- Tartiflette
- Chocolate cake
- Coffee.

Guess how much? Toofy Grin

Suffice to say, we made do with our picnic and flask of coffee (in the sun). wink
latest report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
€39
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
47 euros.
latest report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
51 euro
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Nothing would surprise me in 3V. I love the place but can't justify the costs compared to some other French resorts and especially not compared to Austria and Italy.
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
There are plenty of places wit good value food in the 3vs. You don't have to look too hard.

Equally there are lots of expensive places.
latest report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Chalet de la masse, on the blue runs on way back to the base of La Masse: nice tartiflette 17.50 euros. Huge salade montagnard for 14 euros and a 50cl of wine for 10.50

Or the other day their menu du jour: Salad starter, main of turkey in cream sauce and rice, tiramisu, and coffee, all for 20 euros.
snow conditions
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
€65 Puzzled
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
€65 Puzzled
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
50 Euros?
latest report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
andy1234 wrote:
Chalet de la masse, on the blue runs on way back to the base of La Masse: nice tartiflette 17.50 euros. Huge salade montagnard for 14 euros and a 50cl of wine for 10.50

Or the other day their menu du jour: Salad starter, main of turkey in cream sauce and rice, tiramisu, and coffee, all for 20 euros.

I have had a few enjoyable lunches there. Vin chauds good value as well. Best before the sun pops over the top,
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Thanks all!

And the winner is.......

(Roll on the drums......)

Mountainaddict, who underestimated the price by a mere €4.

The soup was a bargain €18, Tartiflette €32, choccy cake a snip at €14 and a coffee €5. So, a few coppers change from €70 per head. Shocked

That Chalet de la Masse sounds great value for €20 though! Are there any other (affordable/reasonable) gems worth knowing about in the 3Vs? We are almost at the point of not looking anymore as the price of food (& drink) just seems to become more ridiculous with each visit.

I suppose we've been spoiled by €8-9 main courses in Austria on the mountain and €3-4 soups. But I still can't help but wonder how goods can leave a supermarket in France or Austria at relatively similar prices but then be double the price (at least) of Austria by the time those goods are converted into a meal in a French mountain (or resort) restaurant.

I'm like looking forward to Pam W advising us how much my Tartiflette meal would cost in her neck of the woods. It always sounds like it's far more reasonably priced there.
latest report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
@Bergmeister, in Les MEnuires where you ski through the buildings towards the bridge on the way to La Masse on the corner on the right hand side is a burger place that was OK.

The pizza place in Rebert by la ferme is reasonable.
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
@Bergmeister, Tartiflette+salad for 13.50€ at the Bivouac in Serre Chevalier. Self-service.
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
I can remember the Ski Club of Great Britain Rep in Meribel taking us to some self service place at the top of the Saluire lift I think it was. Got a job to remember now as this was about 8 years ago.
€25 for a jumbo sausage and chips rings a bell.
I realise not everywhere in France is a rip-off but this is partly why I do the vast majority of my skiing in Austria. I feel a lot more comfortable with the prices for food there which I feel are reasonable sums of money for what it is.
I will never forget the price of a large beer in Val D'Isere again about 7-8 years ago. €8.
It was about €4 in St Anton the other week.

There is a little place under the Rond Point pub in Meribel that serves paninis and the like and I seem to remember those being reasonable prices for the area.

There's a little place in Courchevel 1850 as well that was similar. Think it was in the shopping centre where the climbing wall is.
latest report
@Hells Bells, yes I had noticed the prices in Serre Chevalier were far more sensible.
snow report
@VolklAttivaS5, it was the only one I could find online prices for, and it is very reasonable. Mostly plat du jour is around 14-15€. I always gulp at the Val Thorens prices when we go to the EoSB. Hence the eating in at night.
snow conditions
@Hells Bells, yes my very first skiing trip as an adult was to Val Thorens actually and we stayed in a studio.
It turned out to be a shithole so not really somewhere where you would want to be cooking and staying in. Eating out every night for a week though in VT turned out to be very expensive so we learned from that mistake. You live and learn though.
latest report
The plat du jours are definitely the most reasonable option anywhere in French resorts really

I had a delicious meal in Stuben the other week and it was a lovely place too, waiter service and you were to leave your coats helmets and bags in the foyer before entering the dining room. There were coat hangers, hooks and rails available for all the stuff. There were little phone lockers too where you could charge your phone whilst having lunch. I thought to myself it might be a bit pricey based on first impressions but my Tiroler Grostl with salad was €13. Large beer €4.

Lovely place.
snow report
Quote:

Are there any other (affordable/reasonable) gems worth knowing about in the 3Vs?

Maybe we were just lucky, but we lunched pretty well last year and weren't spending a fortune. Tariflette in the self service bit at the Folie Douce was about 20 euro and really tasty. The plat de jours at the Bouc Blanc above La Tania is decent. There's a restaurant on the left as you head down into St Martin, where the Biollay and St Martin 2 lifts meet, that had a massive sausage for a good price.

Like I said, maybe we were just lucky. We certainly never stopped anywhere at those prices. I'm back out on Saturday, so hopefully everything hasn't gone up massively in a year!!
latest report
Norrin Radd,

I like my burgers - but have yet to see one in France that isn't pink/raw in the middle. Food poisoning r us?! Shocked
snow report
@Bergmeister, another guest in a chalet I stayed in was a butcher who explained to me why that's ok.

It's because if you sweep up all the old toot to make cheap burgers then you'd need to cook them properly to avoid risk of contaminants from things like offal etc affecting the delivered food.

If on the other hand the example that predominates in France is used, usually minced on demand from straight steak cuts, then you can in reality eat it raw, as in steak tartar.

We bought beef burgers from a butcher in Val Cenis which they made in front of us in a machine, my kids rate these as the absolute pinnacle of burgers so far eaten and judge everything against those. They also like them rare if the meat is that good.
ski holidays
@ski3, I believe this to be the case. You can eat a rawish burger in France, but not from Amigo's Kebab van.
snow report
Think my personal record is a large coke, when asked if we wanted "serieux" said yes, with a rather stonking hangover going on, and it came out in a big beer stein, probably 1.5 litres. 18 euros. Yep, 18 euros for a coke. Think that was somewhere in the PDS. I couldn't even drink the last third of it, even with the stonking hangover.
latest report
@Digger the dinosaur, oh my goodness Laughing
ski holidays
Switzerland (Andermatt) a couple of weeks ago, never saw any mains for less than about £20 and if you wanted a nice steak or similar, no change from £30. Our (not posh) hotel meat fondue was CHF 40 per person.
latest report
Duplicate post

Last edited by And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports. on Wed 1-02-17 20:35; edited 1 time in total
snow report
70 euro, staggering mind you, 2 hot chocolate and a beer, 21euro at les Deux Lacs in VT, just an indicator of some French prices, the skiing is great but back to Austria for me Very Happy
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Quote:

I'm like looking forward to Pam W advising us how much my Tartiflette meal would cost in her neck of the woods.

Laughing Probably about 25 euros. Maybe 30 in one of the smarter restaurants, less in others. There is often a lunch "menu" at a special price. Tartiflette (which I always say with a Caardiff accent) is usually the cheapest thing on most menus.

Not that I can begin to imagine eating all that at lunch time! Soup, Tartiflette and choc cake. Gawd! Shocked

Saying you won't ski in France because of the prices in some restaurants in the 3 Valleys is a bit like saying you wouldn't visit the UK because of the prices charged in smart London bars! My sister recently paid £98 for a round of drinks in a cocktail bar in London. And that was after lunch at the Ritz!

Apples and pears. wink
snow report
I like a bit of France and a bit of Austria but more Austria than France I reckon.
Off to Chamonix next week.
snow report
I'm in Austria this week and while the food is indeed well priced the experience is missing an undefinable something that I get when skiing in France. Guess I just have expensive taste Very Happy
ski holidays
There's a thread somewhere about cheap food in the 3V, I answered a question about it recently. You should be able to find by searching.

I have to say, my 35 Euro pot of melted cheese at the top of Saulire (on a gorgeous day on my first ever ski trip) remains one of my all-time favourite meals, despite the price Very Happy
latest report
Plenty of reasonable places to eat in the 3Vs. One of the attractions of the 3Vs is the range. You can get a very good plat du jour for 13€. More and more great picnic areas available too now as well as well equipped indoor picnic areas for bad weather days.
snow report
VolklAttivaS5 wrote:

There's a little place in Courchevel 1850 as well that was similar. Think it was in the shopping centre where the climbing wall is.

Yes, we often bought lunch in there. Loads of reasonably-priced sarnies and snacks. Probably the cheapest place in Courchevel.

Never saw anyone on the climbing thing though.
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy