Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Two centre holiday Ski Amade?

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
I'm already planning next year's trip after recently returning from Samoens...
Fancy Austria again, and 2 weeks this time so I can actually progress rather than just getting to a tiny bit better than last year (I intend to have a sharpening up lesson too...)
I'm thinking of hiring a car at Salzburg, then driving to Ski Amade (unless anyone's got better suggestions for area? Tempted by Amade just because of amount of terrain and single liftpass).
Where would be the best 2 places to stay to make the most of it? Bad Gastein and Schladming? Filzmoos and Dorfgastein?
Not enormously interested in après ski, just a few decent drinking bars and quality restaurants, but want lots of different runs and trees!
Also, any accommodation suggestions? I'm thinking of selfcatering, but could have a week of that and a week in a hotel...
Any thoughts welcome!
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Flachau is probably a good option for one of the weeks, as there's a large area which can be easily reached from there. The centre of town has something for everyone in terms of bars, restaurants, etc and although you will need to drive or take a bus to get to the outlying areas, they are frequent and painless. We've stayed in Almlust (self-catering apartments) above the Spar several times, and really like it for the location and generally good standard of the accommodation. Hoagascht next door and the Schüsterhaus over the road are the best restaurants in town, the shop couldn't be closer, and the bus stops are about 30 yards away.

For the other, I guess it depends on what you're looking for - I liked the Schladming area on a day visit, and likewise the Gasteinertal, but have never stayed in either.

Alternatively, get the Salzburger Superski pass (€458 for 14 days, compared to €431 for the Amade pass) and go outside of the Amade region for the second week - Saalbach-Hinterglemm is our favourite, but with the pass you could also ski Zell am See, Maria Alm, Zillertal Arena, Kitzbuhel, Ski Welt, etc.
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
We have done this several times in recent years.

Normally arranged airport transfers with the hotel and got a taxi to move resorts on the middle Saturday, ski for a couple of hours in both resorts.

Off the top of my head we have stayed in Dorgastein and Deinten (couple of times), Wagrain and Zauchensee, Schladming and Zauchensee and Schladming and Dienten.

Without a car there are short trips to Fageralm on the ski bus from Schladming and Altenmarkt/Radstadt from Zauchensee which are both a good day out.

We tend to stay in 4 star Hotels and there are plenty of good options in this regard.

I would say if you have a car you can stay just about anywhere in the Amade, only the Gasteinertal that is slightly isloated.
latest report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
@Leonard Smalls,
Ski Amade is split into 4 areas;
The Gasteins
Salburger Sportwelt
Hochkoenig
Dachstein.

Salzbuger Sportwelt (Zauchensee, Flachau, Wagrain) is pretty close to the Dachstein area (Reiteralm, Schladming, Hauser Kaibling).

The Gasteins and the Hochkoenig areas are a little more out of the way and on their own.

I would consider buying the Salzburger Super Ski Pass.
I'd stay a week or less in the Gastein area (maybe daytrip down to Saalbach/Hinterglemm with the super pass if you have it.
Then I'd locate somewhere central to the Sazburger Sportwelt area (around Radstadt/Altenmarkt). Then all of that area and the Dachstein area are available within a 20min drive.
You also have the option to go up to Obertauern in about the same time frame if you have the super pass.

I hope that helps! Let me know when you are kicking about and we might be able to have a blast around Toofy Grin Toofy Grin Toofy Grin
latest report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
We regularly visit the Ski Amade and the Tarentaise and can't think of anything that could better what @flangesax has suggested for all round enjoyment.
latest report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
Shame I can't go tomorrow - suggestions so far are most excellent.
I've been to Saalbach/Hinterglemm and loved it, especially the AsitzBrau. Doing the whole valley, both sides, is a brilliant day out.
As for Sportwelt area, which are the prettiest villages? Went to Alpbach once, which was a lovely place though not enough skiing to keep me happy for more than about 3 days...
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
@Leonard Smalls, I'm a firm fan of Ski Amadé. It has everything from large and varied ski areas, fast lifts, friendly huts, good value for money, gorgeous scenery and quaint intrinsically Austrian towns and villages. For at least one week you can base yourself centrally in Salzburg Sportwelt with the very lovely flangesax family at Haus Suzanne (link above). From there you also have easy access to Schladming and Obertauern with Dachstein West and Hochkönig slightly further afield (but still within a 45 min drive).
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Seconded for flangesax's comments. I just skied the Dachsteins on Sunday, then Obertauern Monday, local resorts yesterday and more planned for today, then Salbach isdue for Thurs, with Schladming on Friday. many of these areas have linked mountains so you can ski four resorts in a day. The Super Salz card is currently only €15.50 more expensive than the Amade one per week, definitely the way to go if you have a car.
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Mind's almost made up, apart from one of our regular ski-trippers is going to Serre Chevalier instead!
If the chair lift seats are heated I'm definitely there...
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
The lifts in the skiwelt sector are fantastic and a number of them (but not all) are heated. It's lovely to find yourself unexpectedly on one that is !
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
@Leonard Smalls, rolling eyes you can never convince a true Francophile!
Heated seats are pretty standard on most new and modern lifts!
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
@pendodave, I dunno.... sometimes I have to have a think.... is it me or the seat??
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
I like it later in the season when every chair has solar powered heating, regardless of how modern it is. wink
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy