Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Chamonix - trip planning

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
Hi there. I'm off to Chamonix for half term with my daughter 12-19th Feb. We have to be in the region of Grandes Montets for three of those days as we have afternoon lessons, 13th, 14th and 15th with Evo2. I have never skied Chamonix before but the chalet has a bus that will run me to various bits of the resort in the morning and pick me up in the afternoon so I have some freedom as to what to do and where to go.

I'm basically on my own with my daughter who is 8. She is a reasonable beginner. At the end of last season she was heading down easier reds (Marrilleva, Italy) with some proficiency and when it comes to ice and bumps she's pretty methodical and doesn't panic. I'd quite like a bit of a plan but am in the dark when it comes to Chamonix, I chose it on a whim late one evening rather than thought it through however, I'm pretty excited now and while we'll have a fantastic time regardless I wouldn't mind some pointers from the more experienced among you as regards where's best to go and which runs might be good. I'm an ok skier on piste - there's not much I can't ski though I'm not blasé about some of the gnarlier blacks and take them pretty carefully. My lessons will be off-piste ones - I'm trying to improve before she overtakes me.
latest report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Everyone is going to want to know where in the valley your staying as to where to direct you to on your first day...but chances are it'll be Le Tour or Brevent-Flegere (more Brevent if the conditions thread is to believed). Before your first lesson at GM, I'd just head to the top of the Bouchard and do a couple of laps in top to bottom. A single run top to bottom with a good beginner will take upto (and possibly over) an hour, but will get you up to speed for your lessons.
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Re-reading your post do you arrive on the 12th and do you hope to ski on that day? If you arrive lateish and still want to ski (and are located somewhere close to the centre of Chamonix) pop over to Planards. Its only three runs off one chair and one drag but at around a tenner for half a day it'll help you find your feet...anywhere else and you'll spend half your time getting to the top of the mountains.
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
I get into Geneva at 9:40 so there is a possibility perhaps of skiing that day but with getting skis, boots etc... with an 8 year old I might be being optimistic.

I'm basically staying opposite the hospital (good planning!!?)
latest report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
With a mini bus opposite the hospital OK as easy walk into town.

Balme-Vallorcine (formerly Le Tour) probably your best general bet. Grands Montets lift colours tend to be optimistic - the runs are a little harder than you'd find with the same grades elsewhere. But not at all unmanageable. You might want to talk it through with Evo as chums have used them the last few years and persuaded them that B_V was a better bet for lessons than GMs. And once viewed, the instructors have all agreed.
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
It's been a while but I've done a week and a weekend in Cham. Both before I had kids. It wouldn't be my favoured resort in your circs but I think you get that and what is done is done. If I was having lessons in the morning in GM (or anywhere else for that matter) I wouldn't be switching midday - too much wasted time. On the other days I would spend a day in each of the other areas. They'd all be great for you and your daughter. Again, no need to waste time switching midday.
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
+1 @Layne correct, switching mid day an unnecessary faff.
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
I've got that I'm in GM for three days - 2 off-piste for me, 3 privates for my daughter (all at the same times so can ski with her) and explore one day while she's in lessons. I do have a friend with me on those three days, my daughter is sharing her lessons and I'm sharing mine. They are of similar ski level but have their own family (who are not as proficient) and as much as I like them, I don't want to spend the whole week with them. Hopefully I'll meet some new people at the chalet too - I'm pretty outgoing and happy to meet new people.
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Your not staying to far from Planards and if your heading to GM on your first full day skiing it will really help finding your ski legs before going high up. If you land in Geneva 9:40 you should easily find time for a couple of hours on that day. There is a bus which will take you up the hill if you don't fancy the walk from the main town.

http://www.ski-chamonix.info/en/les-planards

Edit, 20 euros for a 4 hour pass.
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
@manicpb, "up the hill"? Are you thinking of Savoy perhaps? Rather than Planards which is at town height
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
under a new name wrote:
@manicpb, "up the hill"? Are you thinking of Savoy perhaps? Rather than Planards which is at town height

No, just referring to the "driveway" up to Planards...perhaps "gentle incline" would have been a better description. I Snowboard so have little issue with a 10min walk to a lift, I understand a similar walk in ski boots can be daunting to some. Just throwing the bus option out there as they are free and regular!
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
@manicpb, ah, fair enough then. Yes, from the hospital I would be catching a bus myself across town in ski boots, esp. with an 8 yr old.
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Hi

Myself and my wife have been to Chamonix for the last 3 years. My wife was a complete beginner so Chamonix wasnt the best learning place however whilst she was in ski school Id normally spend day 1 in Les Houches some lovely reds and blues overlooking the valley ( La Cha) was my favourite. Day 2 I would go to Le Tour which was abit harder (Arve) was a brillant run. Day 3 Brevent in the morning then Flegere in the afternoon as a cable car connects the two and there was some nice bars in Flegere. Day 4 and 5 was all about Grand Montets and Coryameur. Free buses connect them all easily.
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy