Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Whistler's January snow total breaks 25-year records

Poster: A snowHead
Records of Whistler's monthly snow totals go back 25 years. January 2006 broke all those records.

All in all, 461cm of snow fell on Whistler last month, compared with the previous record of 459cm in January 1992.

This has come as very good news to the Canadian resort, because last winter's snow record was unusually poor.

This report from SkiPressWorld.
Quote:
“I’ve lost track of all the great lines I’ve had this month; it has been outrageously good,” says Leslie Anthony, Editorial/Creative Director of SKIER Magazine and Whistler resident. “I’ve experienced this type of weather pattern before but in smaller spurts."

And there's another 4 great lines!
latest report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
It was rather good. I'm trying to recall which days weren't powder days - can't think of many!! snowHead snowHead
Off to France this week for a slight change in conditions and a bit of a rest from skiing powder, but then back to Whistler for more of the same hopefully snowHead
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well that's just typical after we spent a fortune going last March!!! Confused Glad you're having fun though Stuart !!! Very Happy
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Yeah really, that will be why i was there in December, and left on New Years eve Evil or Very Mad

Good job i am going back out in just 22 sleeps snowHead

Now now Helen Beaumont, we had great snow last March, definitely the best out there all of that season.
latest report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Robbie, I know!! But all that suspense and reports of rivers running down the slopes were awful.
snowHead
snow conditions
 You'll need to Register first of course.
But can us skiers who dont like deep powder ski there. Do they groom daily?
latest report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Frosty the Snowman wrote:

Yes, some of them, though I suspect the grooming got buried under the 40cm of snow sunday night snowHead We were commenting the other day on how after snow they tend to groom one half on the wider green and blues, whilst leaving the other side ungroomed. I think this is a great idea so powder/bumps beginners can make a few turns in the powder/bumps then return to the groomer whenever, also good for mixed ability groups.

Last edited by Then you can post your own questions or snow reports... on Wed 1-02-06 12:03; edited 1 time in total
latest report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Frosty the Snowman, no, it was actually really hard work, but good fun, and I didn't have any really deep stuff. I actually enjoyed our last day the best, glorious sunshine, good visibilty (It is often foggy), and the slopes on Blackcomb down to the gondola had been groomed well.
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Great news, I am off to Whistler on Friday !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
snowball, If you get chance, do some skiing with Extremely Canadian, they will certainly help make the most of the excellent conditions.
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
stuarth, yes, I shall be skiing Monday and Tuesday with them. I take it you have done so? I'd welcome hearing what they were like. This is my first time in Canada.
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
snowball,
yes, once or twice (or about 15 times I think) snowHead
Extremely Canadian is probably the best program in Whistler in my opinion. It most definitely isn't ski school, they ski you hard and push you behond what you think you really want to be doing as well as finding the best snow on the mountains. Instruction is more directed towards the strategic (ie how to approach certain types of runs, and pick entries and lines) with more technical stuff only where required. Not sure who'll be doing the coaching next week, but I've been skiing with Ricky, Nick, Ralph, and Steve (Clarke) over the last few weeks and all have been excellent (though all slightly crazy!).
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
And to see exactly how that snow's been piling up, check out this thread on Epic:

http://forums.epicski.com/showthread.php?t=34486

Another 6 weeks before I head out. Lets hope it keeps on coming!!!

Frosty the Snowman,
Quote:

No. Do not go to Whistler. Do not pass go. Do not collect £200.

Grooming is a crime against skiing Twisted Evil
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Snowball - you're very lucky, and I'm very jealous that you're going on Friday while I go back to work! Just got back today after 10 days in Whistler and can confirm that the snow is brilliant at the moment. Certainly the best I have ever experienced.

We were lucky enough to have new snow most days of our trip - we spent our days enjoying all the powder, and our evenings looking out of the pub window giggling like school children at all the snow falling!! Our last day of skiing (Monday) was the icing on the cake - 40cm overnight and fresh powder all day long if you know where to look. We certainly got lucky catching the end of their snowiest January, but I think you're going to get it just as good if the amount of rain falling in Vancouver when we left 20 hours ago is anything to go by!!

I'm so depressed to be home....

Enjoy yourself

Billy M
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Thanks,Billy M and stuarth.
Just to make you even more jealous - after that I am going heli-skiing for the first (and probably last) time of my life, a bit further north beside that southern tongue of Alaska. It is a new lodge for 2 groups of 5 guests, each with a guide, They have 2.2 million acres of unoccupied, previously unskied mountains. Heh heh.
Now I just have to dodge too much snow so we can't fly.....
snow report
He he he

I can't stop grinning !!! Face shots all the way down catskinner, gearjammer, yesterday morning. All fresh!!

Woo hoo!!
snow conditions
snowball,

That's hardly fair is it? There's me sitting here back in the UK depressed and unable to sleep as my body tells me it's 6.45pm and I should be in the hot tub planning which pub to head to tonight and which mountain to ski tomorrow, and you're talking about heli-skiing!!!

Funnily enough, over a couple of beers on our last night we were discussing how we could possibly top this holiday next year, and we agreed that it probably couldn't be topped as it was so good. The only thing we could think of that would beat it was heli-skiing in Alaska, alas a little out of our price range. So yes, you've made me even more jealous!!

Inspired by our Whistler holiday, we're now trying to think of a way we can leave the UK and our jobs behind and make a life of skiing...... If only!!

Have a good one.
ski holidays
wee hee, 21 sleeps ...

keep on snowing...

snowHead
snow report
I chose "Last Frontier" (their Ripley Creek lodge) as a compromise between the high number of no-fly days in Alaska and the slightly lesser excitement of Canadian skiing compared to Alaska (ie less steep slopes). I am told they are nearly as exciting and with rather more fly days. Last year all the Ripley guests got to ski routes that no group had ever skied before (and were invited to name them). I'm told they hope to still do it this year.
I'll report when I get back but yes, it is very, very expensive (once in a lifetime - before I get too old to get the best out of it !).
snow report
Frosty the Snowman, I would have to say, that if putting strain on your knees is a problem, then Whistler is probably not for you. Both times I've been there it's had heavy snowfalls (too heavy for the piste bashers to keep up with), and it also tends to be quite wet snow, rather than fluffy light powder, so it can be quite heavy going.
snow conditions
Kramer, thats what I found, the snow was hard work to ski, not nice light fluffy stuff at all.
ski holidays
We're out there for the 25th Feb and it's half-price on ski lessons that week! We've booked the Atomic Dave Murray 3-day camp. Can't wait.

We've booked top-end rental skis, so how good a selection does Whistler have? We were in Alpe D'huez over Christmas and the selection of skis was poor, though we were lucky to both get brand-new Atomic M10s (which didn't look so good at the end of the week after we found EVERY exposed rock in the resort).

Assuming that great snow continues, what skis are recommended? I'm an upper intermediate (5'10"/178cm height, 86kg) who wants to venture more off-piste, but I'd still expect to be spending more than 50% of my time on the groomed.

Never skiied anything that would be considered wide. I did enjoy the Dynastar Legend 4800 last year, which was recommended to me by the shop after I'd said I would 100% on-piste. I later learned that the 4800 was more a 50/50 on-piste/off-piste ski. Not complaining - best ski I'd been on up till then.

hbunny
snow report
hbunny, might see you on the camp then, we're out 25th feb - I'm planning to book the camp for the second week (3rd march?). must get round to it!
ski holidays
hbunny wrote:
We're out there for the 25th Feb and it's half-price on ski lessons that week! We've booked the Atomic Dave Murray 3-day camp. Can't wait.

We've booked top-end rental skis, so how good a selection does Whistler have? We were in Alpe D'huez over Christmas and the selection of skis was poor, though we were lucky to both get brand-new Atomic M10s (which didn't look so good at the end of the week after we found EVERY exposed rock in the resort).

Assuming that great snow continues, what skis are recommended? I'm an upper intermediate (5'10"/178cm height, 86kg) who wants to venture more off-piste, but I'd still expect to be spending more than 50% of my time on the groomed.

Never skiied anything that would be considered wide. I did enjoy the Dynastar Legend 4800 last year, which was recommended to me by the shop after I'd said I would 100% on-piste. I later learned that the 4800 was more a 50/50 on-piste/off-piste ski. Not complaining - best ski I'd been on up till then.

hbunny

Generally the WB rental places have a pretty decent selection - I think if you go to the "rentals" section of the WhistlerBlackcomb website they are listed.

In true Jesse stylee... This season I 'ave been mostly skiing fat(ish) skis (Volkl Karmas, as it hasn't stopped snowing snowHead ) These are 87 underfoot, but I'm considering getting some fatter ones snowHead If conditions are still like they are, I'd reccommend nothing much less than mid-fats (Scream Xtra hot from last year would have bean a good allround option - not sure what this years equivalent is)
snow report
I'll be on DM camp that week too hbunny, snowHead

20 sleeps and counting...
latest report
Smallzookeeper's constant praise of the Volkl Karma has seeped into my brain and I was contemplating that as a potential ski.

Having enjoyed the Dynastar Legend 4800 last season, the Legend 8000 is also on my list, along with the Head Monster IM 72, Volkl AC3, Nordica Hot Rod Nitrous - though these are all skinnier than the Karma.

Maybe I need to re-visit this list if the good snow continues. Head IM 88 looks good - ski of the year over at www.readskiers.com.

Then it's the question of what length.

And what model for the girlfriend.

My head aches (in a good way)!

hbunny
latest report
Fat skis fat skis fat skis

Another 30-40 cm forecast for tonight.......... Neh Neh

I seem to be on my Mojo90's almost permanently these days
snow report
hbunny,

Hey! Good choice! The Dave Murray guys ( Tom Pro & Co ) are sponsered by Atomic, and have Metrons to demo, grab a pair (free of charge I believe for the camp). They are really great all round sks.

I'm skiing a pair of Metrons ( I took the Atomic binding and race riser plate off) with tour bindings on them and they are the best all round ski I have found, wide enough to float happily off piste and in the crud, yet with enough sidecut to carve cleanly on hardpack... My recomendation too!

Have fun!
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Wow, I had almost finished my post when the power went out for a few minutes. We are getting a huge wind storm now through tomorrow. If you're going to Whistler tomorrow, good luck!
I'll try this again. Speaking of record snowfall, Mt Baker had just over 300" fall in January. Base is 204" or 518cm on top now. I skied Wednesday with 9" new and Thursday with 13" new. 22" fell Monday night and into Tuesday. Thurs they opened part of the mountain that had been closed for two days due to avy danger inbounds. It was deeeeeep and untracked snowHead My old Head Monsters (85 wide) did just fine but it would have been fun to try some 100mm skis. I barely remember what it's like to ski in sunshine, it did come out for about 10 minutes though before it started snowing again! If you're going to Whistler and are spending any time in Vancouver, a day trip to Baker is worthwhile. It's a two hour drive. I'm willing to show people around inbounds. The wind is really kicking up now, better post this before the power goes out again. With up to 60mph 100kph wind morning and afternoon tomorrow at 5000ft I'm staying home. Looks like lowering freezing levels, more snow followed by some breaks in the weather for Sunday afternoon, it should be a great day.
Cheers from Bellingham Very Happy
ski holidays
Since we can test-drive some Atomics with the Dave Murray camp we're planning on trying some different manufacturers for our main hire skis for the week.

I really liked the M10s I tried over Christmas, so I'd be interested in trying the M11, B5, M:EX or Sweet Daddy. Any chance of the 2007 models being available for testing with Dave Murray?

hbunny
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy