Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Light weight skis

Poster: A snowHead
Hi

I am unable to use my left arm due to polio when I was very young (I am 62 now) and have found carrying skis around one handed has become a bit of an issue as I have got older.

I am looking for a light weight brand of skis if anyone could help with suggestions please.

Thanks

Stephen.
latest report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
There are quite a few around. Movement as a manufacturer feature lots. Whitedot also have a carbon option on their skis. If you look for touring skis they will be lighter. Black Crow have freebird options on some of their range which are light. Also think about bindings as some can add considerably to the overall weight.
There are a couple of downsides to a light set up; they are unlikely to be as robust as standard skis, and when skiing variable snow they tend to get deflected more, particularly with very light skimo oriented skis.
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
The other problem is that a lot of the 'lightweight' type skis (such as Whitedot Carbonlite range) are quite wide anyway. So although they're lighter than the standard range, they aren't especially light compared to a skinny piste ski.
snow conditions
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
@Steve.S, you can pick light weight Scott touring skis (eg 88m Scott Super Guide) at a good price, though as has been mentioned, you will notice quite a difference in performance on hard boiler plate pistes, it's all a compromise.

Maybe look to a womens orientated piste ski of which there are many out there.

Best of luck
latest report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
@Steve.S, maybe something like the Blizzard Zero-G 85 http://www.blizzard-ski.com/products/zero-g-085/ - ultra light but apparently performs close to mainline skis.
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You could look at Salomon MTN Explore 88 or 95.

I have 95's with kingpins and they are great.
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
I have a pair of Blizzard Latigo skis, with normal alpine bindings. They are a piste orientated all mountain ski (78mm underfoot) and significantly lighter than a friend's full on piste skis (Rossi Hero ST) with rail bindings. The Blizzards are also great skis! Very Happy
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
SnoodlesMcFlude wrote:
The other problem is that a lot of the 'lightweight' type skis (such as Whitedot Carbonlite range) are quite wide anyway. So although they're lighter than the standard range, they aren't especially light compared to a skinny piste ski.

My skinny piste skis (77mm) weigh more than my all mountain (112mm)
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
@Steve.S, As others have mentioned, most if not all piste skis are heavier than touring or powder skis, so it really depends on what your main requirements are. Most piste skis (with bindings) will be in the 5-7kg. The only way to go significantly lower is with touring based skis and bindings (and matching boots), where you could be down below 4kg a pair.

The other problem is that many manufactures don't list the weight of their piste skis, as it isn't usually considered important, whereas weight is everything on touring equipment.

Money also talks, as the lightest equipment is usually the most expensive.

As with @Mosha Marc, my 185cm, 124mm under foot powder skis are significantly lighter than my Sisters 165cm, 65mm under foot piste skis.
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
Touring skis are designed light. Powder skis not necessarily (or indeed commonly)...
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
My 165 WC SLs with a raceplate appear to weigh more than my much much bigger pow skis and definitely more than my Carbonlite all mountains. That's before we get to the way they are intrinsically uncomfortable on my shoulder. Whatever the OP gets he should get them in the flat and avoid a heavy binding.
latest report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
You need this:

http://www.tetongravity.com/forums/showthread.php/76416-The-Official-Ski-Weight-Thread
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
@Steve.S, dynastar mythic 97 would be a great call , they also do an 87 which is super light !!
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
@Steve.S[/b], My sympathies, I have an upper back/neck musculature issue which makes carrying skis a real, literal, pain very quickly, and they all seem heavy and problematic, even the so-called light ones.

My Scott Reverse AMs aren't heavy (though not featherweight), and you can buy them 'flat' (i.e. ski only) so then choose what bindings to put onto the skis (e.g. ask Spyder Jon on here), which might give you some scope to lighten them as much as poss. I'm sure that this arrangement is available with many other skis which can be bought 'flat'.
From memory, the Reverse come in at 166 with Marker demo bindings at just under 5kg for the pair.
Some of Head's 'Joy' range are, I think, pretty light (though female and intermediate orientated, I believe).

Otherwise research the construction information for various skis: it might give some help. Basically, composite and no wood or metal (but these days + with graphene, carbon etc) is probably your lightest (but I am no expert here by any means). May or may not be available in varying performance categories; obviously construction materials will affect the skis' performance, but sometimes needs must...
Some skis are just better balanced to carry than others too, which might be a factor to consider.

I don't know if you carry in hand or over shoudler. Have you thought about/tried various strap carriers - e.g. http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/1PC-Outdoor-Ski-Snowboard-Carrier-Shoulder-Straps-Binding-Protect-Hot-Sale-/122297985968?hash=item1c79872bb0:g:toAAAOSw44BYbK2b[b]. A cheapy product but I actually find it very helpful walking to and from the piste/lifts etc.
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
For firm snow / hardpack the Dynafit Cho Oyu is light but performs well.

http://www.outdoorgearlab.com/Backcountry-Skis-Reviews

For a great allround performer the Völkl BMT 94 is a good choice but they are expensive.

One of the many ski carrying devices as mentioned above would also help.
snow report
Thanks for the help everyone, Anything Technical in Kendal stock Blizzards and having spoken to them they have a couple of other options as well including some ladies skis which may work so I am going to see them on Sunday.
I used a ski carrier in Whistler earlier in January which was a bit of a faff but worked although I do think that this may have contributed to a pulled back costing me 2 days skiing Crying or Very sad
ski holidays
@Steve.S, my friend just bought some Elan Delight skis while we were away on holiday - they are ladies skis, but if the length is suitable I would advise checking some out if you can, quite stunning how little they weigh - I must admit to having some ski envy - and apparently how responsive they were. Hope you find something suitable.
ski holidays
I just picked up some of the Atomic Backland touring skis. They are like feathers Shocked Maybe not stiff enough for hard piste skiing but there are a lot of touring / freeride skis about that perform both functions reasonably but have a width suitable for piste use. And remember the bindings, there are a lot of weight savings available there.
ski holidays
Just a thought, what about something to make the ski's easier to carry rather than changing skis?
snow conditions
Steve.S wrote:
Thanks for the help everyone, Anything Technical in Kendal stock Blizzards and having spoken to them they have a couple of other options as well including some ladies skis which may work so I am going to see them on Sunday.
I used a ski carrier in Whistler earlier in January which was a bit of a faff but worked although I do think that this may have contributed to a pulled back costing me 2 days skiing Crying or Very sad

D'oh - I missed this when writing my post above, sorry!
latest report
Dependent on your intended use then be careful of going too light. Performance piste skis are designed heavy for a reason.

As mentioned above there are differences in binding weight which often stem from a performance envelope well above that required. A Marker squire for example is a nice light DIN binding with a range more than adequate for most folk.
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy