Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Austria - winter tyres & vignettes...

Poster: A snowHead
We are going to Bad Hofgastein in two weeks & having never driven there beforehand thought it prudent to check out the legalities for driving etc.

Just as well as I have discovered that we need a vignette, is this for Germany & Austria?

Where/when do you get them & how much are they?

Winter tyres, are they obligatory? Conflicting info, can someone please clarify legal requirements as we are taking delivery of a new car 1/02/17 & our previous winter wheels/tyres will not fit...do I need to buy new winter tyres/wheels?

Will buy yet another set of chains, acquiring a collection in my garage now Puzzled
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Winter tyres are mandatory for insurance purposes. You need to buy a vignette for using Austrian motorways, available from the service stations as you approach the Austrian border. I would think you are unlikely to need chains.
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Nothing required for motorways in Germany, but if you go off the Autobahn in and around some cities you will need an Umweltplakette, only relevant if you are planning an overnight stop somewhere en route.

Austrian vignette costs €8.90 for 10 days, as above you can pick it up from service stations in Germany as you approach the boarder, and at the border itself. In my experience, the services selling them are indicated as such as you get near to Austria.

Winter tyres you will need, they are a legal requirement in Austria.
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
@queen bodecia, @Sitter, thanks for clarifying the position, can you purchase the vignette on-line prior to departure?

We are staying overnight at a place called Filderstadt, Stuttgart - will we need a Umweltplakette? Assume the hotel is close to the motorway, no intention to tour, make haste for the hills Toofy Grin Very Happy
latest report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
We've done the trip through Austria many times and it's very easy to buy the Vignette at one of the last petrol stations on the Autobahn, or the first in Austria. Really no need to do it on-line. We stop overnight near Ulm, right next to the Autobahn and have never needed an Umweltplakette. Another hint if you are new to driving through Germany - at service stations you have to pay for the seemingly expensive toilets, but you get a voucher (sometimes called 'wert-bon' vouchers). These are redeemable at the shop/restaurant. It's not always immediately obvious how to use them, especially if you are not up to scratch with the language.
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
@Bananamoore, in the ladies there are signs on tbe back of the cubicle doors in english. 1 voucher per item. You cant club them together for 1 thing.
latest report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Don't need an Umweltplakette for Filderstadt. Ulm is one place that technically you might need one. Certainly do if you take that B10 shortcut through the city and stay in a hotel there.

I'd just buy the Austrian vignette at one of the service stations. Cheaper that way. I'd stop at Holzkirchen Service personally (recently rebuilt), and avoid Irschenberg services (unless you fancy the excitement of merging back on to the A8 in a slip road that's about 10 m long with a crash barrier at the end).

Those loo vouchers are hilarious sometimes. Often see people totally confused trying to post them back in to the turnstiles as if it's the permit to get out. Just walk out! Then go use the voucher in the shop. There's now a rolling announcement in the loos in English and German explaining Sanifair.
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
I've never seen an explanation on the back of a loo door, but then again, I'm usually managing two small kids in a tiny space, so may have missed that!
snow conditions
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
No it's an audio announcement in both languages. There's also posters on cubicle doors and for blokes to read standing up, which sometimes are adverts, and sometimes a bi-lingual explanation that you get 50¢ back if you use the voucher in the shop or restaurant.

PS Austrian services are similar, but I think is 50¢ for a pee and you get a 50¢ voucher (Germany is 70¢ for a pee with 50¢ voucher)
latest report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
I was responding to a poster further above who'd mentioned seeing posters in the back of the door! We've done the trip so many times now, I know the score Wink
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Oh missed that one.
I've never had a problem using 2-3 in one purchase.
PS they're valid for 12 months, so not a problem to save them for the return journey or a summer holiday.
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Thanks for the reminder re Irschenberg - think we made that mistake once before..... Can't wait to go at half term Very Happy
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Well that was worth posting my questions earlier, saved me an hour on google, thank you everyone for your input, will source some wheel/tyres & purchase vignette at one of the service stations. Smile

Good tip about the Wc's, will let OH know the script. Toofy Grin
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
@michaelbury17, you do need winter tyres but many (most) tourists totally ignore it. Look at the Dutch registered cars and you will rarely see winters on there. They get away with it but few will be aware of the consequences should they be involved in an accident. I'm so sold on winter tyres I now run them in the UK too.
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Well... this old chestnut again!
Telephone your insurance company and ask them whether you would be insured without winter tyres in Austria.
Sometimes (on high spec cars) the changing to winters can invalidate your insurance as the speed rating is normally too low for the car type.

It is a legal requirement to have suitable tyres from November until around May in Austria (and Bavaria) during 'wintry' conditions. This excludes temperature.
So, it is mandatory to have them to drive in snow, slush and ice.
Snow chains can be added but are only allowed to be used at the time of snow and slush. This then makes your tyres suitable.
So, you could drive to Bad Hofgastein without winters (it is pretty much motorway and A roads all the way but if there is a bit of snow, slush or ice then you are driving illegally.

There.... has that cleared things up Toofy Grin Toofy Grin Toofy Grin
ski holidays
Quote:

has that cleared things up

The snowflake crowd will be along like a flock of seagulls, all squawking 3pms any moment now. Wink
snow conditions
https://www.german-way.com/travel-and-tourism/driving-in-europe/driving/snow-tires-winter-driving/

This may help.
ski holidays
https://www.wbs-law.de/eng/road-traffic-law-eng/law-winter-tyres-germany-48118/

And this one.

Wait until mooney58 stellang and La Foret et all get hold of me. I'll be toast!

Toofy Grin Toofy Grin Toofy Grin Toofy Grin
latest report
@Pruman,

Yes I would agree that some folk will be totally oblivious & 'chance it' - not me though Madeye-Smiley

I appreciate if you are involved in an accident the potential repercussions with the insurance company, pretty much decided to buy another set, I too am a convert & have used them both in the UK & abroad for the past 4 years.

Thanks for input

Toofy Grin
snow report
@flangesax,

Haha well at least it's something to brighten up your day on a miserable January Sunday in the UK rolling eyes

Yes...crystal clear now thanks

Laughing Very Happy Madeye-Smiley
snow conditions
I thought i'd join in with the linky fun!
The first link above is incorrect in reference to Austria.

https://www.help.gv.at/Portal.Node/hlpd/public/content/6/Seite.0631001.html
snow conditions
@ski3,

Got it thanks, winter tyres it is, no question Toofy Grin Toofy Grin

Always interesting to read comments though Toofy Grin
ski holidays
@flangesax,

Ok, I shall comply, I shall comply...

Very Happy Toofy Grin rolling eyes
latest report
@michaelbury17, Good now you are getting it wink in all seriousness though, the first time you ' really ' wish you had the correct equipment will be the last.
snow report
@Chris_n,

oh yes I think I have got it now...I have driven to the Alps previously & after the 1st trip I invested in a set of winters, friends came the following year in an X5, nearly lost it leaving early one morning out of Tignes, that convinced him to get some Puzzled

My question was originally based on the legal issue, not the ideal as new car being delivered Wednesday & existing wheels won't fit, just need to source a set, 2nd hand, great condition left in someones garage preferably Toofy Grin
snow conditions
@michaelbury17, Good luck Toofy Grin
ski holidays
Wheel/tyres bought.... Laughing
snow report
Anyone got any tips for Bad Hofgastein or Super, runs, ski area, apres, restaurants etc Puzzled
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
If you do decide to buy your vignette online

https://www.tolltickets.com/country/austria/vignette.aspx?lang=en-GB&mnu=c

Super efficient and we use them every year and have the vignette through within a couple of days (Scotland), however don't know if I would order so soon before your leave. May be worth noting for the next trip Very Happy
ski holidays
@michaelbury17, we went in 2014 and stayed in the Salzburgerhof (don't take a cat). I really liked the skiing, lots of rollers on Schlossalm and a great red from the top H1. It's promoted as the longest piste in the eastern Alps, high and remote at the top. Sportgastein is worth a trip (road up has a toll or use the bus) great views. Dorfgastein/Großarl was nice as well more trees about, but watch the weather so you don't get stuck on the Großarl side if the wind closes the lifts back. The Jungerstube (bottom of lift 19) cure their own Speck and do some good dishes with it. The Haitzingalm (top of lift 3) was a good pit stop although I didn't get to try the chopped lung soup for some reason Very Happy Apres wise there was a busy umbrella bar next to Schlossalm bottom station or the Gasteinalm across the way at the back of the car park was quite new and popular. Can't comment on the restaurants, but we did notice a vegetarian Shocked one. Across the road a bit from the Salzburgerhof there was a nice little bar called Promillchen and another bar for a late drink called Salute on Sparkassengasse.
latest report
michaelbury17 wrote:
Anyone got any tips for Bad Hofgastein or Super, runs, ski area, apres, restaurants etc Puzzled

Go to the Alpentherme. It's got a lovely outdoor pool, which is worth visiting in itself. The Sauna World area is great, but mixed naked, so Brits are often too prudish to go in.

If the snow is good, spend some time at Graukogel. Don't be put off by how small it looks on the piste map. I had one of my best morning's skiing there a few years ago.

Personally I like the Dorfgastein area better that the Bad Hofgastein / Bad Gastein area. I'm fairly sure it's the Wengeralm in Dorfgastein I've had great lunches at a couple of times - the staff are in traditional dress too which adds to the atmosphere.
ski holidays
@GixerGirl, thanks for the advice, I think we will just get them en route, seems easy enough Skullie
ski holidays
@HutToHut, very comprehensive thanks, will note these down Skullie Toofy Grin
ski holidays
@sugarmoma666, haha brilliant, not sure about the naked saunas though, at times I thank God for clothes... Very Happy Toofy Grin
snow report
there has always been a law for Winter tyres O bis O (Oktober to Ostern/Easter)

Since 2010 it has become Federal Law in Germany to have Winter Tyres in icy conditions.

However it is a bit vague so its best to make sure you have them on during the winter months.

https://www.german-way.com/travel-and-tourism/driving-in-europe/driving/snow-tires-winter-driving/
snow conditions

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy