Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Scott the Ski. 180 or 185 cm? (or Brahma 180cm)

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
Sorely tempted by a pair of Scott the Skis which Glisshop has on sale for £ 240 (2016, 180 cm version).

However I keep reading it skis pretty short , so cannot decide if I need the 180 or the 185 version.

I do mostly piste skiing (but have aspirations to do more off piste) , I can do fast carving turns on mostly any piste so long as not too icy.
And happily make short turns when it gets very steep.
Around 20 weeks skiing experience (mostly done between age 6 and 21, then stopped going for ages until I came back to it with my kids 4 years ago!).

2 trips per year so figure now so I might be better off on my own kit .

75 kilos , 183 cm tall. 42 years old . Pretty fit (I run 20 miles a week).

Will the 5 cm really make much of a difference ? It would mean buying the 2017 version which is another £ 150...

Or should I stump up and get some Brahmas !!??
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
FWIW. Here is my opinion.

- You will be fine on a 180, unless spending most of your time in the deep stuff
- I wouldn't spend the extra for the 2017 model
- You may find the Brahma is less playful, more damp, better on piste at speed, quicker edge to edge, but less float off piste....so a decision on which ski depends on your priorities/preferences.
- The Scott should be easier to ski on, but the Brahma has been made lighter and a bit easier for this year....you should not need longer than 180 in the Brahma.

Usual caveat: It is always best to try for yourself, but I understand if you want to take a punt on a deal

Last edited by Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person on Sat 28-01-17 18:22; edited 1 time in total
latest report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
185 The Ski
180 Brahma
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
Just finished my first week on my new Scotts (The Ski). I am 181cms and around 100kg (eek!) But reasonable fitness and decent experience (35+ weeks). Was in Les Arcs and the conditions were decent onpiste but without any fresh snowfall for two weeks, the off piste was cruddy and windblown.

I bought 185cm and was nervous about the length.

Essentially, the are a GS ski so long arcing turns are great. The handful of forays into the crud justified the longer ski and I was grateful for it. Equally gripping on the ice!

Short turns on piste are a bit harder work and that is my natural "style", but had no soreness in the knees. They worked well on the piste and the early rise helps in the moguls. The length did not help in the trees but that may also be used error!!!

All in all, happy. They do ski slightly shorter probably by 5cms or so. They are playful enough but not overly and they smash crud.

Had some interesting chats about the Brahmas and they are developing a cult following in the Alps. In the end I took a decision on waist due to my own waist and the hope of extra float when the powder ever comes. Next trip is to St Anton in March....
snow conditions
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
@sheffskibod, Get the Brahmas, despite you being a shade light in weight you'd regret getting anything else. The Brahmas have a great feel despite some criticism that they feel "dead"..... wrong... they are very well damped and do not chatter any where near the likes of the The Ski. I demo'd both end of last season and thought the Scott's were not in the same league. At 88mm underfoot the Brahmas do not feel wide, they seem quick-ish edge to edge, plenty wide for a piste/off-piste ski. If you are looking for a more piste orientated ski try to get hold of the Latigo, a slimmer version of the Brahma. Can't praise the Blizzard skis enough.
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
HTL wrote:

Had some interesting chats about the Brahmas.....

Please feel free to share any gossip. Madeye-Smiley
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
@Old Fartbag, Nothing too fruity. The guys in the shops were generally very compliementary about the Blizzards. Doesn't happen very often for French salesmen to extoll the virtues of a non-French ski!
snow conditions
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Latigo discontinued next year so you if you want a more piste orientated ski you'll need to snap up a pair quickly. However the Scott Black Majic is equivalent to the Latigo's & that's unchanged next year.
snow conditions
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
174 cm here, 85kg, and have just done a week on The Ski 180. Both on and off piste. Nice ski, coped with mixed conditions off piste, and stable on piste until you got to very quick speeds ( 50 mph plus) when it was a little chattery. Enjoyed them a lot. Glad I got them.
latest report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
endoman wrote:
174 cm here, 85kg, and have just done a week on The Ski 180. Both on and off piste. Nice ski, coped with mixed conditions off piste, and stable on piste until you got to very quick speeds ( 50 mph plus) when it was a little chattery. Enjoyed them a lot. Glad I got them.

When in Tignes this year, I was on a chairlift with a pleasant American, who was using The Ski in a 180 and said something similar. He was about my height (5'10"), but heavier (maybe 11.5 stone)

I asked if he had tried many other models and he said that he had tried many, including the Brahma. When I then asked him why he didn't go with the Brahma, he said his main focus was to improve his off piste, while using an All Mountain ski, so went with the extra surface area.

....and yes, I know I'm a nosy git.

Last edited by Ski the Net with snowHeads on Tue 31-01-17 17:09; edited 4 times in total
snow conditions
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Appreciate all the input , have decided to hold off and see if I can try out a few different skis over the week (half term in Val D'Isere).

We are in the posh Savoie Chalet Hotel so am hoping the in house ski hire will be amenable to my fussiness. Madeye-Smiley

Then, if I can make a decision , I will see what the prices come down to as the season winds up .

Does anyone have a list of all the reputable online shops ? I have mostly been browsing https://www.glisshop.co.uk/ and https://www.absolute-snow.co.uk/
snow conditions
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Well worth trying this: www.thepisteoffice.com
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Didn't see any Scott's in my couple of wanders through Val village last week. Very few on the slopes as well, so I'd check if the rental shops stock them. I bought from Glisshop, too good a deal to turn down, think they took about 4 days to arrive. All set up fine for my BSL,
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
endoman wrote:
I bought from Glisshop, too good a deal to turn down, think they took about 4 days to arrive. All set up fine for my BSL,

Ditto.

The only shop that I know of that might have them, are Snowberry over in Val....so not much use.

EDIT. I think Snowberry has now dropped them, as no sign of them on website.
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy