Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

GS Skis - 2018 regs

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
Jnr has only had SL skis up to now, but is going on a training camp at half term and will need some GS skis. He's unlikely to race GS this year as he has exams, but is likely to race a bit next year. Next season he'll move up to U18s (he's also a big lad, 6' 3, about 90kg, mondo 32 boots).

We've been recommend he gets 188cm skis with 30m radius to comply with next year's regs. But I've read this (US based website) which talks about a 193cm minimum length for all male competitors https://www.skiracing.com/premium/back-to-the-future-with-another-gs-radius-change.

Any advice/recommendations gratefully received as we're not up to scratch on the technicalities of racing!
latest report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
@hammerite, In the second paragraph of the article in your link it states that there is a -5cm tolerance for most races, the official document is here.

The one thing that I don't know yet is if there will be different versions of 188cm skis, the current ones are for good girls including World Cup, there might be a version designed for smaller 16yo boys though this probably doesn't matter for your big lump.

I think the rule change is a good one as most races are mixed with the girls going first, having everyone on the same radius skis means that you just get one set of ruts.
latest report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
The FIS lengths and radii for next season 2018 are for men 193cm (with a tolerance of -5cm) 30m. Although 193cm may be a suitable length for your son they are not available yet this year but will come onto the market towards the summer. For this year the 188cm 30m that are available are FIS rule Women. So if you want a 30m ski to use now and next year it has to be the 188cm or you could get a 190 or 195 35m. Both of these are not ideally suited to an under 16 GS training course which could be set for a minimum 17m radius ski.
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
Thanks both. I guess I need to find out what the training courses are going to be set for on his camp.
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
I wouldn't jump and buy current women skis just yet. There's few extra rules not just length and radius. Current rule is also that women skis have to be 103mm or less width on tip, while current men needs to be 98mm or less on tip. Of course this part will change with different radius, but might be different then it is for current women ski. Also you are reading -5cm tolerance wrong. It doesn't mean ski can be 188cm, but it means for certain races it can be 193cm -5cm. For all WC and EC level races there's no tolerance and min length is 195cm today and 193cm from next season on, while for lower level races there is 5cm tolerance. Now it depends where he will be skiing, but it's something to consider.
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
Sorry for first part... I missed this part in document, where it says rule for 2017/2018 is "Max width at the tip: 103 mm". So for low level FIS racing current women skis would do, but they need to be current WC/EC stock skis not lower level skis, while also today you have -5cm tolerance for lower level racing, which means you have also 183cm women skis.
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy