Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Well done u!

Poster: A snowHead
This is starting to look reasuringly familiar. Will you and Alan be able to merge your two sites?

So when people say they work in IT, this what they mean. Excellent job.
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
I don't work in IT Dave but I am committed to skiing and what we had in the old forum.

As far as I am concerned this is my contribution to keeping all the contributors on board - there are lots of other sites out there in the big bad web! Once a permanent home for a forum is established I'm hoping that we can all migrate there and carry on - as a new bionically enhanced version of the old Cool
snow conditions
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
I registered www.snowHeads.com today and I'm so up for trying to make this a seriously good place to come/be.

The buzz of life around the old forum was incredible and i can only imagine that the S-club executive has no other experience of any kind of [web] community as I have yet to find one as active yet harmonious.

The small amounts of friction that occured, always dissipated swiftly and rarely with any required intervention from the admin. Frankly they were spoilt by their users and didn't even know it! rolling eyes

If half as many people of the same quality passed through here i'd be chuffed to bits.
latest report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
The problem we will have is publicising this site. All existing SCGB members who use the SCGB chat will find links, but we have to get back on board those many non members who used to use the SCGB chat site. MO Day (Members Only Day) happened without warning so there was no chance for us to tell non members where to meet up. As soon as snowheads.com is actually up & running, all of us with websites need to put links to snowheads on our own sites so Google can find it and give it a good rating.
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
I believe there are methods for knobbling Google such that a such for "Ski Club Discussion" could lead users here. As it stands I am the mightiest Ian Hopkinson on the web, so I'll link off my site wink

I'm hoping that we can get SCGB to back off from their original position, at the very least I'm thinking of begging Laura to send my contact details to a few of the non-members. Option (2) would be resumption of normal service for a limited time (say a month) and Option (3) would be a full resumption of normal service.

I too think the old forum was immensely civilised and very heavily used. Normally I can understand both sides of an argument, even if I don't agree with them, but in this case SCGB are completely incomprehensible to me.
snow conditions
 You'll need to Register first of course.
I have emailed everyone who had registered at my photogallery site so we may catch a few more.

Since you're so techie Ian, can you figure out why I can't get the autologin feature to work? It seems to be to do with cookie paths but the other bits (new post icons) do work.
latest report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Errrr...beats me Alan, I'm on Windows XP with IE6, privacy settings medium and autologin works for me...

(BTW I'm the mightiest Ian Hopkinson on the web through no technical ability on my part!)
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Ah grasshopper - I thought it was my config settings on phpbb that was the problem. I'll try changing IE settings and see...
snow conditions
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Nope - I even overrode my cookie settings and that didn't work. I assume that you are "logging off" before you close IE?
snow conditions
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Pete H wrote:
The problem we will have is publicising this site. All existing SCGB members who use the SCGB chat will find links, but we have to get back on board those many non members who used to use the SCGB chat site. MO Day (Members Only Day) happened without warning so there was no chance for us to tell non members where to meet up..

It's my guess that MO day happened without warning for that very reason...they want us to all join, not meet somewhere else.

Regarding non-members, my only thought was to try and remember names and track them down via the internet. I know two of the guys (don't want to publish names) work for BT - I'm sure they may be traceable. It's usual that anyone who works in education can be tracked. All we have to do is remember names/details

(or maybe find a mole Laughing )
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Elizabeth B, Lorraine Agass worked in Education if I remember correctly
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
I seem to remember that - somewhere "up north" I think?
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Email sent to Lorraine. Any other names (non-members) that people can remember, let me know - I'm onto friends reunited!! (probably wait till I'm on broadband on Mon to do the rest)
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Alan - do you mean the getting the autologin to work as admin on Ski Cardiff or autologin for this site. Autologin works for me here but not in Cardiff, I notice that Ski Cardiff flashes up a message saying if your browser doesn't support redirect then click here but this site doesn't.

Lorraine is a school teacher and lives north of Newcastle - does not appear to be on line - her son (Tom) is doing a season in Meribel. I'm wondering whether to put up a note on www.natives.co.uk.

I think John Lynn's Northern Ireland Ski Resort post might give me a good enough lead to send him a postcard.

Regis Walters (American weather forecaster) put his pictures up online at Yahoo at
http://f2.pg.photos.yahoo.com/ph/zermattskibum2004/album?.dir=/3440, if you have Yahoo Messenger you can contact him (I don't).

Martyn Copcutt, I think, works at BAe Filton (nr Bristol).
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Alan - I think maybe I understand - I can use autologin on both sites now. If you log out before closing IE then you do not autologin, if you remain logged in when you shut down IE then autologin "works". So really it isn't "autologin", it is "remember status from last visit" Confused
latest report
Thanks Ian - reading the phpbb site support leads me to suspect that this aspect does cause some confusion. I haven't had time to check all the support and mods but there might be a fix.
snow conditions
eeeeeup chaps!
got here too, feels like I'm back with old friends again! Thanks Elizabeth. Laughing
snow conditions
Welcome Lorraine! Happy
ski holidays
Hi Lorraine, glad we found U.
It's become a bit of mission trawling the net, trying to track down our exiled friends.

Check out http://krass.com/phpbb/viewforum.php?f=13 and see if there's anyone mentioned who you know how to find.
ski holidays
surely we'd all prefer it if we can get the ski club to change their mind? I don't rate the chances of creating something new that'll ever be as good. From the state of the ski club forum now I reckon they'll have to reverse their decision - I just hope everyone will still be happy to come back and continue contributing.
snow report
But how do U rate the chances of getting the HighCouncil to U-turn? I'm aware that a couple of its members have, at last, deigned to visit the forum. But, they do seem to have rather shown themselves up as being completely unaware of what had developed there and hence what they had collectively chosen to destroy.

Or maybe everyone will stay here and SCGB could pay US a subsidy proportionate to the number of their members using snowHeads Evil or Very Mad - we could use the dough to rent their clubhouse at Christmas and show them how to party (G+T anyone?)
... or maybe we'll just buy our own clubhouse - in Bradford!!! Wink
snow report
Thanx for the new site, I didn't post much on the old one but, checked in most evenings, I still think it's appalling the way people have been treated, I only joined due to the useful information IU found on the other forum
latest report
Hello chaps - nice to see you all again! What excitement, eh... Slowplough had my email address as we'd met up in Val. I suspect that word will spread to other ex-users by the same kind of osmosis...
ski holidays
Hi Beck - just had a look at the SC site. No posts at all today in any thread other than "Skiing" and most of those are about you know what.

Hi nicky - in this forum you can delete double posts Laughing
snow report
Hi All - Alan - thanks for the email telling me about this site.
Am just back from my week skiing and couldn't wait to tell you all about it!
Will pop a review on the resorts section as soon as possible!
Have emails for 2 other users - will forward this site onto them now!
snow report
Hi all, things are still raging on and it's still very one sided. The members who've taken up the cause are pushing the points at every opportunity. If the SCGB reverses it's decision, is it likely that you'll "come back"? Perhaps you could indicate by e-mailing me at mark_hunter@gmgroup.uk.com I'll publish the results on the forum site, so that all can see them.

As mentioned before, if anyone would like a Word doc sent to them so they can follow what's going on, again, drop me a line.
snow report
Just found a load more people Very Happy Very Happy
snow conditions
Top respect U Brain. A quality site. Laughing SCGB RIP. Twisted Evil
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Hi all thanks to Alex Presland I'm back in contact with sane people (well people that like mountains and snow).
Lets hope the membership continues to grow.
latest report
Hear hear.. Great site.. a job well done.

My opinion regarding a return to a free SCGB forum... is no. They pretty much showed what they thought of us...
snow report
U, thanks for all your hard work over the past few days. This site is fantastic.
It's great to see the old names popping up. Very Happy
snow report
Just thought I'd check the cardiff site and see if anything was happening. Expected a few moans, but nothing as fantastic as this! Is this a u brain/craggs effort? Outstanding. Now where were we. BTW I emailed Laura expressing thanks and sadness, and putting arguments for the forum's reinstatement, but frankly, now I don't care. Who's planning the future of snowheads - love to know where it's going?
latest report
Hi everyone,

and thanks to Elizabeth B for kindly pointing me out to this forum. Great to see familiar names and potential skiing buddies.

I was away skiing when the SCGB cut-off happened so I had to endure double withdrawal symptoms once back. Anyway, a trip report to the Epicski Academy and Gathering in Snowbird / Jackson Hole respectively will follow soon.

I had a look at the discussions here and it seems that this is the main meeting place for ex-SCGB forum users. Alan - is that right? I may still (at last) register on your site to post some pics.

Great work u-brain. Many thanks.

(btw, I was Cedric Popa on the SCGB website)
snow report
Hi Cedric, glad you've found us. Not for me to say if it's the main meeting place or not (modesty forbids etc) but there is a certain noticeable lack of postings on the Club site.... Mr. Green

Photos always welcome at the gallery (I still haven't posted mine...)
snow report
Hi Cedric!
ski holidays
So this is were everybody's hanging out. Cool.
I'm another SCGB member who will most likly be cancelling his membership.
I was only ever a part time poster on the SC forums, but I feel like I know most people here. Hopefully this site will grow and we wont need to go back to the old forum.
It was a mess anyway. This design of site is much, much better.
Big congrats to whoever set this up.
ski holidays
Embarassed Actually, I just realised I hadn't expressed my gratitude for providing shelter for another exiled SCGB non-member. Muchas gracias U-brain!!

Eeyore (also Toni Adams)
latest report
Thanks U-brain. Another disaffected SCGB member, though only an occasional poster.
snow report
I echo everyone else's remarks! A much easier site to use, and to have it up and running so quickly, with so many familiar names is fantastic! Well done to all involed Very Happy
Did someone mention SCGB...
WHO Question
ski holidays
It's taken a while, but I've finally managed to find you! Great reaction to the SCGB decision, so glad that someone had the I.T. know how and the dedication to get this ( frankly, superior!) site up and running so quickly. I found you through j2ski and then skiboard, am sure others will do likewise and that you'll have no problem with publicity as we'll all be singing your praises at every available opportunity. If there was a good time for SCGB to take the action they have (there wasn't)and a new forum site to set up in its place this is probably as good as any when we're all pursuing our obsession with a vigour that may not have been so driven, in say, September. Shame about all the archived knowledge though, but hey it'll come and I've no doubt that all you ever patient 'oracles skiing wisdom' will continue to repeatedly answer the same questions from the rest of us as you did 'on the dark side'

Well done and lots of luck.

Last edited by Ski the Net with snowHeads on Thu 12-02-04 15:58; edited 1 time in total
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy