Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Ski's - Buy or Hire?

Poster: A snowHead
I recently put a thread on here about best mens piste ski's to buy for an upper intermediate. Last went skiing six years ago & have K2 beginner/intermediate ski's. So got me thinking that I would really like a new pair of ski's. My wifey also said she would like her first pair of ski's. But i have noticed some of you (far more experienced skiers than me) prefer to rent ski's. Ski rental is not just for beginners. I'am just wondering whether its really worth considering hiring rather than buying. I have definitely got my monies worth out of the K2's; but my next ski are likely to cost anything up to £525 (for Magnum's or Volkl code UVO). Also tech moves on every 3-4 years or so. Am I missing a trick by not considering hiring rather than buying? With hiring I could change my ski's as often as I would like & get to try a few ski's if i want. As a week per year skier maybe renting is a better option? There is a small cost implication - buying two sets of ski's for myself & wifey would set me back £850-900. I am happy to spend this but it has got me thinking though.
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
To me it depends on how much you're going to ski and what your transport arrangements are.

If you're like many people and are going to fly out for a week's skiing per year, then you're going to end up spending nearly as much on ski carriage as you would have spent on ski hire, and your skis will get older every season even though they won't be worn out. You may also find that you want a different ski as your skiing changes, maybe something for off piste, or for tricks. A hire shop can offer that, but if you own your skis they don't change.

If you're a ski guide / instructor who is going to spend all season on the slopes, then absolutely it makes sense to have your own skis.
latest report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Reasons for hiring.

- Generally the cost of ski carriage plus servicing (if you can't do it yourself) is as much (or more) than that of hiring.
- You can get the skis suitable for the conditions
- You can usually chop and change through the week
- Allows you to ski on the latest technology
- Avoids need to lug your skis about, while travelling.

Reasons for buying.

- You can go for exactly what you want.
- You can have the tuning as you like it.
- You know exactly how they will ski
- Avoids the need to queue up and haggle with a ski shop, in order to get exactly what you want.

Generally, it probably makes more sense to hire if you are only skiing 1 or 2 weeks a year and paying the associated costs.....but saying all that, it is nice to have your own skis. I swore I was not buying any more skis (owned my own since forever), but when I saw some Scott The Ski with over 60% off, I bought them. Doh!
latest report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
Economically, a one week a year skier should obviously hire. Only argument to buy is you can hit the slopes without having to faff around at the rental shop (on the downside you have to pack and transport them, service them etc).
snow conditions
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Emotionally, it is nice to own things. That probably for most people who buy skis is the biggest reason but then they they justify the purchase with logic.

My logic for buying is that I usually drive to the resort and can transport the skis easily, along with knowing that all my equipment works for me. The downside is that I have had to buy at least 3 pairs of skis as my skiing has improved and technology has moved along. Although, in reality I enjoy the buying process.

It also works that I have my own apartment and can store some of our skis there.

I have to say, if I got the train or plane I wouldn't drag skis with me.
snow conditions
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
Try not to do what i used to, lug 2 pairs on a trip and then rent locally when you see something cool Toofy Grin
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Great replies. Keep them coming. i agree with all the comments. Tough decision Smile
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
It also sounds like ski hire shops have moved on a pace since i last went skiing. I'am guessing they will have pretty much up to date ski's; maybe not this seasons? Not that maters too much.
snow conditions
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Andrew911 wrote:
It also sounds like ski hire shops have moved on a pace since i last went skiing. I'am guessing they will have pretty much up to date ski's; maybe not this seasons? Not that maters too much.

It may still depend on the Hire shop and which category you go for.

In January, my daughter got almost new, this year's skis (Nordica Sentra 56 Evo) and I was initially given this year's Blizzard Quattro Ca, which I swapped for last year's Magnums. This was from Skiset's Excellence category, in Tignes.
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
Old Fartbag wrote:
Andrew911 wrote:

It may still depend on the Hire shop and which category you go for.

In January, my daughter got almost new, this year's skis (Nordica Sentra 56 Evo) and I was initially given this year's Blizzard Quattro Ca, which I swapped for last year's Magnums. This was from Skiset's Excellence category, in Tignes.

Excellent! Funny just looking at their web site as also going to Tignes. They also have Kastle's which I am amazed as they are such a high end ski. i think its really swinging it for me to hire as i can really try a few ski's.
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Andrew911 wrote:

Excellent! Funny just looking at their web site as also going to Tignes. They also have Kastle's which I am amazed as they are such a high end ski. i think its really swinging it for me to hire as i can really try a few ski's.

I used the "Deep Snow" shop beside The Diva Hotel in VC...but it is worth bearing in mind, that what you see on their Website is not necessarily available in your particular shop. They may give you an equivalent model.....which is often down to the whim of the shop owner.

Overall, I was happy with the service, advice and quality of equipment...though the edges on my Magnums could have been sharper. The snow was mostly good, so I didn't make an issue of it (and also because they changed my original skis without fuss).
snow conditions
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Don't ski until you can spell "skis" 😬
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Have you thought about contacting the shop you may hire SKIS from?

I know it's a bit different for us as we go back to the same resort and shop each year, but I don't bother going on line to book anymore, I just email them directly and ask for the SKIS I want to be put aside for when I get there. Even when I did book online, I would still email them to ask for the ones I wanted

Contact them, ask for the Kastle's and if they have them, ask them to put aside for you.It's worth a try, the worst that can happen is they say no
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
You don't say if you are skiing in Europe or North America. The snow last season was so sh1te I ended up hiring skis so as not to ding mine. Not dissimilar this season in Cham - very poor snow base so plenty little stones around to mess up my freshly ground and waxed bases Sad
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
I have made a decision that we shall hire our SKIS now. Seems on balance to be the best route & I get to try a couple of pairs of SKIS Very Happy

The next phase was choosing a decent hire shop. Think it is likely we'll go with skiset's Deep Snow shop in Tignes VC.
snow report
Quote:

Think it is likely we'll go with skiset's Deep Snow shop in Tignes VC.

Well, after admins reply to my post on another thread, I have emailed them directly for a quote but not yet received a reply. Maybe I am being too impatient !
ski holidays
bernie wrote:
Quote:

Think it is likely we'll go with skiset's Deep Snow shop in Tignes VC.

Well, after admins reply to my post on another thread, I have emailed them directly for a quote but not yet received a reply. Maybe I am being too impatient !

I also emailed a general enquiry a couple of days ago & didn't receive a reply. I know this is a busy time. Their site says they guarantee certain models - such as the Magnums. I was thinking of booking these online & send them an email as a back up. I'am going quite late in the season so i doubt i will have any problems getting the skis I want.
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy