Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Weather in Aviemore at the end of May?

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
Typically, what is the weather like in Aviemore at the end of May? Any Scottish ski fans able to say whether I should pack for howling gales or shorts 'n tees?
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
rob@rar,
Seriously, both, weather in May is often great sunny and bright but wind and rain is not exactly unknown at any time of year.
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
The temperature will be between minus 3 and plus 25, and it will either rain, snow, or not. It will probably be windy, but might not be.

If anyone can give a more accurate forecast than that they are lying. (However, late May is sometimes quite good in Scotland!)
latest report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
pack for both Rob, it can change almost instantly...

However it can be great, this is 13th May 1994

snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
The best conditions will be found on the upper slopes
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
If you're wondering about skiiing weather I'm not sure the lifts will still be open in very late May.

The season before last they operated fo the first couple of weeks of May and then closed as the pistes melted. Most years they close in late April/early May.

However, given the amount of snow, the build up of the base and the depth thats there there's a chance they may stay open if the punters are around but I'd only expect skiing in the ski area to be at the top. If the ski tows have stopped turning then you won't be aboe to use the funicular for access to any snow, they bring in the closed system which means you can wander around the Ptarmigan Restaurant and the exhibition and shop at the top after a funicular ride up but there's no access to the mountain itself. If willing to climb and/or skin, on the basis of the amount of snow there now you'll probably find a lot of snow left over the back for off-piste. Even last year, when like the Alps snow fall was poor, people were as I recall finding quite large snow patches to ski on well into August.

As for general weather, as others have said, it could be anything from cold to very hot! Toofy Grin
snow conditions
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
I'm thinking about doing a course in the final week of May, but unfortunately not an on-snow course. Thank for the weather advice - wonder if I can tempt my girlfriend with a sightseeing trip to that part of the world while I'm doing tedious stuff in a classroom during the day...
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy