Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Best Mens Piste Ski for Upper Intermediate?

Poster: A snowHead
Going skiing in April in Tignes; after six years of non skiing. I mainly ski on piste but also happy going off the sides a bit but not really any serious off-piste stuff. I can comfortably ski challenging reds & have only done a couple of blacks. i would say I'am an upper intermediate. My current ski's are K2 Comanche 4com - which was billed as a beginner/intermediate 50:50 on/off piste ski. They are a good ski but think I have a bit more experience under my belt now & fancy a new pair.

I went to the MK snozone & tried a couple of all-mountain ski's. The Salomen X drive 8 TI & Fischer pro mtn 80. But I feel I would prefer a more piste biased ski as thats where I do 95% of my skiing. So I plan to go back to the snozone & try some more ski's. I'am keen to try the Volkl Code UVO. I'am also wondering about the Head Supershape Magnum or whether these skis are really meant for advanced skiers. Be interested to hear what your thoughts are & any other skis you would recommend?
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
I think the Head Magnums would definitely be worth trying. They were the first that came to mind when I read your description.
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
I hired the Magnums when staying in Tignes VC last week....and absolutely loved them. I felt the edges weren't as sharp as I would have liked, but that wasn't the fault of the skis....this was last year's model, which has been modified for 2017, with the addition of Graphene.

They were stable, fun, comfortable in both short and longer turns, while not being hard to use. Very well judged ski imo.

I think these skis will grow with your ability.

FWIW I'm 179 cm tall, weigh 64kg, reasonably technical skier....and skied on the 170s.

Last edited by Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see? on Thu 26-01-17 16:42; edited 1 time in total
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
Head Titans will give you a similar piste experience to the Magnums, but are a bit wider for the occasional foray in to side of piste snow.
latest report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Blizzard Latigo - nuf said
((
))
((
))
latest report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
I liked the Heads, not used the Volkls but liked the previous version.

I tried some Stockli lasers and loved them, but cost was an issue.
snow conditions
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Thanks so far for all your comments; all much appreciated.
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Old Fartbag wrote:
I hired the Magnums when staying in Tignes VC last week....and absolutely loved them. I felt the edges weren't as sharp as I would have liked, but that wasn't the fault of the skis....this was last year's model, which has been modified for 2017, with the addition of Graphene.

They were stable, fun, comfortable in both short and longer turns, while not being hard to use. Very well judged ski imo.

I think these skis will grow with your ability.

FWIW I'm 179 cm tall, weigh 64kg, reasonably technical skier....and skied on the 170s.

You didn't find the Magnum's too stiff? Sounds like they are easy to ski. Looking forward to trying them. i notice a lot of instructors use them; but I'am only a good intermediate though.
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
My instructor uses them, she said that they were great for her to ski on but probably a little stiff to teach with. She is only tiny though.
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
I had a paid of black crows ova's and they were excellent in any piste condition but also good on side piste.
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Quote:

I tried some Stockli lasers and loved them, but cost was an issue.

Stocklis are an investment! Very Happy
snow conditions
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
@jedster, they were great, had to work them but wow!!

Cost just more than I was good with, and they might have been better than I deserve.
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
I used Dynastar Speedzone 12 ti's for 3 days last April. Loved them. Handled all April conditions ice bumps slush really well - even a cheeky bit of off piste as we had 6 inches overnight. Worked for me anyway- didn't want to give them back.
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Andrew911 wrote:

You didn't find the Magnum's too stiff? Sounds like they are easy to ski. Looking forward to trying them. i notice a lot of instructors use them; but I'am only a good intermediate though.

I found them stable without being too stiff. The more you worked them, the more they gave back. IMO They had the right balance between stability and liveliness.

Before them, I tried some Blizzard Quattro Ca, which I found solid and damp, if a little unexciting. I thought they were ideally a little too wide for a dedicated Piste Ski, with the wrong profile (twin Rocker) and too narrow for an All Mountain ski.

It's hard to "call" a ski for someone else, but I think you should try the Magnums....and you are unlikely to outgrow them as you improve.

In the past I have enjoyed stable skis, like Atomic 11.20s and lively slalom skis, like Atomic SL11s.....the Magnums are almost like an amalgamation of the two. I'd buy them like a shot, if in the market for a Piste Ski.

Interestingly, the Dynastar Speed Zone 12 Ti would also be on my radar....as suggested above by Rugby Peter.....but haven't tried them.
latest report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Thanks for the info on the Magnums OF. I'll definitely give them a try.
snow report
I absolutely love my Magnums. Can't wait to get back on them on Sunday snowHead
latest report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy