Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Soll - what's the deal?

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
Planning on my first ski trip this march (18th - 25th) and Soll seems to be a cheap option for myself and the missus who are both newbies.

Going to go for either a 'pension' (Haus Niederacher) or a B & B called the Hotel Eggerwirt. Has anyonbe stayed at either of these and if so, what are they like? They look alright on the Airtours website although I've been told Austrian B & Bs are a bit basic.

Is Soll a good place to go for a beginner. It seems cheap enough for the pair of us at that time (just under £800 for the both of us - flight, accomodation for a week, plus full 6-day tutition and ski/boot hire).

What's the social side like and is it fairly good value for meals and drinks?

Also, are there any good sightseeing opportunitites away from the slopes? The missus ain't that good at full-on stamina tasks so may need a day off the skis.

Pat
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
animal, Soll is only a very small village and from what I saw there isn't very much to do apart from skiing during the day. (Lets just say when I started skiing late one day the village was DEAD!)

Also, Soll is a very low resort so snow can be unreliable at that time in the season.

Don't let that put you off though, its a lovely place and an ideal spot for beginners, you just got to hope the snow keeps well!
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Quote:

What's the social side like and is it fairly good value for meals and drinks?

Night life is wicked. I went 4 seasons ago with a big group and we are going back next season as it has the best nightlife that we have experienced so far. Nearly all the bars have/had live music in them with the bands rotating around the bars each night. The slopes are ideal for beginners. Yes it is a little low and snow can sometimes be a little on the scarse side..... but absolutly love Soll, it is by far my favourite resort so far. Granted I have only been to 5 resorts but thats my 2 pennies worth!!!!!!!!!
snow conditions
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
I'm just back from soll. it'll be fine provided you get the snow still.

there is a nice open air pool for a non skiing day but not much else apart from eating/drinking, maybe toboganing.
latest report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
animal, Soll is very good value for money, the Gasthof Tenne does a 3 course set menu for about 9 euros. drinks in town are very reasonable at about £2 a pint, as always wine in restaurants is on the steep side. On the mountain you can get spag bol for 6 euros and in the Grundlalm you can get some great rolls for 1.40 euros. You should be able to get there on day 3 or 4 of your holiday as it's at mid station. Another good value restaurant is the Sollstubi (not sure on the spelling!) also known as Harry's (ask your ski instructor). As for snow, Soll has had more this year than most people can remember, so it should still be good then unless there is a massive thaw, but that's the same chance you take where ever you go. Off the slopes, activities are limited. There is a swimming pool and a few shops. Kufstein is a taxi ride away with lots more shops and an interesting castle.
latest report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
We stayed at the Hotel Eggerwirt last year, it was very nice. Good rooms, reasonable grub. Our only minor downside is that they don't have a propper bar inside (there is one in the resturant) and only a very small lounge (with an open fire though) but seeing as though there's no shortage of bars and nightlife (whiskey muhler - spelt wrong no doubt) it wasn't really a problem. Also this hotel is pretty much the last stop for the ski bus so you're best off getting the early bus else you'll end up playing sardines Happy if you can get on at all Happy

The taboggan run is an absolute blast! took the afternoon off skiing and had a go, never laughed so much in my life Happy I love soll, and would happily go back. And they've had pretty good snow this year by all accounts.
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
dangly bits to the sightseeing thing then - the missus will just have to suffer the indignace of me falling on me back bottom every 10 minutes! I'm sure she'll be necking steins of beer at the bars anyway!!

I was half expecting the hotels to be kind of basic anyway so I don't mind having to eat and drink out. Anyways, it means you get to meet folk and have a good time with like-minded peeps.

I was originally looking at Andorra on the recommendation of my Boss who goes there every year. It's just a bit pricey (I'm a very, very tight Yorkshireman!!) and for a 'tester' holiday £800 is just right, especially as i don't know If the consumption of alcohol on an industrial scale since leaving uni has rendered me incapabable of standing upright on two pieces of wood!

I'm sure I'l invent a new sport - back bottom sliding from 2,000 metres above sea level. At least i'll have the claim to fame of leaving the biggest skidders in the world as I hurtle towards Soll on my bootocks!!!

Bring on the brown trails of death.... Laughing snowHead
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
animal, sounds like a good deal and as most people have mentioned, you can't really go wrong with Soll unless there is a massive thaw which is unlikely! If the snow on the nursery slopes is a bit patchy then they'll take you up to mid station and teach you there. You can get the gondola up to mid station where there are a few restaurants (short walk on the snow), one of which has a fantastic terrace that gets loads of sun if you're lucky. It is also on a short run which you will progress to after a couple of days of lessons so one of you can prop up the bar while the other skis! I'll find the name for you. Also on the mountain, just down from mid station (turn right and ski down towards two chair lifts) is a restaurant which serves fantastic chicken (cooked on a spit) and chips for about £3.50.

Nightlife is probably the best I've come accross in Austria if you can handle early apres ski (as in straight off the slopes) combined with the late apres ski at the Whiskey Muhle, Postwirt etc. It just doesn't stop in Soll! There is also a good mix of live bands at the Postwirt, Bar 15 etc and the usual Euro-cheese at the Whiskey Muhle etc. The Hotel Feldwebel (main square) does a good fondue.

You can take day trips to Salzburg, some tour operators offer this trip.
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Hey guys.

Im heading to Soll this Saturday. Ive never been a weeks skiing in mylife before so really dont know what to expect. It will be just myself and my girlfriend that will be going and we are in our early 20's. We have ski lessons booked which was a package deal with the ski hire and liftpass included.

Does anyone have good a checklist for things we might need to take which we might forget about and any ideas of what to expect when we get there?
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
Just adding my voice to the caution regarding low Skiwelt resorts in late March. If I were you I'd hang on. I can't believe they'll fill up at that time of year, so hold on to your money until a week to go, then you can get the best discounts or go elsewhere if the snow in Soll is poor (which it could well be at village level at least, I fear...)
latest report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
dj_colinbell, thermals would be my first suggestion as its reported to be -18C at the moment! 'Layers' of clothes is the best idea. Also inner (as well as outer) gloves -although you'll be able to buy those there - and 'handwarmers'. Goggles and sunglasses a must.

A couple of passport photos might be a good idea in case their ski pass needs them (other snowheads can confirm??)

We always take a travel kettle and tea (sad Brits!) as very seldom any tea making in the rooms (plus adaptor of course!)

We're heading to Ellmau - just down the road - on the 11th March, so have a good time and leave some snow for us!Very Happy'
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Skiwelt passes are the electronic reader types without photos (well they were when I went!). however, one thing you'll notice at the Ellmau funicular is that they video/still capture everyone as they use the lift pass - presumably to stop someone lobbing the same pass back through for someone else to use? Dunno...
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
carled, they take pics if you have season pass
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
carled wrote:
Just adding my voice to the caution regarding low Skiwelt resorts in late March. If I were you I'd hang on. I can't believe they'll fill up at that time of year, so hold on to your money until a week to go, then you can get the best discounts or go elsewhere if the snow in Soll is poor (which it could well be at village level at least, I fear...)

Its a bit late for that, its been booked for months now.
latest report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Sorry - was aiming the comment at animal in the first post! You'll be fine and dandy with the snow, dj_colinbell
snow conditions

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy