Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Driving to ski resorts - new French Environmental Zone Vignettes

Poster: A snowHead
Many restrictions in Isere since yesterday. Any cars without a vignette or higher than 3 banned. Not sure how that works in practise given that the main autoroute to the Med passes through and is likely to be busy with cars from all over Europe today.
snow conditions
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
@Claude B, have you seen any actual enforcement going on? Like cars taken off the road or fines issued?
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
@andy1234, I think this is the first time it's been used on such a large scale. Nothing up here in the mountains. It's Grenoble and the area towards Lyon where the problems are.

Lots on the radio, such as (in french)
https://www.francebleu.fr/infos/transports/pollution-les-mesures-de-circulations-differenciees-sont-etendues-en-isere-1561778872

Don't actually see many cars around here with them although you have to pass Grenoble to get most places. The French are good at ignoring things Very Happy My girlfriend hasn't got one and she drives this way frequently. Over 12 million sold though, perhaps mostly to Brits Laughing
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Thanks
snow conditions
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
I've just lost an hour of my life doing it again, didn't bother last year, though had one before that, and I loose count the number of times I go back and forth, though recently been leaving car and flying from Turin and renting car in the UK which is way cheaper than driving to and from etc

Just that I will eventually be going back through Grenoble in August and maybe elsewhere mid-July.

What a load of hassle for 3 bucks rolling eyes
snow conditions
 You'll need to Register first of course.
@Weathercam, have you changed vehicles? They dontcexpire I don't think.
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
@Claude B, NOOOOOOOOHHHH I was told they were for a year and speaking to friends tonight they did not infer they did not expire, oh well, I'll go and examine my one in the morning and let you know Laughing

Just had it confirmed the life of the vehicle Shocked Shocked
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
@Weathercam, Toofy Grin at least its only 3 or 4€
snow conditions
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Claude B wrote:
Many restrictions in Isere since yesterday. Any cars without a vignette or higher than 3 banned. Not sure how that works in practise given that the main autoroute to the Med passes through and is likely to be busy with cars from all over Europe today.

The main autoroute goes through the Rhone department, not the Isere. There are different rules for the Rhone at the moment.
Vignette 4,5 can go on the expressways and autoroutes in the Isere at present
The speed limit is 70kph on the autoroutes after the peages into Grenoble
There are no controls around Grenoble probably because vignette 4,5 are not affected
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Apologies up front on this, very busy at work just now with no time to read up on this, so if someone knows without any investigation required a bit of advice would be great.
We are traveling to Chamonix in July/August on autoroute in a 2016 diesel car, do I need to get one of these?
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
@davidof, Ah ok, it crosses the river a couple of times between the two. It was pretty horrendous when I drove down 10 days ago. Reduced speed limits and queues from Lyon to Orange. And that was on a Friday.
snow conditions
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
@Jonny996, Haut Savoie is a ZPA area

In a zone de protection de l'air (ZPA), which tends to be significantly larger than the ZCR zones, traffic is only restricted by public announcement at times of high air pollution; and all vehicles must display a vignette at those times.

So potentially you will need one to get there. A 2016 diesel is likely to be 2 or 3 but displaying that with a vignette would be necessary.
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Claude B wrote:

So potentially you will need one to get there. A 2016 diesel is likely to be 2 or 3 but displaying that with a vignette would be necessary.

I tend to agree with Claude, although the locals don't seem to bother much with them as he mentioned above. However the police are regularly on the toll boths doing various controls.

I checked the Rhone - (lyon) and Paris and suburbs and only 0,1,2 are allowed to drive during daylight hours. In Lyon transiting vehicles on the autoroutes are allowed though. So no worries if you don't have a vignette so long as you don't leave the autoroutes/expressways.

The whole thing is an utter nonsense. They are based on the EURO norms not on the harmful pollutants are car emits when it is hot. There are cars like the new Twingo or Smart which get a 1 sticker but emit more harmful pollution than a 1980s Soviet diesel truck.
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
ive had a look & its going to be a royal pain, it wants copy of log book ect & I don't have that as car is work lease car. so even though its a euro 6 class car & will be a certificate 2, I need to do a hell of a lot of running about. FOR A 4 EURO certificate.
snow conditions
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
@Jonny996, if you are driving outside of the UK you need to carry the registration document in the car at all times anyway (legal requirement in practically all countries). That is all you need to get the sticker, the application process is pretty painless, the biggest pain is making sure the image of the reg document is less than 400MB.

I agree that lots of French probably dont bother but occasional very difficult French police officers are well known (especially to non French drivers, German registered cars as much as British ones!), its much better to have the right paperwork and avoid the small chance of a lot of grief.
latest report
Not quite. When I had a company car they used to provide me with a letter of authorisation and a VE103 when I took it abroad.
ski holidays
Must get my finger out and buy another one. We had windscreen replaced in January.
latest report
@Hells Bells, sell you mine for €2.50 Laughing
snow conditions
Anything higher than 2 or without barred from the Grenoble area tomorrow. Free public transport. There have been restrictions all this week between Lyon and Grenoble. How it works in practise I dont know I'm afraid.

https://france3-regions.francetvinfo.fr/auvergne-rhone-alpes/isere/grenoble/grenoble-episode-pollution-persiste-restrictions-supplementaires-mises-place-routes-1778765.html
snow report
Geneva zone is also active.
ski holidays
Claude B wrote:
Anything higher than 2 or without barred from the Grenoble area tomorrow. Free public transport. There have been restrictions all this week between Lyon and Grenoble. How it works in practise I dont know I'm afraid.

https://france3-regions.francetvinfo.fr/auvergne-rhone-alpes/isere/grenoble/grenoble-episode-pollution-persiste-restrictions-supplementaires-mises-place-routes-1778765.html

No problem with my 25 year old vehicle today but it is do smoggy you would be hard pressed to see any vignette.
snow report
Any latest on this - the last post was 2 1/2 years ago. Thinking of driving next year , do I need to get this ?

I did a quick google and some crit air site that wanted €50 off me !
snow report
@eblunt, Must be a dodgy site. Mine was a few euros.
latest report
Like many of these things (ULEZ, CC charge, Swiss vignette...) there are lots of scam/skimming sites to be avoided. Only go to the official French Government site:

https://www.certificat-air.gouv.fr/

Cost is 4,51 €

You probably won't need it, but it's so cheap you may as well get it anyway.
snow report
@HilbertSpace, Thank you just what I needed.
snow report
FYI your French Crit'Air Certificate also doubles as a Geneva Stick'AIR certificate as well - if you have the former you don't need the latter to drive through Geneva if an enforcement is in place. From the Geneva Canton website:

«During pollution peaks, traffic in the centre of the canton is temporarily prohibited to the most polluting vehicles. Only motorized vehicles with an authorized Stick'AIR sticker are permitted to travel in this zone between 06:00 and 22:00.»

As mentioned above, you should always carry your original V5C and a Certificate of Insurance with you when driving abroad. The AA has a useful guide on mandatory stuff like this in its Driving in Europe Checklist. I've also written a blog piece about how to prepare for Self-drive to the Swiss Alps. Some of it is Swiss-specific, but most of it is generic stuff collected together from various forums and threads and websites. The blog has lots of links to sites like the AA, Crit'Air, ViaMichelin, Metéo France, motorway tag retailers etc.
snow report
Quote:

FYI your French Crit'Air Certificate also doubles as a Geneva Stick'AIR certificate as well - if you have the former you don't need the latter to drive through Geneva if an enforcement is in place.

Thanks @LaForet, useful to know. I must get a Crit'Air sticker for my new car,
snow report
Jonny996 wrote:
ive had a look & its going to be a royal pain, it wants copy of log book ect & I don't have that as car is work lease car. so even though its a euro 6 class car & will be a certificate 2, I need to do a hell of a lot of running about. FOR A 4 EURO certificate.

Just did it, it only takes 5 minutes if you have your V5C to hand. From your phone take a pic and email it to yourself, and you can use the option to choose a lower resolution (< 2mb ) version of it, that seems the easiest way to reduce the picture size.
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Hells Bells wrote:
Must get my finger out and buy another one. We had windscreen replaced in January.

Normally speaking you should have a receipt which has all the details on, which you could probably use OK
ski holidays
eblunt wrote:
Hells Bells wrote:

Normally speaking you should have a receipt which has all the details on, which you could probably use OK

Well, I had to replace the windscreen on my car, I tried pulling the Crit'air sticker off but it damaged the sticker. I emailed the Crit'air website explaining the situation but they said I'd have to buy a new one.
snow conditions
As per a previous post, I lease my car, and as such don't have the V5 - would a VE103B be sufficient, does anyone know?
ski holidays
I've got a sticker for my car as I work on the basis that it took about 5 mins to get it, cost a few euros and could save me a whole world of messing about if I get stopped or have stopped for say a flat tyre and the police rock up to make sure I'm ok or they are at a toll booth.
I work on the same basis for breathalysers, V5 etc - it takes no time but could save a lot of time plus a fine.

From memory when we had work lease cars, we needed permission from the lease co, who are the owner, to take the car abroad and had their V5 replacement form. I was never stopped and asked for it but again, for 5 mins, it can save a lot of time
snow report
SHAP wrote:
As per a previous post, I lease my car, and as such don't have the V5 - would a VE103B be sufficient, does anyone know?

Yes it is!
ski holidays
@snowornever, Cheers.
ski holidays
HilbertSpace wrote:
Like many of these things (ULEZ, CC charge, Swiss vignette...) there are lots of scam/skimming sites to be avoided. Only go to the official French Government site:

https://www.certificat-air.gouv.fr/

Cost is 4,51 €

You probably won't need it, but it's so cheap you may as well get it anyway.

Blimey just googled it and went to a site, they wanted 49 euros for one, world is full of crooks
latest report
I have a private plate same Crit air has been on last 3 cars...
snow conditions
Hi. There seems to be differing info in this thread.

What page of the V5 document have people uploaded? I’m assuming either the front page ( showing name and address ) or top of page 2 ( showing vehicle details ).

And is there a simple way to compress the picture on an iPhone.

Thanks
snow conditions
@Crashnburn,

Adobe Scan might work for you. Check the app store
snow conditions
@Crashnburn, Page 2, as it shows the engine details/emissions. Can't help you on iPhone.
latest report
If you have the same car, does the critter need to be updated annually?
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy