Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Never thought I'd ask . . .

Poster: A snowHead
. . . this, but . . . This Summer I'll be in the market for some piste skis. Not All Mountain chargers but summat that loves morning corduroy and hero snow with just the odd trip off the side. One caveat, they must be 'flat', ie. no binding /rail system.

I really have no idea what's available or for that matter desirable, It has been suggested that the Kästle's MX84s would do nicely but my wallet had a sphincter seizure when I saw the price Shocked

My stat's: Old git, 110kg but coming down fast, still have strong legs, Skill level? I'll leave it to others to decide if I'm anything beyond "Don't ski in front of the numpty" and I really do need to get my head around and my аrѕе off moguls.

Gentlemen, start your disdain wink
latest report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Masque wrote:
It has been suggested that the Kästle's MX84s would do nicely but my wallet had a sphincter seizure when I saw the price Shocked

See if you can find last year's MX83 in a 183cm. Ex-demo pair maybe? I have them and they are unquestionably the finest ski I've ever been on by a country mile. Astonishingly good. The reviews on Realskiers also score them better than the MX84. I saw that dawgwatchin on Epicski said the MX84 was better but he's a lightweight. The 84 is softer in the tip and has more lengths available so I can understand that. At your weight, I'm sure you'd prefer the MX83.
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
I was under the (correctable) impression that most piste skis are fit with rails and bindings for a good reason. The RnD is completed as a unit so one complements the other. There are hardly any off-the-peg piste skis around here without an inclusive binding option.

(that really wasn't a lot of help, was it!)
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
@Masque,

In your shoes I'd wander around some hire shops at easter and ask them whether they'd sell you a pair of (non-FIS)GS skis from their inventory. Play on those and see what you like and dislike about them. Naturally they'd come with rental bindings on them but the price would allow you to change that if you needed.

My old stockli stormrider XLs are ideal for that kind of stuff - 75mm waist, 18m radius, pretty stiff - but all mountain skis tend to be fatter these days which is fine but not quite as nippy on piste.
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Aww C'mon @Masque - you can't be forsaking snowboarding and going back to the tight pants brigade?
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Almost all the good piste chargers that I can think of have integrated binding systems.

The Scott Black Magic is a possibility, but it is more playful than hard charging...but will be easy to ski and good in bumps and off to the side.

Another possibility is the Blizzard Latigo, which is really a piste ski with an all mountain profile.

If you can accept an integrated binding, then you have a much greater choice....and mine would be the Head Magnum / Titan or Dynastar Speed Zone 12 Ti
latest report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
110 kg - you fat knacker wink How's the leg old bean?
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
@Richard_Sideways, As is well known . . . I'll fall off anything.

@Old Fartbag, Telemark bindings don't fit on rails.

@Frosty the Snowman, Leg's good ya wee tyke Toofy Grin

@Raceplate, Lots of short MX83s on line, I'll keep an eye out as the season progresses
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Masque wrote:

@Old Fartbag
, Telemark bindings don't fit on rails.

Good point!...Then Black Magic and Latigo are my suggestions.
latest report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
I tested the following piste skis at the beginning of the season and the Rossignol's were by far my favourite, so I'd say they are worth a look.

HEAD I GSR
Atomic REDSTER XTI
ELAN SLX
VÖLKL RACETIGER SW
NORDICA DOBERMANN SPITFIRE PRO EVO
ROSSIGNOL SKI pursuit 800 ti
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Kneissl Black Stars?
snow conditions
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
We might all be asking if the season carries on its stellar snowfall record in Yurp
snow conditions
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Völkl Code Speedwall? I've just got the S version but there is also the L which might be slightly more versatile off the sides? I think it has got amazing edge grip and is really fun to ski. It has got a flat Marker binding on it.
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Isn't this about the time when Pam W pops up with a weighty remark?
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
@Masque, TBH, I'd expect any reasonably expensive ~80mm underfoot ski from any manufacturer to do the job. Hard to find a bad ski these days.

Given your mass, go a bit longer and a manufacturer with a stiffer reputation e.g. Volkl.
ski holidays
Masque wrote:
...they must be 'flat', ie. no binding /rail system...
If they come with a plate will that be OK?
latest report
@Masque, sorry I didn't read the thread carefully enough and see that you wanted to put tele bindings on them. Embarassed
snow report
The only telemarker that I know skis on Kneissl.
snow conditions
rob@rar wrote:
Masque wrote:
...they must be 'flat', ie. no binding /rail system...
If they come with a plate will that be OK?

What are you suggesting? (do you have summat lurking in the corner just waiting for a pillock like me wink )

PS will you be in the "Office" the week before the eosb? My board needs a tune and I would like to buy a bag of quiver killers and a wee bit of instruction on their instalation.
ski holidays
PS you lot, the weight's coming off, fingers x'd I'll be mid 90s by the bash and goal is mid 70s for next Winter. Evil or Very Mad
latest report
@Masque, in your dotage you're getting me confused with Spyderjon wink

The week before the EoSB I'll be somewhere in Italy.
latest report
@rob@rar, Embarassed Embarassed Embarassed I'd just got off a mad (& very heated) call with my bank . . . and yes my head was in Lincs.

Italy . . . lucky buggеr Confused
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy