Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Christmas in La Plagne or L2A?

Poster: A snowHead
Hi - has anyone been to La Plange or L2A during Christmas/ early season in the past few years? We are planning our next season and had some good prices for these two resorts but not sure what is the snow and skiing like in a bad year?

Last Christmas we went to Tignes and had a great time ( TR http://snowheads.com/ski-forum/viewtopic.php?t=129745&highlight=)
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Personally, I'd stick with Tignes. From what we saw on webcams L2A looked pretty sparse this christmas (we had thought of driving round). You have the glacier of course, along with every other man and his dog. We didn't ski Plagne at christmas but I heard it was pretty icy, no surprises there. I've stayed once in belle plagne at christmas when you couldn't even get to Montchavin. Les Arcs on New Years Day was pretty reasonable this year I thought, but looking across at Montchavin, Arcs was better. We did the week in les menuires for christmas, it was sparse but usable and we will be continuing to do that. After skiing Arcs on the 1st we took a punt on Rosiere for the 2nd and 3rd and La Thuile was the real big hit of the trip, I don't know if this is normal or not.
latest report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
It was actually good here with plenty of real snow down to 2100m. 2 pistes, black and blue, open down to resort, with artificial snow, cant remember now if it was just before Christmas or New Year. It was also pretty quiet too.
latest report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Claude B wrote:
It was actually good here with plenty of real snow down to 2100m. 2 pistes, black and blue, open down to resort, with artificial snow, cant remember now if it was just before Christmas or New Year. It was also pretty quiet too.

Not too busy? We did think of coming from Albertville.
latest report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
@andyrew, would love to go back to Tignes but prices not that good so far
@Claude B, how much was actually open apart from the resort runs?
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
@Bella2015, I think about 60 -70%. To be precise everything above 2100m (glacier, Toura, Crète, Super Diable), some of Fée but very sketchy. As I said resort runs were open just before or just after Christmas. None of Vallée Blanche open, still isn't.

Like Tignes you'll always get 1500m or so of vertical open, last Christmas was actually a little worse, thinner higher but more real snow lower.

It was actually quiet over Christmas and New Year was really only busy at thé week-end.

I like Tignes too I went there probably 5 years running but am here all the time too.

Take a look at the L2a thread in snowreports, I update there regularly.
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
I went to La Plagne over NY and stayed Plagne Centre. Dont think they had any snow for approx 6 weeks prior to my arrival so only 50% of the La Plagne pistes were open however it was pretty icy and didnt make for great. At that altitude of 2000m you should have a good chance of snow coverage but I have to say unless I could get a very good deal im not sure id be rushing to book NY again anytime soon. That said we did a day in Les Arcs at the end of our trip and it did appear the pistes were in much better condition over that side, presumably down to more / better snowmaking facilities.
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
I skied L2A this year from 26th to 31st December, I was pleasantly surprised with the quality of snow coverage on piste and % of pistes open, despite no significant snowfall for over 5 weeks.

From Cretes (2,100m) to the top of the glacier (3,600m) the snow was in good shape, albeit some rocks were appearing in busy spots and some of the steeper runs above Diable were closed or icy/rocky. The resort runs were covered with artificial snow and were very icy however and crowded from 3pm onwards, it was carnage.

The main issue however was queue times, which could be up to 20 mins on the glacier and 15 mins at the beginners area at Cretes, however queues uploading in the morning were rare. The primary reason for the queues, in my opinion, was due to ski club's from smaller resorts in the area, e.g. chamrousse, descending on the glacier for ski training, as L2A was the only resort in the area with significant areas of snow coverage. That said it was still an enjoyable week and surpassed my expectations. I'd consider returning again at Xmas 2017.
snow conditions
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Thanks all. The offers I have are for Clubmed for both L2A and La Plagne... anyone has been? Worth it?
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Glacier t bars can be a pain, I rarely use them.

I've not been in Club Med here. Positioned at L2A 1800m. If there is plenty of snow it's more or less ski in/out. If snow not great a short walk to Village chair and download via chair or down Valentine (Steep black). Bit of a treck by foot into main area of resort in evening. Downhill out and uphill back. Buses run but not late.
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
@Bella2015,

Been to the ClubMed (CM) in L2A - going to the one in La Plagne 2100 in March.

I find them brilliant and they really are fully inclusive (only spending money needed for tips/stops at mountain restaurants etc). Food excellent. Some people like to book their skis/boots etc with a seperate company due to price - but I find the convenience out weighs the extra cost.

Any specific questions PM or post them

Skitrack
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
We were in Les Arcs this Christmas and spent a day in la plagne. We thought that overall the skiing/snow conditions were better in Les Arcs so one day in la plagne was more than enough for us. There is a club med in vallandry, Les arcs. Nevertheless the only really bad stretch in la plagne was mont blanc above Les Coches - very icy and people falling all over the place. If the club med is high up in the ski area it would probably be fine to book for next Christmas.

Even though conditions were well below average in Les Arcs/La Plagne this year they were significantly better than many other resorts. If we were to go skiing at that time of year again I would go back to Les Arcs.
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
L2A is a marmite resort.

Paradiski is a safe bet. The links to and from the Vanoise Express are maintained at all times.

It will match the conditions you experienced at Tignes.

Club Med I don't know much about (we use appartments) but location wise in La Plagne 2100 (Aime) is high, which is good for access to the higher slopes but in poor weather you are in the thick of it. We stay down in Les Coches for the altitude, tree skiing in poor weather and easy access to the VE.

The Club Med in Vallandry would be worth a look it as a similar profile to Les Coches.
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
@skitrack, have you ever been to the tignes clubmed? How do they compare. I have been to the La Plagne one but like 15 yrs ago - do hope it has been refurbished since then...
latest report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Mixed reviews on Trip Advisor
But seem mostly first world problems.
ski holidays
@Bella2015,

I beleive La Plagne was refurbished about 5 years ago (saw it on their website somewhere) - So I'M hoping it's been refurbished too Very Happy

Been to the one in Tignes and it's one of the "lesser" CM in my opinion. Probably about the same as L2D. My personal favourites as Peissey-Vallandry and Valmorel BUT both of them are more expensive. Valmorel probably not best suited for xmas as its in a very low resort.

Skitrack

PS Nothing wrong with any of them - just I prefer some above others
snow report
@Bella2015, Do not go to L2A at new year, it gets invaded by groups of Italian yobs looking to cause trouble.
snow conditions
I think that's a bit in the past now, was the case yes. I was here this year and I don't believe there were any problems.
latest report
Thanks all... I think we are leaning toward the Tignes option more.. only because we think we get better skiing conditions.Would mean though going a week earlier and perhaps taking kids out of school for 3 days to get a decent price..oh well
latest report
Bella2015 wrote:
Thanks all... I think we are leaning toward the Tignes option more.. only because we think we get better skiing conditions.Would mean though going a week earlier and perhaps taking kids out of school for 3 days to get a decent price..oh well

I wouldn't make the decision based on that. I've been in Tignes (once) and La Plagne (twice) the last three Christmas when there has been a lack of snow it's year. Both resorts have good snow making and high altitude terrain which provides the best possible skiing in the circumstances.
latest report
@Layne, thanks. Also the price is better for Tignes if we go one week early (and no option for that week in La Plagne and L2A) .. but this creates another issue as you know from my other thread.
ski holidays
We went to L2A for Christmas 7 years ago. Conditions were excellent, but this is obviously no indicator for conditions at any other point in history!

The resort that Christmas put on a good number of Christmassy activities. Which might not be of interest if you are staying in Club Med.

Anyway, this shows what it was like on the glacier back then. No action cam I was holding a camera in my hand and it was about -14c
http://youtube.com/v/nmT9pEbQEAo
latest report
@hammerite, looks beautiful!
snow conditions
The only time I went over Christmas, was to Arcs 1950, which we enjoyed.

As resorts go, I'd rather be in La Plagne than L2A...but I'd rather be in Les Arcs than either....but that's just me.
snow report
Old Fartbag wrote:
As resorts go, I'd rather be in La Plagne than L2A...but I'd rather be in Les Arcs than either....but that's just me.

La Plagne has a large variety of villages as does Les Arcs so if resort = where you stay there are plenty of options. If resort = the ski area, then as they are part of one big ski area it's a moot point.
snow conditions
Layne wrote:
Old Fartbag wrote:

La Plagne has a large variety of villages as does Les Arcs so if resort = where you stay there are plenty of options. If resort = the ski area, then as they are part of one big ski area it's a moot point.

There is quite a lot of skiing at both Les Arcs and La Plagne, so it's quite possible that the OP would keep mostly to the resort that they choose, especially as I think the standard lift pass gives 1 day in the sister resort....if this isn't the case, then you are right.
snow report
I've chosen to stay in La Plagne but ski mostly in Les Arcs because it was cheaper to stay in La Plagne but in my experience La Plagne seems to be particularly attractive to really crap/dangerous skiers/boarders and I much prefer the skiing in Les Arcs.
ski holidays
swiftoid wrote:
I've chosen to stay in La Plagne but ski mostly in Les Arcs because it was cheaper to stay in La Plagne but in my experience La Plagne seems to be particularly attractive to really crap/dangerous skiers/boarders and I much prefer the skiing in Les Arcs.

That is also why I prefer Les Arcs....along with the fact that I too find the Piste skiing more interesting.

In recent years, Crystal have had decent offers to the likes of The Golf and Cachette hotels.
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy