Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Tips Up!--Just getting started

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
Howdy everybody, being new to this forum and (most) things ski related I'm REALLY hoping to receive some advice from the community. First off, I have two sons, ages 16 and 20, both interested in skiing competitively for the first time. From what I can glean online I believe Alpine skiing to be the best fit but have no expectations as to season lengths or how practicing may conflict with school schedules. Now, is it generally too late to get going this time of year? If so, are there any recommendations for being on the ball with this later on? Lastly, my eldest is rather hesitant about getting into this so late in his age, is it typical for kids over 18 to start? And are there any meaningful stories you may wish to share? Many thanks to everyone in advance !!
snow conditions
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
@skimama64, skiing competitively (proper races) or recreationally?
latest report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
@Themasterpiece asks a good question... if it's recreational, then go for it. Get down to your nearest slope (dry or otherwise) and join the club. Speak to the parents, keep it light, enjoy it.

Competetively? Look I know its a bit generalised as a statement, but the good racers (alpine skiing) will be the ones who started when they were still in single digits. If your lads are emotionally strong and ready for getting their backsides handed to them in every race for a good while then maybe... I couldn't do it.
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
How much skiing have they done before? And where do you live, ie how close to snow?
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Hello again--thanks to all for all the kind responses!! We live in Salt Lake City, UT and really close to snow. They've grown up skiing here but with no formal training of course. Perhaps I require further elaboration on the divisions of ski racing currently available to them. I know they would love to be training with a team/instructor for slalom races at any competitive level. I assume there are age brackets like other sport leagues (i.e. U-18 and U-21 with respect to their ages) In regards to Alpine skiing, is there a recreational option to where they can still have the racing experience? I believe that's what they'd love to be a part of beyond anything else! Also, how many racers are there typically per team for tournaments and competitions and are they separated by conference? i.e. Rocky Mountains, etc.
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
@skimama64, You probably haven't realised, but this forum is 99% UK/Europe related. I'm sure some may have good advice for you, but as you are really focused on skiing in N.America then you are probably better off asking your questions to a more 'local' forum.
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
@skimama64, this site might be better for your N American focus

http://www.epicski.com/f/
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Well most places in the US the sort of skiing you are after is known as Beer League but maybe in Utah it's slightly different.

I think they will struggle getting into formal divisional age group races because they are of the age when it gets really serious and most kids decide they'd rather pursue freeskiing and post 18 I'd have thought Ncaa is a mainstay.

But I could be being superficial here.
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy