Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Calais to St Anton drive hints and tips please

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
I know there was a post on here recently but i cant find it after an extensive search , the best solution is to ask again .

So anybody got any tips on how long from Calais to st Anton , where to stop overnight , should i avoid as much of France as possible , someone somewhere did say the German/Austrian border is a nightmare , someone suggested going to Luxembourg for cheap petrol ( really !!! saving £20 on petrol but taking an extra hour or two does not seem sensible to me ) . Trip would likely be at half term so leave UK early on a Friday morning stop within 2 hrs of St Anton so we have a relatively short Saturday drive before hitting slopes mid morning .

All hints and tips greatly received
latest report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
via Luxembourg is one of the suggested routes. It's the shortest route, not an hour or two longer.

Ignore the thing about German/Austria border being a nightmare. The one near Bregenz won't be. It's the busy one near Kufstein that can be, and often is busy (and that's a really long detour!).
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
We did Calais to Kitzbuhel and stopped at Mannheim for the night which we found a fairly good half way point. We did Brussels>Cologne>Mannheim>Stuttgart>Munich which seemed fine. We'd decided to avoid France because of the cost of tolls and instead plot a journey mainly through Germany to take advantage of the autobahn which saved a fair bit of time. We did go through the boarder near Kufstein and whilst there were a fair few cars about, there was no delay.

On the way home we did the same in reverse but without a stop.
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
From experience - share the driving hour on / hour off. May seem a bit extreme but changing drivers that frequently helps fend off tiredness/boredom.
latest report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Winter tyres are mandatory in Germany and Austria. Don't listen to anyone who says that they got away OK without them. They won't be the ones trying to argue with the police, or hearing from their insurer that they are disclaiming all liability for an accident. Snow chains and snow socks are no substitute, legally.
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
Always gone to Ischgl via Luxembourg, never had a problem in Bregenz.
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
I did this trip and stayed in Ulm Ibis. There's secure parking and a decent breakfast available. Just over 2 hours to your destination after that. The hotel is just of the motorway more or less. Like others say, go through lux.
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Ulm Ibis is right in the middle of the emissions zone. Officially you need a green sticker on the car.
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
andy you seemed to be very well informed , it seems you are right google maps suggests via reims , metz , strasbourg, stuttgart , memmingen , bregenz , st anton is about 1049km whereas if we go via calais , ghent , brussels ,stuttgart , memmingen , bregenz , st anton it is only 1023km so it is shorter , is that more or less the route you would suggest . Thanks for the tips about snow tyres didnt know that .
snow conditions
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
There are several options.
The way through France has a toll.
Calais Lille Namur Luxembourg then the A8 via Pirmasens and a short non-autobahn section via Karlsruhe and back on to the A8 is one of the regularly suggested routes (and the shortest), rather than going via Brussels. And gets you cheap fuel.
I don't go that way, since I live near Frankfurt, and it's longer for me than Brussels-Aachen-Cologne-Frankfurt way. So I don't know what it's like.
latest report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Use the viamichelin.co.uk site that lets you change planned routes and gives price/cost comparison. Avoid going into Switzerland, and make sure you have an Austrian Vignette for the duration of your stay. Don't get lost and end up going via Warth, the Lechtal pass will be closed.
latest report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy