Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Is end of March, early April snowsure everywhere

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
Hi Snowheads, in the process of organising a long weekend away over March/April weekend.

Probably going to have to fly to Geneva and ski an hour or so away from there. The worry is that Morzine and many surrounding resorts are fairly low relative to Espace Killy/Three Valleys.

Do i need to be resort altitude conscious at that time of the year or are all resorts near Geneva snowsure until early April?

We did Chamonix last year which has Grand Montets for high altitude, but fancy somewhere different this year.

Also open to other countries but finding midweek flights in and out of Austria/Italy seems impossible bearing in mind our local airports are Cardiff/Bristol or Birmingham at a stretch.

All advice gratefully received
snow conditions
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
It's possible to get bad snow everywhere, at any time of the season. Worst snow conditions I've had was a few years back at Easter, which, IIRC, was around 7th April. I was in Les Arcs and one side of the domain had closed most pistes as there was no snow. By comparison, last season had some of the best snow conditions in April and it continued to snow in to May and June.
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Generally snow is deepest at Mid-March. I've never ran out of snow before lifts have shut for the end of the season anywhere, even very low resorts - but be aware from April the snow will be soft and slushy (for reasons I don't understand some people don't like this).

However you should be checking what the snow conditions and weather forecasts are like now for the areas you are looking at. My impression of much of France is that it has only had one decent snow fall so far this winter and snow depths are below average (someone local might well correct me though!), and if things don't change that might have an impact later on.

Can you fly into Munich or Zurich? Northern Austrian/Swiss Alps could also do with more snow, but are closer to average snow depths at this point at least.
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
Quote:

The worry is that Morzine and many surrounding resorts are fairly low relative to Espace Killy/Three Valleys.

It's not so much a worry as a fact of topography.

I've had very good trips to 3V, Les Arcs, EK, L2A in April with Alpe d'Huez not so good. I've been to the PDS mid March for the last 4 years and wouldn't go any later - we've had a ball but certainly on the swiss side particularly you can see the snow retreating rapidly. And you need to enjoy skiing sugar which like @clarky999, I do.

For the past 4 years I've also been to Tignes on the 3rd week of April and now wouldn't go anywhere else then(I did once strike very lucky in the 3V on that week).

But, End of March, beginning of April things are on the cusp, you may be lucky low, me I would go high.
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
We've never sought out an area that is particularly high for Easter skiing.

We have however got used to skiing in sugar. I find that how busy a place is (or even just the odd piste) affects the enjoyment of skiing sugar. If a place or a particular piste is quiet it's lovely to ski, if it's busy there'll be ruts, mounds and moguls galore all with throngs of people huffing and puffing their way down. At which point someone (probably like @andyrew and @clarky999) come along seemingly skipping and slicing through everything making it look effortless.

The other thing is that you can find massive extremes. Very cold with a dump of fresh one day followed by bright blue skies and temps in there teens the next.

@Coco, try Monarch for Birmingham-Salzurg, I'm sure they still run this service.
snow conditions
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
@Coco, Davos is often good late season - fly to Zurich, loads of flights.
snow conditions

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy