Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Black toenail in ski boots

Poster: A snowHead
Please help - we only get to ski once a year ( or every other year) and my husband gets a black toenail every time he uses his boots ( they are about 10 years old)
Is there anything that can be done ? I fear this may be the reason he's not keen to go - this may be my last year that I can persuade him.
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Maybe his boots are a very bad fit? What conditions are his liners in? Are is feet in pain when he skis ? A boot should be a snug fit not loose and not too tight
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Boots were fitted by Snow and Rock . Theyre snug with custom made liners. Liners look fine.
latest report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
@skilass, Almost certainly poorly fitting boots. I used to loose my big toe nail every year due to skiing, until i got correctly fitting boots. In my case it was probably walking in the boots, rather than skiing that caused the issue.
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Thanks for the info. He's decided to hire boots when we go in Feb as he's only just regrown a new nail from 2 years ago!
latest report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Defo should not happen, even with tight race boots. Maybe they are too loose and he is sliding forward in the shell.
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
@skilass, is it only the one toe nail? I always give my feet a good going over before a ski trip and trim all nails right back so I have no problems.
snow conditions
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
I had a similar problem after getting my boots fitted although not to the extent of losing my nail. I went back to the boot fitter and he carved out some of the shell in the offending area and I keep my big toe nail trimmed. This solved the problem for me at least.
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Yes - just the big toe of one foot that's affected. Toe nails always clipped before going. The boots are definitely not too big. I guess it's too late to complain to Snow and Rock!
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
maybe the toe box is a little tight on the sides
snow conditions
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
@skilass, maybe if you take them to a decent boot fitter they will be able to modify the shell to accommodate that toe and give it some room easy fix and the relief for your husband will be worth the money if you say where abouts in the country you are I'm sure you will be recommended someone.
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
@skilass, out of interest what size are his boots?
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
skilass wrote:
The boots are definitely not too big.

I don't mean to be rude, but how do you know? Have you done a shell check?
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
He is a size 7 and his boots are a size 6.
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
this could be the problem also the width of the boot does he have wide feet or is his toe area slightly wide
latest report
@skilass, hmmm I would as I said try and get to a reputable fitter who can do a proper job for you and get him in a suitable boot or adjust the ones you have maybe.
snow report
Has quite slim feet so don't think there's an issue with that. I guess they must have been badly fitting from the outset. Will have to save up for next year. Although my daughters after her own boots too. Could be a pricey bizz.

Anyone recommend boot fitters in North East ( Newcastle) area?
ski holidays
@skilass, I used to get the same thing until someone showed me how to clip my boots properly. Same boots now, same toes now, no issues. There was a thread on here recently (within the last week I think) with a load of links.

Last edited by Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see? on Mon 23-01-17 23:11; edited 1 time in total
snow report
I'll have a searich and see what I can find. Thanks.
ski holidays
One of the links...Fairly much what instructor demonstrated. My feet were slipping forward so big toe nails taking all the pressure. The heel kick and second buckle seem to be the important bits.

http://youtube.com/v/yeo_8CoGqUM
latest report
skilass wrote:
He is a size 7 and his boots are a size 6.

Fair enough, but... ski boots aren't sized the same way as shoes. His boots should be somewhere in the twenty's (I wear size 10, my boots are 27). If they're 10 yrs old you might not be able to see a size on them, but it'd be interesting if you'd have a look.
snow report
They are size 25.0. The boots are Salomon Eclipse 8.0
snow conditions
@skilass, That sounds about right, but going by the charts mine would be far too small - they fit because that particular brand/model are very generously sized. Perhaps your husband's are the same. To be totally sure of fit you really need to see a boot fitter, but meanwhile you could perform a shell check. This would give you a better idea of their size.
latest report
at 10 years old the liner will be getting past its best, also the boot he has is a high volume box shaped last, if he has a slim foot there will be little or no retention and shape to hold his foot at the back of the boot in that model

couple the boot shape with technique and bruised toe nails are the result , sorry people are all to quick to blame the boot and the fitter every time (even if the boot shape was lousy (which in this case it almost certainly is) if the ski position was maintained the whole day the toes wouldn't slide forward as much as they will if the skier is caught in the back seat)
snow report
There you go problem solved and like we said a decent boot expert will give you the answers you need...new boots and lessons. Laughing
ski holidays
All of the above makes perfect sense, but I'd just reiterate the importance of really trimming toenails before skiing.
snow conditions
CEM wrote:
at 10 years old the liner will be getting past its best, also the boot he has is a high volume box shaped last, if he has a slim foot there will be little or no retention and shape to hold his foot at the back of the boot in that model

couple the boot shape with technique and bruised toe nails are the result , sorry people are all to quick to blame the boot and the fitter every time (even if the boot shape was lousy (which in this case it almost certainly is) if the ski position was maintained the whole day the toes wouldn't slide forward as much as they will if the skier is caught in the back seat)

Exactly what I went through last year. Only just got my big toenail back. I also have narrow, low volume feet and wasn't being supported by the standard insole. If I'm in the proper position my toes clear the front of the boot. In the process of getting mine tweaked at the moment by Rivington alpine. Fully recommend them, spent a good couple of hours sorting my boots I'd bought elsewhere. Friendly service, plenty of coffee and they explain what they're actually doing. Had a grind and a footbed and was educated how to fasten up properly! Feel great in the ski position with loads more control but the problem lies with me dropping into the back seat and thrusting my feet forward!
snow report
foxtrotzulu wrote:
All of the above makes perfect sense, but I'd just reiterate the importance of really trimming toenails before skiing.

+2 ..................... I actually lost both big toe nails the 1st time I skied due to this Shocked
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Quote:

if the ski position was maintained the whole day the toes wouldn't slide forward as much as they will if the skier is caught in the back seat

How true this is! I have sometimes suffered from bruised big toenails, but only when I've let my technique slip badly - if I get nervous and don't think about how I'm skiing, I can end up leaning back for long periods of time, which causes the problem. My toes are absolutely fine when I'm concentrating on body positioning!
ski holidays
I suspect it is a combination of poor technique and badly fitting boots. My OH is not nearly as confident at skiing and goes along to please me really, rather than for the sheer buzz I get from it.
latest report
Thanks so much to everyone for your advice. I have suggested he takes the boots with him and tightens them according to the youtube video that Thornyhill suggested but he won't hear of it. "They're just too small" he moans. I guess I can't do any more to help.
snow conditions
@skilass, Not sure how wide your husband's feet are, but many, if not most, ski boots are made on a very wide last. I have a similar problem in that one of my two pairs of boots fits lovely in width, but is too short. I suspect I will have black toes if I wore them for more than a couple of days. The other pair are a tad wide.

May I suggest your husband gets another pair of boots
snow report
Yes - think that's the only way forward. Toofy Grin
latest report
I did laugh when I read the title.

My wife - who says her boots feel like slippers - has half her toenails fall off after a week's skiing and that's been happening for years and years !

Mind you it might be because they feel like slippers
ski holidays
it amazes me just how long it takes for people to realise that something just ain't right if my toe nails fell off in such a painfully way I wouldn't loose another 9 till I asked the question but hey ho.
snow report
It's only happened the last couple of holidays. Not since he got them!
snow report
@skilass, sorry I'm not taking the wee wee but as I said it does amaze me how much pain people go through till they realise things are wrong ..I have a friend who is a dci in the Police so he's no dummy and he had some boots fitted at slush+rubble 2 sizes too small and he's nails fell off both big toes after three days and I just couldn't get my head round how he was blagged into thinking that they were ever right for him.
As you say its only been the last couple of times they must of been comfy at some point?.
snow report
I guess we are not complainers and you hope they will improve.......and then another year goes by and you fight the pain...and start all over again.
Last time in Serre Chevalier he ended up hiring for the laSt 3 days. Pretty scabby boots (dregs of half term hiring) but relief from crushing toes.
latest report
@skilass, new boots don't have to be expensive buy last year's or the years before that or tbh if you only go once a year stick with hiring I wouldn't of thought there would be any point buying plus you always have the option of getting different boots if one pair isn't right.
ski holidays
Good luck Very Happy
latest report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy