Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

What does good snowboarding look like?

Poster: A snowHead
Can anyone point me to a video of "good " on-piste riding?

As a visual learner, I need to see an example to 'get it'.
Watching all the great, and not so great, snowboarding videos online : nearly everything is tricks, massive airs, buttering, extreme carving or huge offpiste cliff drops.. not quite achievable for a 2 week relative beginner.

Very Happy
snow conditions
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
I'm slightly different - what does bad snowboarding look like, and how to correct it?

Late 80s ESF was always "Follow me, copy me." Yeah well that's what I thought I was doing, why do I keep crashing?
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
@Orange200, I took the scary option and posted a video of myself riding and asked for feedback. Hair-raising, but I got a lot of very helpful advice from Snowheads. Very Happy
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Canadian high-level instructor demos:

http://youtube.com/v/vlWY1MFkHM4
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Doesn't get any better than this guy:

http://youtube.com/v/wIwZLGVZROA

Or this one:

http://youtube.com/v/Ps9L_5Gh-QE&t=226s
latest report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
I've found myself watching a fair few of this guys videos lately... No huge jumps, just little on piste tricks and a super smooth style.

http://youtube.com/v/dFzm1qEyyio

Even if you ignore the little tricks thrown in throughout, the slinky smooth flowing carves are lovely. Much more accessible as something to aspire to for a rider at lower levels than the big ballsy stuff IMHO.
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
I couldn't bring myself to mention Ryan Knapton (with every video, I want to punch him in the head even more) but for smooth, piste riding, it doesn't get much better.
snow conditions
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
I spent a lot of time watching Snowboard Pro Camp on Youtube:

<iframe></iframe>

https://www.youtube.com/user/SnowboardProCamp

I think his video's are really clear and helpful personally.
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
stevomcd wrote:
I couldn't bring myself to mention Ryan Knapton (with every video, I want to punch him in the head even more) but for smooth, piste riding, it doesn't get much better.

Yeah he rides better than he speaks eh.
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
@stevomcd, @francium., @jjams82, @vjmehra, thank you all!

Of these, the ones I've come across before are Ryan Knapton and Snowboard Pro camp.

I always wonder where on earth Knapton finds those groomed slopes? Does he only ever go up first lift? Very Happy

I found Snowboard Procamp really helpful for my first trip out, very confidence building.
snow conditions
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Mu and crew .

http://youtube.com/v/MGjy8fojhr8

http://youtube.com/v/PoXtOcBfSCE

I like all of this a whole lot.

Last edited by snowHeads are a friendly bunch. on Mon 23-01-17 19:30; edited 1 time in total
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
stevomcd wrote:
Canadian high-level instructor demos:

http://youtube.com/v/vlWY1MFkHM4

This is excellent, it's like a literal demonstration of where I want to get to. ( Riding, not to be an instructor! Very Happy )
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
@francium., Inspirational stuff! Very Happy
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
This is very interesting, I'm seeing a lot of low, fast carving in here: Jeremy Jones, Nicolas Muller, Korua Shapes, Ryan Knapton.... and coming from a number of posters.

As a beginner I've always marveled at smooth carving, and started to work (slowly) towards it. It's good to see you more experienced riders flagging it as something worth aiming for.
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
^My aim for the couple weeks of snowheads bash i've got coming up is learning how to carve good:)
ski holidays
Or at least half good, ish.
latest report
I just want to be able to ride a button lift, ha!

After the last trip they became my arch nemesis out of nowhere, never had problems before...now I always stumble when getting on (even fell completely once)!
latest report
@jjams82, I'll be right behind you, on the BB.

Good luck @vjmehra, for me so far it's Button lifts 1: robin_mxx 0.
snow conditions
robin_mxx wrote:
@jjams82, I'll be right behind you, on the BB.

Cool:D

Best carving at the end wins, well, nothing, but it's a motivator eh!

vjmehra wrote:
I just want to be able to ride a button lift, ha!

After the last trip they became my arch nemesis out of nowhere, never had problems before...now I always stumble when getting on (even fell completely once)!

My first ever run on a snowboard was down to a button lift with no other way up the hill again... It took me about an hour to get up it, all with a balcony full of lunchers watching me cheering when i fell (though to be fair the largest cheer was when i finally got it right!) - then a couple days later i fell off at the top of one and when the guy behind me released his it sprung straight into my face at speed causing my eyebrow and eyelid to fill with blood till it looked like half a tennis ball Very Happy

Button lifts be damned!
ski holidays
#banthebutton chairlifts for all wink
snow report
^You want to join my snowheads snowboarders union... It's the number one demand, right behind the elimination of long flats.
snow conditions
I've been riding for 10 years and can carve pretty well had a advanced piste performance session with some mates on my last trip and learnt to do proper laid out euro carves you can always improve your riding.
ski holidays
Quote:

^You want to join my snowheads snowboarders union... It's the number one demand, right behind the elimination of long flats.

Sign me up to that!!!
latest report
vjmehra wrote:
Quote:

Sign me up to that!!!

You are now vice president in charge of that scraping noise skiers seem to really hate.
latest report
Awesome, I'm good at that wink
snow conditions
robin_mxx wrote:
@Orange200, I took the scary option and posted a video of myself riding and asked for feedback. Hair-raising, but I got a lot of very helpful advice from Snowheads. Very Happy

Smile I'm arrogant enough to think that my boarding isn't bad (well, wasn't; haven't done any for 10 yrs) - I learned from scratch with Canadian instructors at Lake Louise and Sunshine Cool Cool . The comment above was a paraphrasing of my skiing, which is VERY slowly recovering from the damage inflicted in France over some years. I had an aikido instructor who was similar, "no, just copy me". Apparently it's a way of teaching, but it didn't gel with my way of learning.
snow conditions
Can I get some kind of role organising the rolling sit-down protests just out of sight over a ridge? I mainly just snowboard so I have an excuse to cool my junk in the snow.
snow report
Love Ryan Knaptons videos, the guy is a biyt of an oddball but has some style and is funny.

Snowboard Pro camp is really good

Also snowboard addiction
http://youtube.com/v/tDHPwEgMN-s
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
jjams82 wrote:

the Union grows!!
snow report
Terje

Craig Kelly (Rip)

I can at least emulate the Kelly arm when riding pow.

Sorry that's not on piste. There is a video somewhere of Terje riding the Baker Banked Slalom switch - epitome of skill and style.
snow conditions
Richard_Sideways wrote:
the rolling sit-down protests

Laughing

Can also be upgraded to ragdoll tumbles at choke points
latest report
francium. wrote:
I've been riding for 10 years and can carve pretty well had a advanced piste performance session with some mates on my last trip and learnt to do proper laid out euro carves you can always improve your riding.

Very cool, there's always something to develop...I'll not be trying eurocarves for a while yet! Laughing
snow report
jjams82 wrote:
vjmehra wrote:
Quote:

Sign me up to that!!!

You are now vice president in charge of that scraping noise skiers seem to really hate.

Toofy Grin Toofy Grin Toofy Grin
latest report
Richard_Sideways wrote:
Can I get some kind of role organising the rolling sit-down protests just out of sight over a ridge? I mainly just snowboard so I have an excuse to cool my junk in the snow.

You're in. Official title - Chief executive in charge of stopping in annoying places.
snow conditions
That'll go nicely with my job at Southern Rail too...
snow report
jjams82 wrote:
... It's the number one demand, right behind the elimination of long flats.

Neither of those is an issue with a bit of practice. You can probably find videos. on how to do it...

Ryan is based in Colorado. Which tends to explain some of the terrain he's on. Donek is there too (custom snowboards and low volume carve-oriented gear).

I like his approach because he gets the basics right without instructor BS. And his educational stuff is precisely that - he's not showing off, he's genuinely interested in showing people how it's done.

Craig (just passed the anniversary of his death, 14 years ago) had a very distinctive style, but he'd have changed with modern gear. So not a great reference unless you're riding very old gear.

Terje rides well, but I think he's probably hard to emulate for learning purposes. You need to be good to use terrain the way he does. Inspiration, certainly, but not as instructive as Ryan's stuff.
ski holidays
Set aside the stance etc and this is still beautiful riding

http://youtube.com/v/onvLN8QXH-c

Anyway it inspired me to spend 30mins watching Kelly clips on YouTube last night.
snow report
Embarassed Embarassed Embarassed I quite like playing around on a button lift. I can't do the Tarzan tricks like the wee ankle biters but as long as they get me up the hill they're more comfortable than a crowded chair . . .
snow report
Yes, we all suspected @Masque wasn't normal... no doubt about it now! Very Happy
snow conditions
Dave of the Marmottes wrote:
Set aside the stance etc and this is still beautiful riding

Seriousy smooth
latest report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy