Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Dave Rydiing equals best ever British result

Poster: A snowHead
ansta1 wrote:
ansta1 wrote:
musher wrote:
Has it started yet? I can't find it online on the BBC.

Your 24 hours early Very Happy

But if you somehow find a weird time rift and watch it, please don't post any spoilers without a spoiler alert else the natives will get restless and come and hacksaw off your wedding vegetables.

Laughing Laughing Laughing
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
I never could read the instructions Embarassed
snow conditions
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
As soon as an event has taken place, I'd be happy to read comments about it.
It's quite sad to read that no discussion should take place, or any discussion needs to be hidden until people catch up.
"Dave Ryding equals Britain's best ever result" is absolutely fine with me. It would prompt my interest.

Imagine being Austrian and bleating that you didn't want to be told of Hirscher's result until you'd got home Confused

There's a sad and quite frankly mouldy-smelling aura to many of the postings on this thread.

Fantastic congratulations to Dave Ryding on his Silver.
Hirscher has an entire nation behind him, and unlimited funding and personnel. It's Austria's #1 sport.
Ryding hasn't even got people at Ski Sunday sufficiently funded to comment. He has only just got himself a Ski Man and he has to fund himself a shortfall of £tens of thousands a year just to be able to turn up.
Dave will beat everyone one day soon.
Hirscher is a worried man haunted by Riding's shadow.
Imagine his National shame if a privateer from the North of England beat him!
I'm amazed at Dave's clean skiing. He is working on that to get even better.
Let's turn aside futile banter and mutual criticism and try to publicise to all our ski and non-ski friends Dave Riding's rise to success.
This will be measured by Eurosport sales no doubt.
UK Sport has gone the populist route with the novelty TV events. They boast of £4.8 million funding the government is providing. For what they are calling "freestyle" winter sports. None apparently for Alpine I.e the difficult sports that take 10+ years just to get competitive.
Let's help get Alpine back where it belongs. Its athletes need proper funding.
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
SkiPresto wrote:
It's quite sad to read that no discussion should take place, or any discussion needs to be hidden until people catch up.
If you think that is what has been said you need to read this thread again, this time more carefully rolling eyes
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Currently skiing in Westendorf (just over the hill from Kitz). On our first lift today, Austrian guy, on learning we were English, was profuse in his (genuine seeming) congratulations for this result.
snow conditions
 You'll need to Register first of course.
@robrar That's quite enough condescending instruction from you, thanks.
I can see you are well practiced in the art with nearly 40,000 postings.
Maybe you should get grant aided yourself and make a full time career of it.
For information:
I have carefully read and re read the entire sorry saga. It should have been a celebration of triumph.
Unfortunately, it is a depressing, petty, cronyist, self-centred, self-serving, outdated shibboleth to the 1990's.
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
@SkiPresto, what a load of tosh! A very simple point was being made about the title, and the title alone, of the thread.
latest report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
SkiPresto wrote:
Simply trying to help with your misreading of the thread. Nobody said don't discuss the result (there are at least three threads which do that), nobody said that the discussion should be hidden, plenty of people have celebrated Ryding's result on the forum (me included) for this race and some of his other excellent results this season. However, plenty of people have said, quite simply, don't stick the results in the thread title. It hasn't taken me 33K posts to develop a bit of respect for my follow forum users, nor the ability to comprehend what has been written. I had that from my first post.
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
SkiPresto wrote:
I can see you are well practiced in the art with nearly 40,000 postings.
Maybe you should get grant aided yourself and make a full time career of it.
For information:
I have carefully read and re read the entire sorry saga. It should have been a celebration of triumph.
Unfortunately, it is a depressing, petty, cronyist, self-centred, self-serving, outdated shibboleth to the 1990's.

well you certainly have a way with words - doesn't seem to be the English language however.
snow conditions
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
stefoy4me wrote:
"Imagine logging onto a football forum and expecting the day's results to not be discussed until after the conclusion of Match Of The Day later that evening".

LOL - absolutely......can t believe the pelters that the OP is getting.........championing a great british result.....which is as rare as rocking horse do do in skiing................and being lamented by some for spoiling their Sunday!!!!!!

if its that important...watch it live or stay off the net................simples!!!!!!

reading some of the posts on this thread...goes a long way to explaining why many think that people who going skiing think their sh@t don t stink!!!!!!!........Micky Flanagan could have a field day in here.

Glad to see some common sense after some pompous claptrap. I post on here quite a bit.I'm friendly to all I meet and try to avoid conflict. I just thought I'd post something on a ski forum about a great British ski success and a vary small minority from the 'world revolves around me' brigade start getting bolshy. I might go on a football forum on Saturday evening and start giving grief to those who discuss the day's matches before I'be seen them on Match of The Day. Sorry for being so blunt but make no apology for standing up to those who labelled me thoughtless for posting something skiing related that was all over the media at the time. As I get older I do seem to be less to!errant of those who feel the world revolves around them.

Anyway, good to see the ski racing being talked about. Which is why I posted the OP. Can't belie Becky OP caused a row. It was supposed to be about something similar.
latest report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
@cameronphillips2000,
Quote:

good to see the ski racing being talked about
I doubt there's a single person on this thread who disagrees with that, or who belittles the achievement in question.
snow conditions
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
[quote="cameronphillips2000"]
stefoy4me wrote:
"Im make no apology for standing up to those who labelled me thoughtless for posting something skiing related that was all over the media at the time. As I get older I do seem to be less to!errant of those who feel the world revolves around them.

Anyway, good to see the ski racing being talked about. Which is why I posted the OP.

Well at the very least your post was lazy as there was already an active real time thread talking about it and celebrating it clearly visible on the same page.

Fortunately this thread now serves a separate purpose as all purpose sH!tstorm of the week. Which we badly need as a pressure valve at least until it starts snowing reliably across Europe.
latest report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
cameronphillips2000 wrote:

Glad to see some common sense after some pompous claptrap. I post on here quite a bit.I'm friendly to all I meet and try to avoid conflict. I just thought I'd post something on a ski forum about a great British ski success and a vary small minority from the 'world revolves around me' brigade start getting bolshy. I might go on a football forum on Saturday evening and start giving grief to those who discuss the day's matches before I'be seen them on Match of The Day. Sorry for being so blunt but make no apology for standing up to those who labelled me thoughtless for posting something skiing related that was all over the media at the time. As I get older I do seem to be less to!errant of those who feel the world revolves around them.

Anyway, good to see the ski racing being talked about. Which is why I posted the OP. Can't belie Becky OP caused a row. It was supposed to be about something similar.

Fact 1: You are in the minority

Fact 2: 'world revolves around me' Sadly that appears to be you by not accepting a simple and painless request from many members.

Fact 3: 'Anyway, good to see the ski racing being talked about'. Nobody at any time said any different.

All that was asked was that you don't put the results in title and put 'Spoiler' in it if it hasn't been televised. By all means chat about the results until your fingers bleed, just let others know. What is there so difficult to understand about that?
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
[quote="Dave of the Marmottes"]
stefoy4me wrote:
"Im make no apology for standing up to those who labelled me thoughtless for posting something skiing related that was all over the media at the time. As I get older I do seem to be less to!errant of those who feel the world revolves around them.

Anyway, good to see the ski racing being talked about. Which is why I posted the OP.

Well at the very least your post was lazy as there was already an active real time thread talking about it and celebrating it clearly visible on the same page.

Fortunately this thread now serves a separate purpose as all purpose sH!tstorm of the week. Which we badly need as a pressure valve at least until it starts snowing reliably across Europe.

Oh, I don't disagree it was lazy. Hence my first comment in the first post. I'd did a quite scan but missed it.

I posted the result in the thread title because the result was the news and Poeple were likely to read it.
Now, for those if you think that 40 000 Snowheads from all over the world should look at all the TV schedules your viewing time... That's pretty unreasonable and selfish. If I don't want to know the England football score before the evening highlights, I don't go in the pub, where the match is likely to be being discussed.

I have also noticed a slight pattern here in that some of the most vociferous comments against me seem to be from posters who regularly get into online spats on here. I think this online spat stuff is a first for me on here. All I wanted to do was start a thread on a great ski result...
snow conditions
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
[quote="Dave of the Marmottes"]
stefoy4me wrote:

Oh, I don't disagree it was lazy. Hence my first comment in the first post. I'd did a quite scan but missed it.

I posted the result in the thread title because the result was the news and Poeple were likely to read it.
Now, for those if you think that 40 000 Snowheads from all over the world should look at all the TV schedules your viewing time... That's pretty unreasonable and selfish. If I don't want to know the England football score before the evening highlights, I don't go in the pub, where the match is likely to be being discussed.

I have also noticed a slight pattern here in that some of the most vociferous comments against me seem to be from posters who regularly get into online spats on here. I think this online spat stuff is a first for me on here. All I wanted to do was start a thread on a great ski result...
ski holidays
king key wrote:

Fact 2: 'world revolves around me' Sadly that appears to be you by not accepting a simple and painless request from many members.

Fact 3: 'Anyway, good to see the ski racing being talked about'. Nobody at any time said any different.

All that was asked was that you don't put the results in title and put 'Spoiler' in it if it hasn't been televised. By all means chat about the results until your fingers bleed, just let others know. What is there so difficult to understand about that?

I am not in the minority
It is not a simple and painless request, I think its unreasonable, selfish and people should stay occasion forums with 40 00 members if they do not wish to hear current ski news
People seemed far more keen to talk about their evening being ruined than the ski result.
latest report
king key wrote:

I am not in the minority
It is not a simple and painless request, I think its unreasonable, selfish and people should stay occasion forums with 40 00 members if they do not wish to hear current ski news
People seemed far more keen to talk about their evening being ruined than the ski result.
snow report
I give up. You are clearly an unreasonable person.
snow conditions
Quote:

Hmmm, I call balls. You have absolutely no idea what the majority of snowheads feel about this thread because (and this actually is a FACT) the overwhelming majority haven't offered an opinion either way.

Opinion 1: There is a right load of sanctimonious dangly bits on this thread.
ski holidays
king key wrote:

Not unreasonable. Would never dream of asking people not to post something on a large international forum because I didn't want that information yet. I would simply stay off that forum for a while until I'd found out what I wanted to know. That way my wishes would be met by my actions and I would be expecting nothing from others to fulfil my demands. That is being a reasonable person. Expecting up to 40 000 people to know and adhere to my wishes is, somewhat, self centered and unreasonable.
latest report
It is not a simple and painless request...
I honestly don't want to get in to an online spat, I can think of nothing more pointless. But your point is not something I can understand. Would your post have been less worthwhile if you had said "Amazing Kitzbuhel slalom result!" ? Was it essential to put a spoiler in the thread title? Many people would have known that Ryding came 2nd from what you said. Anyone who wanted to comment would have known exactly what the thread was about if you had said 'amazing slalom result', and those who wanted to wait (not me, I followed the FIS live timing) could have done so without having to avoid snowHeads for four hours.
snow report
Can we not discuss any of this until ski Sunday have given the whole event 3 minutes coverage squeezed in between two bits of twirly Whirly snowboarding Toofy Grin
snow report
rob@rar wrote:
I honestly don't want to get in to an online spat, I can think of nothing more pointless. But your point is not something I can understand. Would your post have been less worthwhile if you had said "Amazing Kitzbuhel slalom result!" ? Was it essential to put a spoiler in the thread title? Many people would have known that Ryding came 2nd from what you said. Anyone who wanted to comment would have known exactly what the thread was about if you had said 'amazing slalom result', and those who wanted to wait (not me, I followed the FIS live timing) could have done so without having to avoid snowHeads for four hours.

I saw the story on the BBC news site. My title was the BBC news title. I had no idea if it was going to be on ski Sunday or not. I had no idea people were waiting to see the result on Ski Sunday.
I think it unreasonable to expect me to know all this an act on it. If I didn't want to know the result I'd have stayed off ski forums. I certainly wouldn't have gone on a ski forum and starting pelting someone who d put up a well intentioned post about a ski result.
To be fair, just to test if I'm being unreasonable, and not being used to these spats, I have just run my original lost past my greatest critic (my wife) who just burst out laughing and said 'how are you supposed to know when people are going watch TV? If people are stupid enough to go on a ski forum when they don't want to know a ski result, then what can they expect?'
latest report
CANV CANVINGTON wrote:
Can we not discuss any of this until ski Sunday have given the whole event 3 minutes coverage squeezed in between two bits of twirly Whirly snowboarding Toofy Grin

you've ruined that for me now. I was going to watch that on iplayer on Wednesday night and didn't know the snowboarding was of the Twirly Wirly variety.
snow conditions
king key wrote:

No.... he is actually a really nice bloke, and good fun to ski with.
snow report
I saw the story on the BBC news site. My title was the BBC news title. I had no idea if it was going to be on ski Sunday or not. I had no idea people were waiting to see the result on Ski Sunday.
I think it unreasonable to expect me to know all this an act on it. If I didn't want to know the result I'd have stayed off ski forums. I certainly wouldn't have gone on a ski forum and starting pelting someone who d put up a well intentioned post about a ski result.
To be fair, just to test if I'm being unreasonable, and not being used to these spats, I have just run my original lost past my greatest critic (my wife) who just burst out laughing and said 'how are you supposed to know when people are going watch TV? If people are stupid enough to go on a ski forum when they don't want to know a ski result, then what can they expect?'
I'm glad your wife agrees with you, but you didn't answer my question: Would your post have been less worthwhile if you had said "Amazing Kitzbuhel slalom result!" ?
snow conditions
rob@rar wrote:

Was it essential to put a spoiler in the thread title? No it wasn't.
Was it essential for anybody who didn't want to know the result to log on to a ski forum? No it wasn't.
Was it a bit stupid for anybody who didn't want to know the result to log on to a ski forum? I think so.

I think the OP is getting a rough deal here. He seemed to be genuinely excited about a British skier doing well, didn't break the acceptable use policy and has a load of folk with their compression knickers in a twist giving him grief for posting about skiing on a skiing forum.
snow report
swiftoid wrote:
Was it essential for anybody who didn't want to know the result to log on to a ski forum? No it wasn't.
Was it a bit stupid for anybody who didn't want to know the result to log on to a ski forum? I think so..
Which is the point I'm trying to make. I agree it wasn't essential to put the result in the thread title, and if that had been avoided your second two points would be irrelevant. Nobody would need to avoid using the forum for a few hours. And everyone is happy.
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
rob@rar wrote:
I'm glad your wife agrees with you, but you didn't answer my question: Would your post have been less worthwhile if you had said "Amazing Kitzbuhel slalom result!" ?

No. But !yes not go setting precidents about having to contemplate every post title to see if it may ruin someone's day when they can simply take the steps mentiobed earlier to avoid finding out results.

Thank you for your kind words Glasgow Cyclops. I am indeed very good to ski with and can make you look very cool and macho by skiing next to my dated, French, wiggle bottom, s!lightly camp style.
snow report
really??

http://jaztelemark.com/about/results/
snow report
No.
Exactly.

I don't think it takes any thought about what's best in the thread title. Just a simple "don't post results in the thread title on the day of the competition" doesn't require any thought; doesn't stop people sharing news or comment about the result; and doesn't require people to avoid using the forum if they are waiting to watch the event later in the day. I just don't see what's difficult about that.

I've repeated the same point a few times now, so probably best to stop.
snow report
rob@rar wrote:
swiftoid wrote:
Was it a bit stupid for anybody who didn't want to know the result to log on to a ski forum? I think so..

Which is the point I'm trying to make. I agree it wasn't essential to put the result in the thread title, and if that had been avoided your second two points would be irrelevant. Nobody would need to avoid using the forum for a few hours. And everyone is happy.

If the second two points had been avoided the first one would be irrelevant.

If I really wanted to avoid finding out the result I'd have avoided anything snowsports related because I can control what I do but I can't control what anybody else does and neither do I feel like I have the right to try to. I'd also have stayed away from facebook, twitter, news sites and anywhere else I might have found out.
snow conditions
For heavens sake, anyone who is serious about the ski racing will have watched it on Eurosport hours earlier.
snow report
Bl@@dy hell! It's all kicking off!

Seems like there's 2 things to come out of this:

1) If you're posting anything about a result then try to remember to put spoiler alert in the title, or you might get a lot of unhappy people moaning at you.

2) If you're trying to avoid seeing the result of a ski race, probably best to avoid a forum on skiing/snowboarding for a couple of hours (as even seeing a thread with spoiler alert in title might reveal that something major happened, if not exactly what!!!)

Time to shake hands and draw a line under it all now?

snowHead
snow conditions
All true except Jasmine Taylor has has world cup podium places in telemarking for ages. So this result isn't the best result for GBR in skiing for years- only in that new fangled and dare I say effete sport of "alpine" skiing.
snow report
and I bet he didn't knit his own llama hat either..
snow conditions
ed123 wrote:
All true except Jasmine Taylor has has world cup podium places in telemarking for ages. So this result isn't the best result for GBR in skiing for years- only in that new fangled and dare I say effete sport of "alpine" skiing.

Are you allowed to say that if it hasn't been shown on Ski Sunday yet?
ski holidays
Very sad that such an amazing result had now descended into this. Ffs peeps, get Eurosport if you're into your ski racing. The app is only a few quid a month and works great with chromecast.
I was glued to the tv on the first run and had to go out in the afternoon. Watched the highlights live and stayed clear of snowheads in case there was any updates on the result.
Have to say a massive thumbs up to Dave Ryding - have been watching his results with increasing interest over the last couple of years and so glad he got a podium finish. He looked so nervous waiting for his second run and I've never been so tense watching a ski run (other than my kids racing ) Very Happy I was so impressed with his second run given all the pressure he must have been under. It was also good to see Hirscher win on home soil. All in all a great day for British skiing, crap day for British tennis.
latest report
@andyrew, the amount of hours I spend sat in front of Eurosport and the number of hours I spend watching youngsters training means I'm relatively serious (if not very knowledgeable - I leave that to Jnr). I watched the first run live, but the second wasn't on British Eurosport live (was on Eurosport player). I kept flicking between tennis and snooker while trying to find a dodgy online feed and pretending that my proxy was Austrian in order to watch ORF. I ended up watching the live timing on the FIS website and swearing whenever the ticker said "TV break".

@cameronphillips2000, don't take it personally. I like your posts, I've even recommended people seek out your knowledge of Risoul. My responses were also not meant to be pompous. It really is an Internet forum thing to put a spoiler warning in a thread title and not give things away in a thread title. It signposts those that want to discuss what is happening a place to go without giving things away.

On heavier policed forums (fora) this would have been whipped down pretty sharp-ish or moved to the relevant section.
ski holidays
But could you maybe spell his name correctly 😃
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy