Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Dave Rydiing equals best ever British result

Poster: A snowHead
Hope this hasn't been posted elsewhere but apparently he got 2nd at the Kitzbuehl slalom today which equalled Komrad Bartlelskis 2nd from the early 80s.
Pretty amazing really considering g we re a nation of crap skiers.
latest report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
The other thread had *result spoilers* in the title so those watching on ski sunday wouldn't know the result.

And now we know he equalled Bartelski we know where he came in.

I knew anyway because I watched it on Eurosport live but others had specifically requested in the other two threads to not know the result.
snow conditions
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
FFS! Sad
latest report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Its reasonable to expect people to flag a spoiler but also reasonable to expect people to stay offline for a few hours if it is that important to them....i did as i know it is too easy to catch sight of news
snow conditions
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
holidayloverxx wrote:
Its reasonable to expect people to flag a spoiler but also reasonable to expect people to stay offline for a few hours if it is that important to them....i did as i know it is too easy to catch sight of news

Yes but the same "The Piste" section of Snowheads had a thread second from the top that indicated Spoiler alert. Surely it is best to add to that than start a new thread.
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
@GlasgowCyclops, don't disagree....but people don't read before posting
latest report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
holidayloverxx wrote:
@GlasgowCyclops, don't disagree....but people don't read before posting

Yep And I'm as guilty as the next on that so fair enough. Happy
latest report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
It's hardly rocket surgery, just common decency. You don't blurt out results until they are universally televised, simples.
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
holidayloverxx wrote:
People can avoid using the web, social media, news outlets, etc. But as far as snowHeads is concerned, I think a far better solution is quite simply not put the result in the thread title, at least on the same day of the event. It's not necessary to put the result in the title, and it's a bit more respectful to fellow snowHeads to avoid such spoilers.
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
king key wrote:
It's hardly rocket surgery, just common decency. You don't blurt out results until they are universally televised, simples.

what utter rubbish. If you dont want to know the result of a ski race before a tv show, don't go on a skiing forum.
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
cameronphillips2000 wrote:
what utter rubbish.
Why? Please explain why it is necessary to put the result in in the thread title? Nobody here benefits from clickbait, so why post the result for all to see? It's a long standing convention on the forum that spoilers of that kind are not included in thread titles. Breaking that convention does show a lack of respect for other people on the forum, IMHO.
latest report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Ski Sunday devoting most of their time to the downhills Sad
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
rob@rar wrote:
what utter rubbish.
Why? Please explain why it is necessary to put the result in in the thread title? Nobody here benefits from clickbait, so why post the result for all to see? It's a long standing convention on the forum that spoilers of that kind are not included in thread titles. Breaking that convention does show a lack of respect for other people on the forum, IMHO.

maybe this convention needs to be explicitly stated somewhere. Even so, if I want to watch match of the day and enjoy the scores, I stay off sports pages and social media. Its not my position to tell others when and how they can post something.
Most will have likely seen it on Eurosport. How are posters to know what people may or may not of seen? If you don't want to know the result of something until a certain time, its up to you to shield yourself from it. I'm not even sure if the BBC are showing it. It was the downhill and a women's race when I was watching.
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
@cameronphillips2000, I'm not suggesting you can't discuss the result, simply don't put the result in the thread title. That way people can avoid the result but not have to avoid social media entirely. I follow F1 and on days when I can't watch the race live I do avoid news websites, but I feel safe in coming on the snowheads because I know the result won't be posted in a thread title. The result is usually posted in the F1 thread so if I want to comment or discuss the race I can do that without spoiling things for other people. Does it really doesn't need written instructions to avoid posting spoilers?
snow conditions
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Ski Sunday had already been spoilered by the BBC sport homepage/ BBC News app and the main evening news immediately before Ski Sunday so I'm not sure it's that big a deal. Don't have a lot of sympathy for Likely Lad type divas who still go on websites related to the sport while trying to keep themselves in the dark.

Not sure it needed a separate thread when the existing thread was only 2 or 3 from the top at the time though.
ski holidays
rob@rar wrote:
@cameronphillips2000, I'm not suggesting you can't discuss the result, simply don't put the result in the thread title. That way people can avoid the result but not have to avoid social media entirely. I follow F1 and on days when I can't watch the race live I do avoid news websites, but I feel safe in coming on the snowheads because I know the result won't be posted in a thread title. The result is usually posted in the F1 thread so if I want to comment or discuss the race I can do that without spoiling things for other people. Does it really doesn't need written instructions to avoid posting spoilers?

yes, it's a ski forum where we all get different Information at different times. We should discussions as it breaks, if we so wish without having to worry about whether somebody is waiting for repeat some time.
ski holidays
@cameronphillips2000, not all of us were able to watch Eurosport this afternoon. My parents only have council telly, and we were there for lunch. I knew the result of the first run, so was eager to see the second, and it would have been nicer if I hadn't known what the result was before I did. I didn't open this until afterwards, but it was farily obvious what it was.

Quote:

Does it really need written instructions to avoid posting spoilers?

It doesn't.
latest report
@cameronphillips2000, I disagree, I think most people will see it on Ski Sunday. Putting the result in a thread title is just thoughtless, unnecessary and annoying. It shouldn't need to be explicitly stated, it's just common sense.
latest report
^ this.
ski holidays
king key wrote:

what utter rubbish. If you dont want to know the result of a ski race before a tv show, don't go on a skiing forum.

Utter rubbish??

Not everyone has a Sky or Eurosport subscription, however almost everyone has access to the BBC. I trust you have heard of Ski Sunday and were knowledgeable that it is broadcast on Sunday evenings? So why the hell would you think it's a great idea to publish the results in the thread title before it's broadcast?
I'm on several sport forums, it's the same on all of them, it's poor etiquette to publish results in the title before it's been well broadcast. Talk about the results to your hearts content, just let people know it includes spoilers in the thread. It really is just a matter of manners and common sense.
ski holidays
So rather than talking about a great British performance we re debate g whether or not it should be in a title thread before ski Sunday.

Thoughtless and unnecessary? Get real. A great British ski performance and i put it on a ski forum.....

I don't want to ruin anyone's tv viewing but I'm not psychic or party to everyone's viewing schedule or if they're at Granny's for lunch so don't have Eurosport or whatever.

There is a great debate raging on the Millenials and their great sense of entitlement. If you don't want t to know a sports result, don't go on somewhere you may see it..
snow conditions
Technically speaking both the Dave Ryding spoiler threads should be in the SnowSports part of the forum anyway.

That said it's a luxury that British ski race fans haven't had to worry about too much!
latest report
If you don't want t to know a sports result, don't go on somewhere you may see it..
Or avoid putting results in the thread title! That way everyone is happy wink
latest report
rob@rar wrote:
If you don't want t to know a sports result, don't go on somewhere you may see it..
Or avoid putting results in the thread title! That way everyone is happy wink

Agreed. It's a relatively well known forum convention to not put a result in the thread title and also warn about spoilers.

Like... http://www.bikeradar.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=40002&t=13075043&sid=225bc0494721db4401063ae44eb9d6c3

Go on that forum during a Grand Tour and there's a new spoiler thread every day for each stage.
snow conditions
Hells Bells wrote:
My parents only have council telly

What is that??
ski holidays
essex wrote:
Hells Bells wrote:
My parents only have council telly

What is that??

TV you don't need to pay for.
latest report
@cameronphillips2000, there could be a reason that you seem to be in a minority on this one...
snow conditions
So rather than talking about a great British performance we re debate g whether or not it should be in a title thread before ski Sunday.

Thoughtless and unnecessary? Get real. A great British ski performance and i put it on a ski forum.....

I don't want to ruin anyone's tv viewing but I'm not psychic or party to everyone's viewing schedule or if they're at Granny's for lunch so don't have Eurosport or whatever.

There is a great debate raging on the Millenials and their great sense of entitlement. If you don't want t to know a sports result, don't go on somewhere you may see it..

Just so long as you're happy, and stuff everyone else then? Nice attitude. You are well in the minority on this and you could try to see other people's view too.
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Crikey, is it always like this or do you sometimes argue?

We watch council telly. We drink corporation pop and ride shank's pony too.
snow report
garbageman wrote:
Crikey, is it always like this or do you sometimes argue?

Not even warmed up newbie! Razz Laughing
ski holidays
Let's be honest...if you really cared so much about the result you would either have :

a) Gone to Kitzbuhel to watch the race
b) Watched it live on TV
c) Found an internet stream within about 30 seconds of opening your lap top.
d) Forced yourself to have a total media blackout until you watched the replay/ski sunday.
snow conditions
@mikeycharlton. When you watch a whodunnit film do you fastforward >> to the end to see who did it, then tell everyone, before watching it from the start? I guess probably not.
ski holidays
hammerite wrote:

Agreed. It's a relatively well known forum convention to not put a result in the thread title and also warn about spoilers.

Well I live and learn. tbh I've found it hard to avoid this news online today but I can see why a forum might have such a convention, even if unwritten. And I did enjoy the additional thrill of not knowing the results of the two races highlighted today on Ski Sunday.

Welcome to the forum @garbageman snowHead

@king keyn, there are some films that only merit watching the first 5 minutes and the last 5, though I take your point.
snow report
Thankyou.
snow conditions
motyl wrote:

@king keyn, there are some films that only merit watching the first 5 minutes and the last 5, though I take your point.
Titanic surprised me, who would have thought. Razz
ski holidays
king key wrote:
@mikeycharlton. When you watch a whodunnit film do you fastforward >> to the end to see who did it, then tell everyone, before watching it from the start? I guess probably not.

No, it would be pointless, because if they really cared about the film they would have watched it before me.
snow conditions
Actually, they probably would have read the book. Razz
ski holidays
If it's well known forum convention then obviously better that this is adhered too (that said, I've seen that applied to movies & tv shows but not to sport or news).

I often record F1 then watch later and aim to avoid anything that might give away the result. Better safe than sorry.

For such a big British ski story there was always a danger someone would post it, so why take the risk.

All that said, I know how gutting it is to find out the result when you're trying to avoid.

Even though I knew the result, I was more gutted to find Ski Sunday had dedicated all of about 2 mins to the race - I'd have been really gutted if I'd been waiting all day for it!!
latest report
You couldn't miss the result on Facebook from about 1545 and whilst I understand the spoiler issue I would have avoided this site if I was worried about finding out especially if I knew the result of the first run. I don't have a telly so have no idea when or if Ski Sunday is on and what they might be showing so may well have been guilty of revealing the result had I been online.
snow conditions
Imagine logging onto a football forum and expecting the day's results to not be discussed until after the conclusion of Match Of The Day later that evening.
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy