Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Wrist guards for skiing.

Poster: A snowHead
I know many boarders were wrist guards but does anybody wear them for skiing?

Do they interfere with the wrist movement used when pole planting?

Any recommendations for good brands?

Thanks, j
latest report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Don't think skiers tend to wear them as they're much less likely to take a fall that results in them putting their hands out.
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Richard_Sideways wrote:
Don't think skiers tend to wear them as they're much less likely to take a fall that results in them putting their hands out.

Broke my wrist in VT last April .....
latest report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Guards with splints on the inside of the wrist (e.g. Dakine) might make it difficult to hold your poles, maybe? I use Flexmeter guards that have the splint on the back (e.g. https://www.xtreme-outdoors.com/demon-ds-6456-flex-wrist-guard-769.html) - the fabric part is washable, which is a big bonus!
latest report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Ooh that sucks. Have a look at the Flexmeter ones then maybe. They are more about limiting the range of movement rather than hard plate in the palm that you tend to find in the cheaper end of the market.
latest report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
sequoiaboard wrote:

Ouch Sad You need to learn how to fall, I get better at it the more I fall. rolling eyes
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Lechbob wrote:
sequoiaboard wrote:

Ouch Sad You need to learn how to fall, I get better at it the more I fall. rolling eyes

Got worse with practice. Broke the ulna in other arm in June in a fall off a lorry rolling eyes
snow conditions
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
@sequoiaboard, Level do a glove with inbuilt wristies called the "Fly". I have an older pair from when I learnt to snowboard, good quality glove, comfortable easy to use. Their website has a video of how comfy they are for you ski-ists. Well worth a look.

(Ps. i had you down as being a sidewards chappie?)
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
sequoiaboard wrote:

sequoiaboard wrote:
Broke the ulna in other arm in June in a fall off a lorry

Based on that progression I think I'd be looking for a shoulder guard/neck brace! Smile
snow conditions
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
Very hard to hold a pole properly and get real functional use from it when you need to with most wrist guards. Better to know how to hold your straps/grips so they release in a fall?

Having said that I suspect I might have put a hairline crack in a scaphoid at Xmas from an overly aggressive pole plant judging by occasional twinges.
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
One of our younger Christmas guests managed to break both wrists by skiing in to a shed Shocked
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
@rogg, bought some of those biomex level ones (halfpipe?) and also single flexmeter ones for my son who's learning to snowboard. I ended up returning the level ones as I just couldn't figure out how they give protection. I really really wanted to keep them due to reviews but they just didn't seem to give any hold to hand position. I could bend my hand, and in turn the wrist, all over the place.
latest report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
@djf, i have a pair too, and yes you can move your hand, as you can in day to day life. As I understand it's about limiting motion and forces at the extremes of the range of motion, but I'm not and expert. There is a video on their website explaining how it works.

Levelgloves.com
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
I wear them boarding but not skiing. In boarding the (or rather one of the) common fall(s) is face first where you put your hands out to stop you, which puts a lot of force through the wrist. Wrist injuries boarding are therefore quite common. There's a debate about how much the wrist guards ameliorate that risk but for my money I think they do.

In skiing it's less common to fall violently on your front. In fact its probably less common to fall generally since your legs aren't tied together and you have the capacity to save yourself much better, but that's besides the point. When you fall skiing, you much more commonly land on your side/hip/backside, or just in a flailing heap of limbs hurtling down the hill. Wrist guards don't really help in those circumstances.

Also, as others have said, the wrist guards make holding the poles hard.
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
I could have benefited from something to protect my scaphoid, which still causes swelling and pain 2 years on.
snow report
I wear a splint on my left wrist (old injury, torn cartilage needs stabilising) nhs issue velcro fastening job with metal supports on inside, doesn't interfere with movement or pole use at all - time I wasn't wearing it fell onto my hand and managed a spiral fracture 4th metacarpal! Puzzled
snow report
As PP have said, boarding yes (I've already got a metal plate in my R wrist from a boarding accident so it's an absolute must for me) but skiing I find them cumbersome so don't bother, and I've never missed them...
latest report
Mjit wrote:
sequoiaboard wrote:

sequoiaboard wrote:
Broke the ulna in other arm in June in a fall off a lorry

Based on that progression I think I'd be looking for a shoulder guard/neck brace! Smile

Or head to toe bubblewrap Laughing
snow report
@sequoiaboard, I also have a dodgy wrist as it's taken a few falls - I wear one with a hard palm curved plate. It can be cumbersome in getting over my mits and under jacket sleeves etc but i actually don't notice it much when skiing tbh.

About to go away on the 28 Jan. I will be taking crash pants, wrist guards and elbow protectors. Falls on skis are rare even on ice, but falls in ski boots off skis are more common - DOH ! Too much protection does hinder movement though so i get lazy sometimes and then...ooch and DOH all over again.

If the snow is very soft where you're going then probably whilst skiing i wouldn't bother. I expect hardpack / ice in places so taking all precautions to minimise impacts.
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy