Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

learning in the uk

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
i'm kind of new here
just got back from the french pyrenees skiing with my family and , although i'm an old git, i thought i'd try snowboarding for the last couple of days. i can ski pretty well and as i also surf quite a lot i thought it would be a natural progression......OUCH......a couple of lessons later things started to improve, but i do wish i'd checked out this forum, re ass padding, wrist guards, knee pads etc.live and learn, eh? wink
any way i'm totally converted. gutted i didn't start boarding yars ago. my kids are 13 and 10 and ski well. the missus....well......
to get to the point
how and where can i and my kids learn to board in the somerset area? is dry sloping ok or should we travel to a snowdomey thing with real snow? where is the nearest one to us?
thanks for any replies
gutted for all that wasted time on skis
cheers
latest report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
sequoiaboard, No time on snow is wasted. I can't help you with slopes down your way but there are times when two planks can be as much fun as one Cool Welcome to schizophrenia.
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
There's a dry slope somewhere near Bristol in Somerset in a place called Churchill - not been myself but that might be near for you.
I had a lesson at the Gloucester dry slope - ok its nowhere near as good as snow - but its useful for a first lesson - teaches you to work out if you're goofy or regular, how bindings work, how to toe and heel edge and how to use a basic rope lift.
The Gloucester slope has a surface called snowflex - so it looks 'solid' which is better than surfaces called dendix - which have 'holes' in them and so your less likely to catch fingers in them when you fall over...

Snowdomes are better but theres only 3 in UK at the moment - Milton Keynes - (Which is crap at the moment because they've got technical problems), Tamworth and Castleford Yorkshire.
But if you're passing any of these areas - then it could be worth booking a lesson.
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
mountain mad, I've never ridden Snowflex, what it like? I've ridden the pock-marked stuff which was humbling to say the least.
latest report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
its ok for a beginner lesson - and I think its an improvement on dendix - but at the end of the day its a short run that gives you the idea of what to do but will never replace snow!
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
One of the other advantages of Snowflex is it works much better than Dendix when creating features like jumps, quarter pipe and bumps.
latest report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
just go straight back to the real snow again.. as soon as possible!!!
snow conditions
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
I can't quite tell if that's the view from my duvet or the local building site. Either way, not attactive riding stuff. Intereseting looking kicker though!
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
I've been to Churchill (near Weston-super-Mare) several times. It's small, and because there are trees all around the dendix it's covered in tree sap in places, which makes it "sticky" in places. I must admit I haven't been for a couple of years, but that's certainly how it used to be. Depending on where you are in Somerest it's going to be about a couple of hours to get to Tamworth. Failing that Gloucester ski slope is only just up the M5.
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
saxabar, I'm resisting the temptation to comment... for the moment.

sequoiaboard, your best bet is Tamworth... surely it's not that far if you do an early am trip?

Smile
latest report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
"...I'm living in a box, I'm living in a cardboard box. I'm living in a box..." Toofy Grin
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy