Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Transport Turin airport - Sauze

Poster: A snowHead
Hi, looking at transport options for a short break next week (3 days skiing) from Turin airport to Sauze. To maximise time on the slopes I'd either be taking a taxi or self-driving. Am on my own and not that confident at winter driving (but have driven a couple of times to Italian ski areas albeit in dry conditions). Anyone in the area at the moment and know what road conditions are like on the route? And parking options in Sauze? Hire car looks very cheap in comparison to taxi but I'm always wary about the extra insurances they want to sell you on pick up...

Thanks for any advice.
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Think you can get a train from Turin to Oulx and then a short taxi ride to Sauze. I may be wrong Confused
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
@halfhand, quick bus into Turin city first and you're spot on!
@VodkaSorbet, It takes about 3 hours to do the public transport route, but you see a bit of Italy on the way!
Private transfers anywhere between 200/300 euro.
Driving at the moment will be fine. (60-75 mins) Sauze is only 20 minutes off the autostrada and the snow line is nowhere near the roads yet! If you can make the car hire work for a solo trip, its defo the way to go. There are a number of car parks or apartments with covered areas etc... The properties aren't stacked on top of each other like some resorts, so I'd just be looking for accomodation with a car space.
latest report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
Thanks. I can get the train back but it's too long for the way there. I may look at the 1-way transfer.

Already have accommodation with no parking so would have to be in a public car park if I drove. Can't see any of those on maps on the web hence a bit unsure. Good to know about road conditions though.
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
@VodkaSorbet, as an annual visitor to Sauze have done all three methods of transfer. Train is painless but so is hire car - the drive is incredibly simple and obv a lot quicker so if feasible would recommend. Plenty of parking depending on which part of Sauze you are staying in (we usually stay down in Jouvencaux where there is a car park).
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
I missed my package plane to Turin a few of years ago and had to make my own way (eventually) to Sestriere from the airport.
Airport Bus, Train, Bus up the mountain. I think it was less than £30 in all and only took a couple of hours.
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
I'm contemplating a similar transfer, Turin airport to Sestriere. Some of the car hire companies are offering what seems to be cheap deals, e.g. less than 30-quid for 4-days hire! Seems too good to be true. Anyone had experience of GoldCar Rentals or SicilyByCar operating out of Turin airport?
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
@skidm, i haven't but having had truly awful experiences for many years over the last 18 months we have booked continually through "Enjoy" car hire https://www.enjoycarhire.com/en/About-Us and have actually had great service, painless every time. Would recommend.
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
@VodkaSorbet, Re: parking; when we went a couple of years ago we just parked the car on the street near the apartment. Our apartment was on Via Monfol and we parked on Viale Genevris near the roundabout junction with Via Monfol.
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
@skidm, I think Sicily by Car are one to avoid. I used whoever is linked from Ryanair website last time we hired at Turin. Car was hired through Budget.
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
GoldCar Rentals or SicilyByCar , Firefly are to be avoided, check Google
you will be pressurized to buy extra insurance , they will try to bill you for non existent scratches etc

If hiring car, take detailed photos of car, check it, return with tank full, pre buy your own insurance which covers the excess CDW doesn't cover etc
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
@dublin2, thanks, just as I suspected. I think some of companies mentioned also add to your credit card a charge for a full tank of fuel. It's at a very high rate and suggest you can return the car empty of fuel. What gets me is that some of the well known car hire brokers promote these dubious companies and claim you can 'hire with confidence'!
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Car hire is a nightmare in Italy and Spain, I think the business model, is attract people with a cheap lead in price, and then charge more for "extras" .

Having said that if you take detailed photos of car, check it, return with tank full, pre buy your own insurance which covers the excess CDW doesn't cover, stand your ground etc, you should be OK,
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
I concur on Goldcar......we use them in Malta and its hit and miss - the first time fine (though the vehicle should have been condemned); 2nd time a 4 hour wait at the airport for a car.......
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Hired a Corsa from Goldcar in Valencia for 13 days via DoYouSpain online at the end of June, cost me 54.60Euros. No problems or extras. Mind you if I had picked it up at the station as I wanted it would have been an extra 125.
ski holidays
Thanks for your replies, just thought I'd add I bit the cost bullet and booked a transfer on the way out so as to maximise my time on the slopes and not have to queue for a hire car and add that extra time to the journey. Did the bus-train-bus on the way back which worked out very smoothly and was only about 14 euros in total.

Re: Goldcar, I hired from them at Milan Malpensa last year and all was great (once I had firmly declined all the salesman's insurance proposals).
latest report
@VodkaSorbet, glad it worked out OK for you.
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy