Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

I Can't Ski Down There!!

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
Kramer lol - that is why I never join organised groups - I live in dread of being the idiot everyone is always waiting for!

Can you not just ski away very fast? Or leave them in the restaurant by accident? Or more kindly, find them some new friends that are at their level?

aj xx
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
ajhainey, and we both know someone who "doesn't do blacks" but had no trouble coming down Grande Pente recently don't we??? Just above the trees that slope is about 45 degrees!! Very Happy Very Happy
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
The key thing is knowing yourself - are you freezing because you're having a 'freak out' or are you freezing because you're attempting to ski something beyond your ability? I've had both & they are completely different. I'm glad to say that it's usually my own stupid fault if I'm skiing beyond my ability - not someone elses. I've actually completely frozen on a blue run before now.... My brain just suddenly told me that I didn't know how to ski. I'd stretched myself a bit over the previous couple of days & I should think that it had just all caught up with me! I was completely paralysed. Some people as well just don't have the confidence even if the ability there. I've watched perfectly competent skiers freeze & then fall down the slope rather than ski it before now.
latest report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
easiski, lol - yeah but that was based on a firsthand recommendation that I would be able to get down it (although I've not quite got over your version of 'a bit thin' - grass skiing was not in my original new year plans Very Happy ). TBH I think nowadays my fitness or boot issues would probably do me in before my nerve unless it's icy in which case I am a complete and utter wuss, I HATE ice! There again, I guess the point with freezing is it's unexpected so who can say - I 'froze' the first time I went climbing, just for a few seconds, I got up ok but for the life of me I couldn't lean on the rope to be lowered down, no technical skills needed I just couldn't do it - it was a horrible moment and I wouldn't wish an extended version of it on anyone!

aj xx
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Cajoleing in such circumstances is an artform. Easy to explain, hard to execute. And only to be applied in 2 circumstances by "lay people" - either because you know for a fact that the slope is within the struggling skier's ability but they're being unduley woosey, or it's far outside their ability but there's no other way out of the situation.

All other circumstances, it's not to be recomended unless you're an instructor. Revisiting difficult slopes, without being taught to cope with said slope, and all you're doing is reinforcing all the existing problems.

I agree with sazza42 that it's a case of knowing your own limits. And in my experience a LOT of struggling skiers refuse to acknowledge that their skill level is just not up to the itinerary. Ideally the group leader should politely point out to the strugglers that they're struggling. The option is then available for the leader to lead somewhere less difficult. Or to send the strugglers away towards a lesson.

If the leader doesn't have the professionalism to do this, then perhaps you should stick you nose in where it may not be wanted, and quietly suggest it to the struggler yourself. It's unfair to expect the rest of the group to have to hang around waiting. And give them the oportunity to keep struggling is just as unfair to the struggler. If I were struggling, then I'd rather call it a day and head off for a lesson knowing it will enable me to later enjoy a guided tour, rather than repeatedly inching my way slowly and painfully (or being cajoled!) down slopes when I don't have the ability to ski them comfortably.
latest report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy