Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Question re boots - having to tighten to max

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
I bought a pair of Strolz ski boots c. 2008 and have absolutely loved them. Custom fitted and have fitted perfectly since I bought them BUT are now starting to get a bit loose and find myself having to tighten them to the max to keep everything ticketyboo. Feeling a wee bit of heel lift too. I wondered if getting new custom foot beds would help, given that they too are around 10 years old too? Generally ski about 6-14 days a year plus several trips a month during winter to local dry slope/fridge.
Strolz boots are foam injected, so unsure about how long they should last before they get thinned down. Before I bought them I spoke to several folk on chair lifts etc who had them on and general feedback was 30+ days a year for 10 years or so and the boots were still going strong.
Any advice would be appreciated as I would ideally not need to get a new pair of boots.
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
My foam liners pack down in about 25 weeks of skiing and that seems to be about the norm, and for the last couple of weeks they are noticably thinner. I just get new liners made for them, it's not as expensive as buying new boots (€180 for race liners). Saying that though, boots have come a long way in the last ten years, lighter weights, carbon fibre spines, touring/walking modes etc
latest report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
@boabski, stick a another pair of generic footbeds in there underneath your custom ones - that'll do it.
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
Thanks folks. Will go to my local boot fitter and hopefully she can help. Out in st Anton in march for few days so could have strolz have a look if really necessary.
snow conditions
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Zipfits?
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
I had 2 Strolz liners and both were noticeably packed out after ~80 ski days. I guess it probably depends on how big/strong you are, ie how hard you flex the boots.

If money was not the issue, I would not bother with new liners for 8 year-old shells. As @Scarpa pointed out, technology has moved on.
snow conditions
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
ulmerhutte wrote:
If money was not the issue, I would not bother with new liners for 8 year-old shells.
Zipfit liners would give you good hold on your foot, and can be moved and remoulded to a new pair of shells when you 8-year old Strolz are worn out. Adding extra height underneath the baseboard won't do as a good job in terms foot hold as a new pair of liners.
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Quote:

Zipfit liners

Or Intuitions if you want to spend a bit less.
latest report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
@rob@rar, Yeah, I think that might cause a bit of pressure across the top of the bridge and potentially lead to numbness. As a cheap option maybe get a fitter to glue a shaped piece of foam around the ankle area of the liner. I had this done to my touring boot liners due to having a narrow heel.
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
@Scarpa, yes, that would be a better option. Ankle hold is what you really want, not lifting the entire foot inside the shell.
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
No dispute on the Zipfits. Sold on them, but still not sure I would put them into 8 year old shells.
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
@ulmerhutte, yeah, I'd agree with that. But they last forever and can easily be moved from shell to shell - provided you get the right size to start with. Other than the cost, I don't really see any downsides to it.
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy