Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Dynafit Beast 16 ISSUES

Poster: A snowHead
Hi,

I am having issues with the bindings while touring. These are my first pair of touring bindings, prior I used Jester Pro's for downhill charging. I went for these over the speed turns.

I bought these as I wanted to start skinning/touring after trying a friends set up and enjoying reaching the terrain.

While skinning, the bindings/toe pins keep popping off. There seems to be play in the toe when I am clicked on to just trough mode with a heel block down.

Anyone had this issue or know why it's happening? The boot pin holes are not iced up. Any slight rotation of the toe (a kick turn for example) and my ski comes off. Are the bindings set up wrong? Am I not using them correctly? Any ideas or help here much appreciated.

Cheers.
latest report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
You need to lock the toes for touring! Normally there is a lever to pull up at the front of the toe piece, not sure if it's the same for the Beast. Make sure you UNLOCK them before riding down too!!
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
I've been doing this, the black toe goes down on the ski for touring and back up for downhill.
The bindings are still coming off while touring.

Unless you mean something else by "lock"?
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
@CRobert1, Which boots are you using, and do you have the green or gold Beast 16's? If the gold ones, do they have the additional lock leaver on the top?

As a test put the ski on a flat surface, lock down the first heel riser. Click in the toe and lock down the toe leaver (and the additional lock leaver if present). Then rotate the boot up to 90 degrees and push forward. If everything is fully 'locked', you should be able to push really quiet hard without release. If however, they easily pop out, there is definitely an issue, either with the boot or the binding/installation.
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
@CRobert1, Found the link for the original green beast incompatibility issue:

http://www.earnyourturns.com/25509/some-boots-incompatible-with-dynafit-beast/
latest report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
I have got the gold beast bindings.

Boot: Lange XT130 FREETOUR LV

I am out at the moment and will do the test later. Thanks a lot.

There is a small silver part that pops up/down when I click in/out but I have never used this for anything? (Toe Box Adjust). Is this relevant or?
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
That is the 'new' lever, that should be pushed flat. It ensures that the toe is fully in the tour mode.

Last edited by Then you can post your own questions or snow reports... on Wed 18-01-17 22:31; edited 1 time in total
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Ok.

I will give this a try when I get back and get back to you.

Thank you very much for the help, been great and appreciate it.

Cheers
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
I should add, that the Toe Box Adjust leaver should be pushed flat (flush), even when in downhill mode. This leaver was added to try and ensure that the toe is properly set, because it needs to take into account insert wear, and non-Dynafit inserts.
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
I have a new pair of Beasts, not used on snow yet. I've tried them in the house so I don't appear to be a complete muppet first time out. There's no doubt they will release with both the toe box and lock lever in the correct position. I'm assuming it's because my boots (Salomon) are not Dynafit compatible as it's contact between the boot toe and the binding that causes the release.

The boot does need to rotate to 90 degrees to come into contact with the binding, but given my lack of touring experience I can't rule this out. Question for me is whether I need leashes or the fact the skins will be on will save the ski?
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
@Val Desire, I would go with leashes in that situation. On hard packed snow if the slope is steep enough the ski might just keep rolling down the slope. If it lands flat skin side down it should stick, but I would want to risk my day on it. Obviously in deep or soft snow the ski is unlikely to go anywhere. The B&D leashes are highly recommended.
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
@CRobert1, check that the edges of the rubber sole on the toe lugs aren't rubbing on the toe wings as that will still the toe wings from full engaging. Click your empty boot in to the toe, put the lever forward in to tour mode (no need to fully lock it down) & then rotate the boot fully forward & check for clearance all around the boot - you'll need a good light source to do this properly. Any areas that are rubbing need grinding/trimming off a bit until they clear. 90% of all boots need this doing to a greater or lesser extent, even some of the Dynafit boot models.

And whilst you're at it check that, when in tour mode with the first riser down, that the underside of the boot heel is sitting on the riser and not resting/catching on the heel binding pins. As the heel pins are so big in diameter (ie bomber!) it's common to have to 'funnel' the rubber boot sole around the lead-in area to the slots to ensure clearance etc.
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Hi,

When I lock my boots in a cannot get the small silver/red toe box lever flush. It sticks out.

Is it supposed to be flush for sure?
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
It's almost like the boot is wrong for the binding.

There is no running from the boot on the front or back.

When the pins go into the boot and the binding locks, it's almost like the pins need to go in another 2/3MM each side of the boot in order for the to piece to be completely locked. This would in turn, make the silver leaver 'toe box adjust' leaver go down. What exactly does the toe box adjust leaver do?
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
It is a little difficult to describe.

When the toe is open you will be able to see two arms, one either side, that link the central 'piston/spring' to the side arms which hold the pins. When open these form an arrow pointing forwards. When you insert the toe and the pins engage, the same arms will almost be line across the ski. When the toe box adjust lever is fully flush, the two arms form an arrow point very slightly backwards. At least they do with my boots/bindings. I should add, it takes very firm push to get the lever flush.

I guess the function is to ensure that the spring and geometry of the various arms/pivots are set to release in the optimal fashion.

Last edited by Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name: on Wed 18-01-17 21:30; edited 1 time in total
snow conditions
@CRobert1, Since I am packing my gear to go skiing on Saturday, I've taken a couple of pictures to show the subtle difference in these arms caused by getting the toe box lever flush. The first is with the boot inserted, with the lever up, and second with it flush. You can see the difference in the angle of the arms. I guess if you cannot achieve this with your boots, then the toe tech inserts are too far apart for the adjustment to make up the difference. Do you know anyone else with tech boots, so you could try theirs and see if they lock down?

Last edited by Poster: A snowHead on Wed 18-01-17 22:27; edited 2 times in total
latest report

Toe Box Adjust Open
snow report

Toe Box Adjust Closed
snow report
Powderadict, you've solved my problem.

It took a pretty hard push to get the toe adjust leaver flush, but this fixed it. Something so simple!!!
The boots now sit very firmly in the binding, like they should, in tour mode. They no longer ore release with slighr twisting/pressure.

Again, thank you very much for the help. Much appreciated.
snow conditions
@CRobert1, Result, happy to help Cool
snow conditions
@CRobert1, glad you got sorted - although the toe adjust is fully detailed in the instructions that come with the bindings rolling eyes Toofy Grin

Make sure check for rubbing as I detailed above. I've only fitted your model of boot to Beast 14's but they did need fettling. And if they're tight at the toe that can make the toe adjust harder to close. In a perfect world when you click in the toe binding the toe adjust closes down flush straightaway.
latest report
Apparently Dynafit have dropped the Beast from its offerings next year.
Heard anything SpyderJon?
latest report
Swedish Italian based guide I've been with the past couple of days said the same - he was not at all complementary about Beasts and was not surprised Dynafit have pulled them from their range - though I suppose there is a market for them Toofy Grin
latest report
Quote:

Apparently Dynafit have dropped the Beast from its offerings next year.

Didn't Jon post something saying they were stopping the 16 and only continuing with the 14?
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy