Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Riding flat

Poster: A snowHead
Hi guys after a little bit of advice I consider myself to be a fairly good snowboarder but i worry when riding long, straight blues regardless of gradient, when getting to speed where should my weight be? I am totally paranoid of catching the front of the board and face planting which as some of you know can be very painful at 40mph plus. Any tips please. Very Happy
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
@andybabes, When you say the front of the board do you mean the nose or the toe edge?
latest report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
The key is to always be on a very slight edge. Weight should be on both feet, over the centre of your board, and just constantly rock onto your edges giving no effort. If you have to much weight on your front foot the back will slide around and cause you to catch an edge, to much weight on the back foot and it'll slow you down (and you won't make it over that flat bit that's coming up). Keep your knees bent to absorb any bumps and stay loose!
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
Echoed. Stay centred over the board, stay loose, head up looking far forward and keep your shoulders in line with the board,
latest report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
I have tried the rocking but still paranoid about edge, never known what part of the board has actually caught to make me fall so not sure of front nose or front side edge. I have a all mountain board.
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
@andybabes, For me the key is to make sure that the board is actually travelling in the direction that it is pointing. If it is the edge change will be successful.

However if the boarding is actually skidding to any extent when you are on your heel edge say then an edge change will lead to a face plant.
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
@andybabes, ok, just to check whats happening, sounds like you have history catching edges while going along straightish, and probably flattish bits - cat tracks, that kind of stuff?
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Let me emphasis the "very slight edge" bit of my previous post. Your weight should always be on your heels or toes but not the ball of your feet. By that I don't mean applying pressure it's just where your weight is, applying pressure will cause the board to dig in the edge and turn (that's not what you want to do, you just want to go straight).

Another way of looking at it is you should always be doing something. When driving a car your doing minute touches to the steering wheel, likewise when going straight on a board you still need small adjustments.

If you find yourself doing nothing throw in a little ollie, it'll force you to do something and take control of the board.

And finally I'll reiterated keep your knees bent, it helps with those light edge changes.
snow conditions
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Might sound like silly advice here but what i'd say to do is stop thinking about it let the whole thing flow along and if need be take go back anf fore from edge to edge but i find that kills my speed.

I enjoy the 7th Heaven Express Way in Whistler gives me a nice wee rest haha.
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
Looking at the OP, you're not likely to catch the *front* (nose) of the board, but learners can catch edges. I'm not sure why, but your weight should be centred on your (generally centred) stance, so not forward and not back. If you have a good relaxed stance then you'll not catch anything.

The tactics mentioned regarding putting in small edge checks is not a bad idea, as if you're sticking your heel side edge in then the board's in control and you're not going to fall over it or the other edge, plus you can control your speed that way. A novice will crank their back foot around and sideslip, then straight run alternately, which is a bad approach and does risk bad things happening with your edge as you switch around. Small edge checks whilst running/ traversing are also a good drill for carved turns.
snow conditions
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
More weigh on my front foot to keep that leading the way but that foot flat.

Then tiny bits of heel or toe pressure with the back foot. This twists the board to keep an edge held but because the front is flat, this creates the least resistance... so gives the fastest speed along the flat.
latest report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
When you get very experienced you can ride flat just as easily as cycling no-handed.

There's no need to worry about always pressuring one or other edge.

The thing is, you've got 'muscle memory' or subconscious proprioception/haptic feedback to such an extent that your body takes care of everything for you. You no longer have to think about it. You just relax with the board apparently flat, and should there ever arise the slightest perturbation, it'll be dealt with autonomously. And that lasts until you decide to deliberately veer or turn one way or the other.

snowHead
latest report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
crosbie wrote:
When you get very experienced you can ride flat just as easily as cycling no-handed.

There's no need to worry about always pressuring one or other edge.

snowHead

i'd agree with this. I've seen a number of people say over time that you should always be on an edge, and while you "can" always be on an edge, if your ever looking for maximum speed then you need to be on a perfectly flat base. That however takes practice
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
eddiethebus wrote:
...if your ever looking for maximum speed then you need to be on a perfectly flat base. That however takes practice

In theory 100% true and yes to build up speed you can use the flat base. What is equally true though, is that you can use an edge without loosing speed. Many however put to much effort in an edge and consequently loose grip and end up checking speed.

The OP asked for tips to avoid catching an edge once at speed, the answer he'll get from most experienced riders is to always be on an edge.
latest report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
manicpb wrote:
eddiethebus wrote:
...if your ever looking for maximum speed then you need to be on a perfectly flat base. That however takes practice

In theory 100% true and yes to build up speed you can use the flat base. What is equally true though, is that you can use an edge without loosing speed. Many however put to much effort in an edge and consequently loose grip and end up checking speed.

The OP asked for tips to avoid catching an edge once at speed, the answer he'll get from most experienced riders is to always be on an edge.

Its one thing you can do yes. I'd also add that its worth while paying attention to where you shoulders are. They should be sideways.

most toe edge crashes I've seen come from people riding with their shoulders turned and one arm around there imaginary girlfriend. When you do that the chances are you're very slightly flexing the board in a peddling fashion and raising the toe edge under the front foot. A lot of the time that doesn't end well Skullie
latest report
As others have said, it's practice really to get to a stage where you're comfortable with it..... there is no right answer IMO, but if you're tensed up and trying to hold an edge the whole way you're going to be horribly fatigued after a while and the chances of catching an edge are only going to increase.

Relax, try and keep the flow, edge when you need to but don't fixate on holding that edge, don't over-think it.
snow report
Re. flat base vs always on an edge, not going to get involved in which is best, but there is one simple consideration:

If you are travelling directly down the fall-line, then you can ride with a completely flat base.

If you're not, then you can't.

A lot of cat-track type pistes have a small amount of camber, meaning that the fall-line doesn't run directly along the piste, so you have to use a little edge.
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy