Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Help needed, please

Poster: A snowHead
It's been bugging me since our return from Serfaus Fiss Ladis at half term, but I need to get it off my chest and ask for some SH advice.

As a parent and in my case father there are many things you can accept about your children, but how do you accept something about your son that you would rather not.

Mrs KK and I have long suspected that our eldest may have this trait, but at 15 rising 16 its is really starting to show. It concerns me and I do not know how to approach or deal with it, other than being disappointed and wound up.

Yes, my 15 year old is a FAFFER Crying or Very sad

If you have skied with a faffer you will know that it can become contagious. He fiddles and faffs, my younger son starts and then you want to check bindings, have I got my phone, wallet etc etc. You have a stiff word with yourself...Stop you know you've got everything, but at the next opportunity to faff, he will start again and you forcibly have to prevent yourself and others from joining in. Toofy Grin

HELP... Are their any support groups or organisations that we can join?
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
I suspect faffing is typically the result of a lack of preparation which, to be fair, probably describes pretty much all teenagers.

My only advice would be to never, ever, say the words "Right, has everybody got everything?" All it ever does is raise the fear of having forgotten something and ingrain the habit of checking everything twice.
snow conditions
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
I blame the parents! Very Happy
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
@knackered knees, I'll set up a support group with you. My elder daughter takes an age to get ready. Mind, once she's ready, you won't stop her..... Next year, I think I'll set off skiing half an hour before she's ready
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Give it a few months and you can just release him into the wild.
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Am impressed its taken this long for it to show up. Dont think there is a known cure once infected though.
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Being serious it could be nerves/lack of confidence. Have a closer 'look' next time at his body language/attitude Cool
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
We sent ours to the local rugby club to get this trait sorted.
Unfortunately he did his ACL and hasn't boarded since last March.
Still he's not faffing around with his headphones or checking his MySpace on his cellphone at the top of every lift Smile
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
@dobby, Like the idea of setting off earlier, mind you me getting effed off with waiting and setting off led to a major strop Smile
@adithorp, He's just announced that he wants to go to medical school so no chance of that for a few years Sad
@ster, It's being showing for years, but really became apparent this year, or I'm getting more impatient (grumpy in his words)
@martinm, No lack of confidence, he does it everywhere. Trying to get out of house on time for anything is a trial.
@WindOfChange, He manages to faff with getting ready for rugby so no help there
@marcellus, So do I, oh err umm, on second thoughts there must be an outside influence Very Happy
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
What goes around comes around!! Still I'll bet you've never got to the lift in the morning and then he announces he's forgotten his lift pass.
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Buy him a snowboard - sorted Toofy Grin
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
I am a Faffer....I "came out" 23 years ago in Faffers' Anonymous.

Skiing in particular feeds into a Faffer's neurosis....with four things in particular standing out.

1. Too many pockets
Finding the thing you're looking for (lip stuff/suncream/map/glasses wipe/money/phone/handkerchief/painkillers/anti-fog spray/insurance receipt/spare lens) is like a game of Pelmanism.

2. Front Entry boots
Rear entry boots without a velcro strap were quick to adjust. Front entry boots are not, especially as it involves unzipping trouser leg/opening snow gaiter and lots of micro adjusting.

3. Powder Ribbons
A Faffer's paradise.

4. Small children
Everything is multiplied up, by the number of children. They are too young to faff, so you faff on their behalf. Faffing can be described as "Spending your time doing a lot of unimportant things instead of the thing you should be doing"....if it hadn't been for Lady F, we'd have done no skiing at all, as it would have been time for lunch before I'd finished faffing!

As for a solution....I live in hope. rolling eyes

Last edited by And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports. on Fri 3-03-17 10:39; edited 2 times in total
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Mine is 24. I have my second week with him in Val at Easter. Despite 3 seasons he is still afflicted. So much so he has named himself captain faff. Usually electronics , chargers etc. There is no escape. Even his gf couldn't cure him.
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
@Old Fartbag, Ahh the boots. Every bloody stop he has to fiddle, but this involves taking off goggles, gloves, unvelcroing sleeves, etc, the micro adjusting of clips and the reversing the process.

Perhaps you can help advise @dobby, and myself as we are looking for support Very Happy
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Old Fartbag wrote:

4. Small children
Everything is multiplied up, by the number of children.

Surely to the power of the number of children ? Toofy Grin
snow report
@endoman, I believe the root of all modern day faffing is related to the gadgetry and apps available to the faffer
snow conditions
knackered knees wrote:
@Old Fartbag

Perhaps you can help advise @dobby, and myself as we are looking for support Very Happy

The problem with FA (Faffers Anonymous), is that it's next to useless, as the meeting never actually gets started! Toofy Grin
ski holidays
I suspect it is a teenager thing?! My teenage son faffs about all the time but he doesn't faff about when we go skiing as he is always desperate to start as early as possible. However, he will faff about after skiing. He definitely faffs about every morning before school!
snow report
Boot faffing is a noble art.
ski holidays
knackered knees wrote:
@endoman, I believe the root of all modern day faffing is related to the gadgetry and apps available to the faffer

Thank goodness I don't understand gadgetry, as if I had to add all that "New School" faffing, to my "Old School" faffing, I don't know where I'd be at. Puzzled
snow report
@knackered knees, ...our research in my unit shows that the 'faffing propensity' is located in an obscure zone of DNA which we have called the FAFF gene (Farting About for F***ing Forever). This has a latency until around the age of 12. If not addressed with gene and cognitive therapy it can become entrenched, and make the subject prone to the 'obsessed with equipment' virus - which is systemically insidious and severely compromises the subject's ability to get on with skiing. Gene therapy consists of whacking the helmet of the faffing adolescent with a ski glove and shouting loudly '...TIME TO GET ON WITH SOME SKIING YOU BLITHERING IDIOT...' or providing cognitive therapy by skiing off and habituating the subject with fast exits. An additional therapy being piloted in the Valais region is to state clearly on entering a gondola 'FFS get your faffing done in the lift or I will disown you... or worse, confiscate the ipad...'. There is an ethical and medical submission to the appropriate regulatory body for removal of the FAFF gene in human embryos. This is likely to succeed since four of the assessing panel have skiing adolescents in the family.
snow report
In my experience (of my friends) - once a Faffer always a Faffer. It does not improve with age, indeed gets worse.
So..get him married off as quickly as possible and he then becomes the OH's problem Twisted Evil
snow report
@Old Fartbag, that's 'Old Skool' faffing you Old Skooler.
snow report
valais2 wrote:
@Old Fartbag, that's 'Old Skool' faffing you Old Skooler.

Putting the Kool into Skool....that's me all right. rolling eyes
latest report
Scarpa wrote:
No it's not, it's a bloody nuisance! I never used to have to faff with my (current) boots, but am now finding that I have to tighten them at least once during the day and the need to do so may arise on the mountain, rather than somewhere convenient like a restaurant. I hate the faff involved, and the fact that it holds my ski companions up, so quite often I don't bother, leading to some interesting turns by my feet but not my skis. rolling eyes

The cure to all other faffing is to instil in the patient the habit of collecting together everything needed to go skiing the night before, and putting it in a designated place in the room. If I actually had to think about what I was taking out every morning, I'd never leave the hotel/chalet; as it is, I just pick everything up on autopilot. Little Angel
snow report
@Hurtle, now that's interesting...

2001 X-Waves - zero faffing. On in the morning. Ski. Take off in the twilight at the end of the day. Done.
2015 Atomic Hawks - crank up in the morning, Crank at 11, 12, 13:30, 14:00, 15:45, 16:50. Irritating.
snow conditions
Hurtle wrote:
Scarpa wrote:

The cure to all other faffing is to instil in the patient the habit of collecting together everything needed to go skiing the night before, and putting it in a designated place in the room. If I actually had to think about what I was taking out every morning, I'd never leave the hotel/chalet; as it is, I just pick everything up on autopilot. Little Angel

Unfortunately this would not end the days staffing. All it would do is give additional raff time on the mountain.

Over the years we have tried many attempts at therapy and the patient has been left behind (at home)on occasion Twisted Evil

@valais2 I would be happy to donate my faffer for further research at your unit. You can subject him to whatever tests you feel appropriate and can keep him until a cure is found Smile [/b]
ski holidays
Quote:

Buy him a snowboard - sorted

Ha, that involves enforced faffing at the top of every lift (something I am very guilty of myself)!
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Scarpa wrote:

I concur.

Other types of faff are less acceptable though, phone faff in particular is inexcusable.
ski holidays
I never used to have a problem but now I have to confess I really need to join Faffers anonymous.
Up untill now it was a quick get up clothes on boots and skis on lets ski, cant be bothered with all this faffing and lets not waste any more bloody time.

This year Oh dear, I bought a Mojo, Firstly there is the the pre holiday faff of how the hell does it work.
Then every morning there is the bondage gear faff , I never had a problem with a few leather G strings and a couple of suitable whips but getting into a mojo is definitely a faff, the articulating joint always appears the wrong way round.
Next there is the mojo boot faff when you try to get the sticks to couple with the boots when divorce is on their minds and you rapidly suspect on your wifes as well as she watches the mojo boot faff.
Lastly there is post ski lift stretch as you try and get the bloody things to engage again and they don't want to spring into place and your party things you have suddenly taken up a weird form of martial art.

I am now a confirmed faffer.
Embarassed Embarassed Embarassed Embarassed Embarassed Embarassed Embarassed

Still they meant my knees suffered slightly less than I suspect they would have done without.
snow report
One of my regular ski companions is a confirmed faffer. On a UCPA trip a couple of years ago one of the Swedes in our group was even worse - the other Swedes thought 'Faffing' was just about the best word they'd ever heard!
snow conditions
@T Bar,

Sounds like The Mojo should be at the top of my faffing chart!

Last edited by Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person on Fri 3-03-17 10:40; edited 1 time in total
snow report
That's why I'm putting off the evil moment of getting a Mojo! Skullie
snow report
@Hurtle,
Definitely a faff but they do help I have to confess.
snow report
@T Bar, I know. I'll almost certainly have to succumb in the end.
ski holidays
martinm wrote:
Old Fartbag wrote:

4. Small children
Everything is multiplied up, by the number of children.

Surely to the power of the number of children ? Toofy Grin

Easily exponential.
latest report
boabski wrote:
Buy him a snowboard - sorted Toofy Grin

I thought we were looking for a solution to the problem, not how to make it ten times worse?
latest report
Rumour has it that snowHead Scarpa is a master at faffing - perhaps Kooky can verify? Toofy Grin
snow conditions
Alastair Pink wrote:
Rumour has it that snowHead Scarpa is a master at faffing - perhaps Kooky can verify? Toofy Grin

A "Master Faffer" in our midst Shocked ....I'm in awe......I wonder whether an autograph would be out of the question? Puzzled
ski holidays
Although, with using a Libre scanner for blood glucose readings I no longer have to Faff doing blood tests. In fact, lately even my BFQ (Boot Faff Quotient) has been dropping although a new pair of off piste boots has rectified that situation.

I skied with a guy the other year who must be the legendary King of the Faffers. He managed a full 10 minutes adjusting his gloves and liners on a guided off piste day Shocked
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy