Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

1st family ski holiday in March

Poster: A snowHead
@rm1982, The highest piste in Val Cenis starts at 2800m and the resort is all north facing so you would usually expect good snow there mid March. On the lowest slopes you might encounter a bit of slush in the afternoons but it will not be a problem for your kids at all. Mine didn't even notice it. We also went right at the end of March when conditions were very mild. It should be a good bet for the week you are thinking of. Of the villages that make up Val cenis Lanslevillard is probably in the best situation. you could also look at Termignon which will be cheaper but is not so well situated for the main part of the ski area.

We shopped at intermarche in Modane. however there is probably a discount supermarket in Chambery if you stop there on your way through.
snow conditions
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
I'm assuming you have never skied but your husband has? If that's the case I doubt you will be doing that much skiing together
When I took the family away for our first ski trip I hadn't skied for 17 years so I booked myself into the same beginner class as my wife. Mistake. I was off by myself after the first hour and felt like I'd never been away

Same goes with meeting the kids and skiing with them in the afternoon. After dumping the lesson I would meet the kids for lunch then go off on my own again whilst they went back to lessons and my wife was with her class

As you are all, apart from hubby, beginners, you will all be at different levels and kids do not want to ski what you do. There's a reason they split classes into kids and adults

Skiing is a great family holiday just don't expect to be spending family time together during the day as beginners

We went to Maria Alm in Hochkonig/ Ski Amade and have been back every year for the last 10 since, and are going again next month so you can tell Austria would get my vote, but understand it may not work for you with the drive and the little one

Two pieces of advice I would give though

1) Orientation. Find the closest rental shop to where you are staying beforehand if possible and pick up equipment the day before you start. Also visit the area where you will meet the ski school the day before
Do NOT take the family to the ski shop in the middle of town on the morning of first lessons when there is a perfectly good shop opposite your hotel, then carry 4xskis( mine,wife's and 2 x kids who are holding mummy's hands as they are 4 and 5) and 4 pairs of shoes/boots ( you have to wear something to get there). Then go the long way round to the meeting point still carrying said skis as you didn't know there was a short short short cut behind the hotel.

2) This is for your husband as the experienced skier. Never, ever, under any circumstance offer your spouse any tips or advice. Ever. Even if your skis are on backwards do not be tempted to suggest you should try to change.To suggest you might try something different with regards technique is akin to signing your own death warrant. Use a complete stranger. If they are experienced skiers they will understand. Evidently skiing had not been invented when Congreve penned his lines but I can assure him that a woman scorned is a walk in the park by comparison

Last edited by Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person on Thu 19-01-17 14:44; edited 1 time in total
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
rm1982 wrote:
They can handle lack of sleep really well if I look back to last year driving to south of France they where to excited the whole 3 weeks how they kept going I don't know!. They also aren't ones to have a lie in the morning Sad their all roughly awake 7.30-8 at the latest it's just that it takes us so long to get everyone ready and get out the door lol.

So with your children who are the same age as my oldest girls, do you do ski school all day when you first started going, or did you just stick to half days etc.

The plan is to go skiing to Canada/USA in December so this will be a good taster for us.

Up to you Smile just remember that it's lack of sleep after a day of strenous activity in the fresh air, and rarely-used muscles can start to protest! Just don't be afraid/ashamed to call an early night.
Can't remember 3 yrs back, I have a feeling that we took the lessons offered, I think that was morning only.

Do be aware that Canada in particular can hit -25C Dec/Jan, which I can handle but an 8 yr old might not. I have already personally noted that Easter 2018 is early (mid-March) Twisted Evil
snow conditions
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Take a look at sunweb.co.uk all holidays include the lift pass
latest report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
You might check out Arc 1950 or Arc 2000. They used to do family ski pass packs and hopefully still do (we also have four kids), there is lots of self-catering accommodation, easy slopes/nursery slopes are very accessible, it's high enough for early April skiing and it's a straight forward drive with under ground parking. The pedestrianised town in 1950 is magical for young kids and you can ski back to the door. Check out Pierre et Vacances.
snow conditions
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Quote:
So you think do the ski school and just see what they think of us all that makes sense and if we get moved to anything better that's a bonus

It's really simple. You should be learning stuff and it should be fun. If you are not enjoying it or not progressing, speak to the instructor. It's useful to get recs on here for schools and/or instructors so it's not just hit and hope.

Quote:

I get the feeling that i need to pick the area and find a ski school and the accommodation of need be will have to be a bit away from the resort.

Getting decent instruction is goint to be critical to the weeks success. So yes area, ski school then accommodation. By the way doing half a day instruction mornings only is definitely the way to go IMO.

Quote:

We wanted somewhere that we was in the resort that at night we could take a walk into town grab some food and do some activities if we wanted - no doubt we will all be in bed by 7 lol but with Austria everything seems very spred out???.

We've skied with our two children for 7 years (they are now 11 and 9). Routine pretty much the same. Ski all day. Back to the apartment - tea/biscuits/cake/beer. Kids sometimes stay out for a while or sometimes go back out to sledge/play. We shower and cook dinner. Kids shower, we all sit down to dinner. Pack up up, wash up. Play a few card games. Wine/beer/cheese/snacks. Kids hit the shack between 10 and 11. Adults follow half an hour later. Occasionally we head out for a short walk and very occasionally we get a pizza takeaway or eat out. But I really wouldn't give a lot of thought to evening activities. The chances are you won't do much. We've been swimming occasionally but it's not something I would go out of my way for.

Quote:
The whole point of a skiing family holiday for us is to have lessons in the morning and spend time together skiing in the afternoon, but I don't think we will be confident enough to take the kids out - I'm not sure how it works or what other families do tbh.

It's not difficult skiing with the kids, especially the age that yours are. In fact it's great fun. First couple of days just repeat the stuff you did in ski school. After a couple of days you will have more confidence and know your way around so it will be fine.

Quote:
It's just doesn't seem simple and straight forward with having such a big family and wanting to keep price low.

It's not but then again all the stuff you are figuring out now will stand you in good order for future trips - so worth it in the long run.

Last edited by You'll need to Register first of course. on Tue 24-01-17 0:36; edited 1 time in total
snow conditions
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
ESF is a franchise operation so the service will vary from resort to resort.

An alternative in Val Cenis is http://www.esi-valcenis.com/?lang=en

No idea if they would be recommended but often the non-ESF schools are a good alternative.

Some feedback on ESF in this thread http://snowheads.com/ski-forum/viewtopic.php?t=104731
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
I bang on about it on this forum a bit, but the Gastein valley (Ski Amade - Bad Hofgastein, Bad Gastein and Dorf Gastein) is fantastic for a relatively inexpensive ski holiday. For accommodation / apartments check out:

http://www.gastein.com/en/accommodation/suchen_buchen_dar_list_rd-t_s?nodate=1
latest report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Risoul £1,254 for the six of you, including lift passes, 150m from ski lifts. Probably not worth the lift passes for complete beginners at that age, but anyway, here it is. Lift passes €197 for adults, €158 aged 5-12. So the accommodation is cheap.

http://ski.sunweb.co.uk/france/la_foret_blanche/risoul/residence_deneb.htm?view=prices&transporttype=EV&month=201703&day=25&vaclength=8#/prices

Cheapest childcare is to take doting grandmother...
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
@johnE, Think it was a few years ago - we went a few consecutive years with First Choice/Crystal/Thomson & lots of Brits there - Now however they only appear to be offering hols in Vars! Rocketski run the Le Morgan & apart from the 36of us, the staff & the school group we didn't come across any other Brits in resort last week !!!!
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Surprised to hear you struggled with French supermarkets - one of the easiest aspects to get to grips with IME.

I agree with those who have counselled against driving to lifts. You'd he surprised how difficult it can be fitting an entire family's ski gear into even quite a large car!

Also agree that trying to do too much can be a mistake. Getting a big family of beginners kitted uo and to and from ski lessons, and just getting people fed, can be quite a challenge.

Have a great time and don't forget to report back on how it goes.
snow conditions
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
@James the Last, Thanks for the link! Not come across sun web before. Now Tempted to go again in March with them 😀
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
@Scarletgirl I've never used them, but they come up time and time again on here as implausibly cheap s/c holidays. Often the holiday is cheaper than a lift pass bought from the office, AND you get accommodation included.

pam w wrote:
I agree with those who have counselled against driving to lifts..

& also, you have to dig the car out if it's snowed; defrost it. Dig it out at the end of the day, defrost it, take off your ski boots (if driving) and put on shoes (wet feet, middle of carpark, in the rain in a gale). No way!! And then the battery goes flat, it's diesel so it won't start etc. etc.
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Quote:

also, you have to dig the car out if it's snowed; defrost it. Dig it out at the end of the day, defrost it, take off your ski boots (if driving) and put on shoes (wet feet, middle of carpark, in the rain in a gale). No way!! And then the battery goes flat, it's diesel so it won't start etc. etc.

snow conditions Fri 20 Jan, 17
14:29 Reply with quote

The majority but by no means all of my skiing holidays over the last 20 years have been taken using a car to drive me between the lift and accommodation(usually a hire car combined with flying ).
I have to say none of what you say has been a practical problem for me.
The practical problems have been if people want to ski for different length of times or go back for whatever reason, though in most resorts there is some kind of public transport to somewhere walkable and the fact that I can never have an apres ski beer until I get home.
You also have to make sure that the resort you choose has parking a short distance from the lifts.
latest report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
I drive to lifts quite often, with kids and without. But I have a covered parking space and a ski rack which takes 4_pairs of skis and can usually park within a few metres of the lifts. But I still maintain it's far from ideal for a big family of beginners going to an unfamiliar destination! Bus can be a nightmare with small kids too - carrying their stuff and your own and using your third hand to help them struggle up the step in ski boots. And your fourth to stop yourself going for a Burton when the bus dashes off before you've sorted it all out.
latest report
Worth checking out Maria Alm. Apartments there for 6 in the week you are looking for are available at £500-£600 and look good quality. It is a beautiful village. Driving is not too bad (our friends do this from S.W. Wales each year) and toll free. Also you access the resort from the valley road rather than having to negotiate hairpin roads.

Ski schools are available either on the local hill (Natrun) or at Aberg which is a 4-5 minute drive or ski bus trip away. They offer free lift passes for children at this time of year.

Eating out on the mountain is very reasonable (especially by French standards!).

hochkoenig . at has details about the area (though you can often find better value accommodation on sites like homeaway
snow conditions
T Bar wrote:

Yay, superman! snowHead

Call me a wuss if you will but I flat out refused this version of a holiday for the week after next with four adults for these reasons. If it's mild and never snows, then no problem.
snow report
James the Last wrote:
T Bar wrote:

Yay, superman! snowHead

Call me a wuss if you will but I flat out refused this version of a holiday for the week after next with four adults for these reasons. If it's mild and never snows, then no problem.

Actually I agree with T Bar. We hire cars and always drive to lifts. Yes we have to defrost / de-snow the car in the morning (and sometimes in the evening on the way back if we do a late one). However , this is really no bigger deal than de-icing your car in winter at home.

I have never had a diesel fail to start nor a flat battery, nothing to do with being Superman just modern cars are generally better Smile

It is a personal choice but you could equally say don't take ski buses as; sometimes they don't turn up, sometimes when they do turn up they are full from the previous stops and just sail past your stop, at the end of the day there can be an almighty scrum for the buses which is never easy to negotiate with a family, if you miss the seats and have to stand you run the risk of you (or more likely your kids) slipping / falling as the bus takes bends etc etc ........ You can think these are exaggerated / ridiculous statements but same could be said for the original statements re driving to lifts. As I say its horses for courses. Smile
snow report
I think it would be a real hassle for a family of 6 to drive to and from the lifts each day. Would there even be room in the car for all the equipment aswell as six people assuming that they will have hired skis and might not have a suitable roof box?

This would also tie everyone in to following the same time schedule and no one would have the option of starting later or coming in early and doing something else.

Some ski car parks can be very large and you could find you have quite a trek in your ski boots carrying skis to reach the lift. With younger children you might be carrying more than one pair of skis!

We did a days skiing in a different resort at Christmas and the carpark was so dusty we had to keep the car doors shut and put our boots on and off standing up. Whilst the dust we experienced might be unusual what if it is snowing heavily?

It is far easier to get ready for skiing in the comfort of a warm ski room with a bench!
snow report
Just to clarify re Risoul. Once in resort, no need to drive to the lifts - all within walking or skiing distance from the accommodation 😀
ski holidays
@snowymum,
Quote:

I think it would be a real hassle for a family of 6 to drive to and from the lifts each day. Would there even be room in the car for all the equipment aswell as six people assuming that they will have hired skis and might not have a suitable roof box?

This would also tie everyone in to following the same time schedule and no one would have the option of starting later or coming in early and doing something else.

It is a personal choice but I genuinely have had very little trouble down the years of doing it. Not to often with a family of six , my own family is four though we have done it taking other peoples kids as well , most often we have done it with two families of four, occasionally more families.
As far as boots are concerned usually change in the apartment for all except the driver or occasionally one other.
We have often used a van rather than a car when renting with eight, makes a more sociable journey. When the kids were younger and couldn't walk as far with ski kit, you could often just drop them at the lift and go back and park somewhere.

I am not particularly advocating driving over staying right next to the lifts, just saying that it really is not as difficult as you might think if you work it out and I find a lot easier than getting a family on and off a crowded ski bus.
latest report
That week in March will not have stacks of cars in any car park in Austria. We've driven to lifts in school holidays and never had more than about 50 metres to walk. Most have been very close.
latest report
skribble wrote:
You might check out Arc 1950 or Arc 2000. They used to do family ski pass packs and hopefully still do (we also have four kids), there is lots of self-catering accommodation, easy slopes/nursery slopes are very accessible, it's high enough for early April skiing and it's a straight forward drive with under ground parking. The pedestrianised town in 1950 is magical for young kids and you can ski back to the door. Check out Pierre et Vacances.

So pleased to see this post, it's exactly what we're doing in four weeks!
snow conditions
@ScarlettInSpace, Les Arcs 1950/2000 are excellent but not within the budget of OP for the holiday in question.

@T Bar, I agree with you on the ski bus.

We have been spoiled staying at some lovely ski to the door apartments most recently in Arc 2000 as it happens.
ski holidays
@snowymum,
Sounds great, my point about driving was largely that it can actually work pretty well, rather than it is ideal for everyone.
Ski in ski out is great but there are often compromises in style of resort and size/cost of apartment.
snow report
You are too g to seriously struggle to ski in France with 6 if you, on you budget. Exchange rates and French costs on the mountain make France an expensive place to ski.

If it were me, I'd take the overnight ferry from Portsmouth to bibao and head to to formigal area. Big area, low prices, great snow and northern spain in March will be a beautiful place to spend a few days. The overnight ferry with its entertainment is really quite amusing and the overnight cabins means you arrive in resorts more refreshed than if you'd driven to the alps.
The snow in the Pyrenees has beaten the Alps in recent years and current depths are huge.
Accommodation, passes, ski hire, food and beer will be so much lower in France.
snow conditions
A couple of years ago a gang of 20 of us (mixed families) stayed near Schladming (Amade - Hüttendorf Schladming) on the Hochwurzen side, Feb half term, ski in / out chalet practically on the piste and the accommodation came to about £140 per person. They even had a draft beer tap set up in the kitchen (ok, you had to pay for the kegs). A small trek to the supermarket though so a car was handy for shifting supplies.

Last edited by And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports. on Sat 21-01-17 11:15; edited 1 time in total
snow report
Our first two trips with kids our accommodation was a drive from the lifts. It's no big deal really.
Austrian resorts have big free car parks at the lift stations.
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
cameronphillips2000 wrote:
I'd take the overnight ferry from Portsmouth to bibao and head to to formigal area.

Risk of 4 children plus adults being stuck on a tossing, rolling ferry for 24h - not for me Smile
snow report
Orange200 wrote:
I'd take the overnight ferry from Portsmouth to bibao and head to to formigal area.

Risk of 4 children plus adults being stuck on a tossing, rolling ferry for 24h - not for me Smile

They have stabilisers these days.
I did it for the first time last year and cant believe I'd not done it before. Northern Spain is so beautiful and the pyrenees such a wonderful place to learn to ski...
snow conditions
Fantastic chance of seeing some marine life too, quite often see dolphins and whales on that route.

@cameronphillips2000, comment about the entertainment is valid too. Their take on Starlight Express during a force 6 is amusing!
snow report
@rm1982
ive booked a self drive with a 2 bedroomed self catering appt and ski hire for 2 adults and 2 children in flaine for the 25th march for less than a grand, hope that help with a guide price
latest report

I'd assume so do the ones Newhaven-Dieppe, but the whole family got sick on that four-hour trip just six months ago.

Each to their own, I just raise a point Smile
snow conditions
Orange200 wrote:

I'd assume so do the ones Newhaven-Dieppe, but the whole family got sick on that four-hour trip just six months ago.

Each to their own, I just raise a point Smile

I b4lieve that boat is known the the locals who work on it as the vomit comet.
ski holidays
@snowymum,

Thanks for the info, I'm much less stressed knowing there will be snow. Been watching you tube videos all weekend and march snow looks fab!
ski holidays
Thanks for the posters who brought Val cenis to my attention. Not only does it look a great resort, with great value prices but it allows great potential for limerick writers.
The was a young lad from Val cenis........
ski holidays
rm1982 wrote:
@snowymum,

Thanks for the info, I'm much less stressed knowing there will be snow. Been watching you tube videos all weekend and march snow looks fab!

There is usually reasonable snow in val cenis in March but obviously I cannot predict future snowfalls snowHead snowHead
ski holidays
@diggerdave,

Who did you book that holiday with please
ski holidays
@robandliza,

Love your tips, especially about never offering advice to the wife, my husband spat his tea out when I told him that one lol.

The kids had their first lesson and shocked us all, they did the work of the first and 2nd lesson in one hour. They seem to have amazing balance quite a few times they were able to dodge people walking in front of them and one even dodged someone as well as trying to catch her hair and falling off her face lol. We've decided the next class up is to big so they will start private lessons Friday so hopefully weigh just the 3 of them they will come on even quicker.

Me and hubby start our lessons in 3 weeks time, we have 2 hours private lessons a week for 4 weeks then 2 hours recreational a week until we go. If it bloody kills me I will be as good as my hubby even if I have to sneak in some sly lessons on the side without him knowing 😜

Great tip about orientation when we arrive, getting 6 people out of the house is a struggle in a normal day without trying to find new places on holiday ALL by 9am.

We would love to go to Austria but as I'm the one organising the holiday I'm finding it really overwhelming just how many places there are in Austria. It just seems so many more than France. And that's what's putting me off, which it shouldn't but I just don't know where to start with Austria any tips would be great. Driving is not an issue or having my toddler in the car, we drove 5,000 miles in 3 weeks getting to and traveling around south of France last summer, we both love driving so Austria is no worry to us.
snow report
@skribble,

Thanks for that il definitely have a look at that area now.
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy