Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

best waxing iron to fix snowboard

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
So I just came back from snowboarding in Switzerland (needless to say, a heavenly experience!) but on a 3000 meter glacier I f**ked up my snowboard on some rocks sticking out from the snow... I have some deep scratches (so deep that you can see the squared material (I guess the resin)...
I am considering buying a waxing iron to fix it myself and be able to do maintanence in the future on all my boards and I was wondering if any of you have had good luck with diy fixing of scratched boards and what waxing iron you have bought, have been happy with, did the job or just know about and can recommend.
Thanks a lot for your thoughts
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
A waxing iron will not fix your board - you will need p-tex candles and a metal scraper for this. Your base is made of p-tex (a type of plastic), and therefore must be repaired with p-tex - wax is melted into the board to help it run faster over the snow, not to repair gouges. Do a search on google for "p-tex repairs" or something like that and you should be able to find all of the inforamtion rather quickly. Alternately you could just bring it into a shop and they'll repair it for you - doing a proper p-tex repair that actually stays is somewhat of an art, and easy to screw up the first time, especially for such a deep gouge that you are describing.
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
yep what he said ^^^^^

Also if you pick up this months method magazine, theres a section on the DVD on repairing "Core shots" with ptex candles, I redid mine this weekend ready for next weeks trip.

as far as irons are concerned, a non steam iron with solid base will be fine, look in the local electrical repair place, or charity shops for old irons. Very Happy

good luck
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
Good old Marks and Spencer are doing a mini travel iron which is crap for clothes but great for snowboards - only £6. Cool
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Thanks a lot for the good point!
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
take it to the shop.. you are wasting valuable booze time Cool
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
ponder wrote:
A waxing iron will not fix your board - you will need p-tex candles and a metal scraper for this. Your base is made of p-tex (a type of plastic), and therefore must be repaired with p-tex - wax is melted into the board to help it run faster over the snow, not to repair gouges. Do a search on google for "p-tex repairs" or something like that and you should be able to find all of the inforamtion rather quickly. Alternately you could just bring it into a shop and they'll repair it for you - doing a proper p-tex repair that actually stays is somewhat of an art, and easy to screw up the first time, especially for such a deep gouge that you are describing.

The candles are a bit of a faff and I found it quite hard to get a totally clean repair. In my experience, it requires a lot of practice to get a quality repair with candles.

I've heard good things about powdered p-tex. It seems you pour the powder into the gouge, put some foil over it and heat with an iron. Haven't used it myself, but it sounds like it might be worth a try.
latest report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
I'd be sceptical about powdered p-tex. In my experience, the p-tex needs to be flaming as it dribbles into the gouge. It is then hot enough to bond with the existing base. I doubt that ironing powder would get it hot enough to properly bond and make a permanent repair. I've seen too many diy repairs get ripped out after a few runs. If in doubt, and especially if it is through to the core, save your time and spend some cash getting a trusted shop to do it.

For waxing, I use an old clothes iron which was a steam iron. Obviously I don't use the steam function but it waxes my board just fine.
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Helps if you cut into the ptex around the gouge with a razor blade, gives it a rough edge to adhere too.
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy