Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Chilfactore conditions

Poster: A snowHead
Has anyone been to the Chilfactore in Manchester recently and if so what were your thoughts of the piste conditions. I took my husband and 2 kids on Sunday evening (we use the Chilfactore lots), and I have to say, the conditions were not good. Pistes unprepared, Button lift at the top not enough snow coverage, meaning you had to shuffle off in your skis before the next person careered into you, or got clonked on the head by the next lift. One half of the slope at the top closed off, the other half packed full of skiers and boarders of all different abilities attempting to gain access. Once on the slope the first thing we were treated to was a sheet ice across the slope, and then moguls. It was carnage. People falling, arms flailing, crashes. The snow itself was what I can only describe as powdery slush. Hard work to get through. I'm a reasonable skier, and felt completely out of my depth. We had a couple of runs, my husband skied over a metal element showing through the snow and ground to a halt. He informed staff members only to be ushered to one side and asked to speak in whispers so others couldn't hear!!! "We will inform the manager" he was told. We spent a fair bit of cash on lift passes and came off 1/2 an hour into the session as the conditions were just too dangerous. If your planning to go, I would really reconsider at the moment.
latest report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
I've not been recently (having moved away from Manchester a few months ago) but multiple recent postings on their facebook page indicate the snow has been in very poor condition for at least a few weeks.

They've been posting the last few days that they are closing early/opening late for 'essential maintenance' which i took to be attempts to fix the snow. They also had to cancel a race event this week.

It's not the first time this has happened - things got pretty bad last summer/autumn too - though i don't remember them having any similar issues the year before when i was going quite a lot. No idea what they've changed that's caused the issues now.

Here's the thread with more info and previous debate:
http://snowheads.com/ski-forum/viewtopic.php?p=2920918

Last edited by Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person on Tue 17-01-17 9:29; edited 1 time in total
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Btw if you post a review yourself on their FB page they'll probably get back to you pretty sharpish with a refund - seems they only way they sort anything!
latest report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
I took my 4 year old grandson for a cheeky hours skiing after his swimming lesson on Saturday lunch time and it wasn't pleasant as far as the 'snow' was concerned. He's done the complete set of lessons there so was more than capable of handling the conditions, but, the snow was basically unbound lumps of sugar that had been shifted around by the morning session. Half the slope was closed off at the top, there were patches of floor showing followed by lumps a foot thick. The 'walk' back to the button was a trudge skis sinking into six inches of porridge.

I was glad when the session was over which is sad as it's my treat with my new ski buddy, but, I felt really sorry for beginners and first time visitors, there was absolutely no value in it at all.

I had a chat at the desk and said I hoped that they sort out whatever issue it is and got a refund, well a free return visit. Not ideal as I generally like the facility, it's on my door step and would sooner it did well, particularly as this must be 'peak season' with Christmas treat lessons and half term coming up?
snow conditions
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Sounds as cr4p as Braehead then. I will not return. Have joined the local dry slope instead where there is a much better skier focus and better all round atmosphere and instruction
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Thanks for your input as always. I just thought it was me loosing the plot, or my confidence. It's a shame as my 9year old appeared to be the only one having any fun!! I've already reviewed on trip advisor and sent an email satisfaction survey back, but I will post on their FB page too. Their website advertises that they have just renewed their snow. Clearly it's not up to standard.
snow conditions
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
I'm booked in tonight for 9 till 11pm. Was going last night then during booking the last hour became unavailable and fb page said it was for essential maintenance! Not had a pair of skis on for 12 month so could be a nightmare! Will let you know what happens tonight.
latest report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Well update earlier than expected! Received a message from them to say they were closing early again and had moved my booking forward an hour!! And to get in touch if I couldn't make it. I rang them to say no way could I make it and would like a refund. To which I was informed they have a strict 'no refund' policy and could only credit my account. Wasn't happy but she was adamant. So I asked if it was going to close early any other days. She said it probably will all week as they've got a burst pipe what's causing the problems/slush, etc. So now I have a credit for a slush/ice slope. Wish I'd gone to xscape at Castleford now as I'm half way between the two.
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Whitty wrote:
as they've got a burst pipe what's causing the problems/slush, etc.

This is when the decision not to invest in extra isolation valves, seems like a really bad idea rolling eyes
latest report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
I went a few days ago, top right as you look up was closed with exposed pipes and a young guy with a screwdriver looking rather perplexed with whatever he was trying to do. Puzzled The right hand side lift was shut so a nice queue at the bottom for 1 lift! I booked a 4 hr pass for me and GF, i'm getting rid of snowplough before my holiday and needed some practice. First hour or so was ok, GF said snow was shocking.....well she used a smaller word but it starts with the same letter. Razz I didn't notice too much but as more people used one side large 'banks' formed, then about 6 guys turned up and decided to see whose appendage Laughing was largest by continually going straight off the top, no turns and hammering it to the bottom. This was really....(peeving? yeah lets try that word)..... off the people trying to make the most of it. We came off just over 2 hrs, large icy patch at the top and not the environment to learn, practice or enjoy. Think i'll take @fixx advice and complain via FB. The fact I survived the ice better than my seasoned GF was a highlight..... only mentioned it 5 or 6 times on the way home.....PRO!! snowHead
latest report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Anyone been first thing in the morning? Considering 7.30 Saturday morning as evening conditions sound dreadful. Wondering if it maybe better before it gets cut up?
snow conditions
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Quote:

Anyone been first thing in the morning? Considering 7.30 Saturday morning as evening conditions sound dreadful. Wondering if it maybe better before it gets cut up?

Me and the missus went last Saturday. It wasn't great at 0730 either to be honest, we left at 0900 as the 'snow' was slushy and soft. Was ok for the first hour or so, but then it got very busy. As others have mentioned it must be the time of year, run up to HT/Xmas presents etc
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
ribblevalleyred wrote:
Quote:

Me and the missus went last Saturday. It wasn't great at 0730 either to be honest, we left at 0900 as the 'snow' was slushy and soft. Was ok for the first hour or so, but then it got very busy. As others have mentioned it must be the time of year, run up to HT/Xmas presents etc

Thanks for that, not got many options really so probably just going to have to grin and bare it. Need to test some tweaks and footbeds done last week.
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
[quote="Whitty"]..... a strict 'no refund' policy and could only credit my account. .....

I think that it would worth running their T&Cs past a consumer law bod ( trading standards (if they exist) or CAB perhaps) ... the T&C say a lot about what you can and can't do, very little about chillF responsibilities but I don't think that they can just point blank refuse a refund if they are at fault ... there alternative offer has to be reasonable, after all its not you whos asked to change the booking.
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Yeah, their t+c's only seem to mention the customer being at fault. But she was adamant I wasn't getting a refund! They said I can rebook when ever I like so that covers them. What's baffling to me is why don't they shut the place down for a full day and sort the problem instead of mopping up for hours every night and ruining their reputation?
latest report
Yeah I've seen the posts on Facebook about essential maintenance...such as shame as I used this place a lot in the summer months when I was practicing a couple of years back and it was great. I've got about a month yet before our next trip and was hoping for of a couple of hours "refresh" before heading off... we shall see I guess!
snow report
There seem to have been a lot of things not working or generally going downhill (no pun intended) at CF this year; automatic doors, clocks, snow making... Seems to be a lot of errors, corner cutting and generally signs of some lack of willingness to invest, never mind to try and win customers' hearts and minds. Don't know what their finances are like, though there have been a lot of offers to try and entice people in. Doesn't bode well imho; shades of Sheffield ski village. Sad
snow report
boabski wrote:
Sounds as cr4p as Braehead then. I will not return. Have joined the local dry slope instead where there is a much better skier focus and better all round atmosphere and instruction

Was at Braehead between Xmas and New Year for the first time in ages and the snow was like the fake snow from a can, but cold. Really weird. Like spring snow but not wet. I could ski in it, but it wasn't like skiing in snow and I thought that was the point of these places.

Ironically, the ski-tech that gave me the hire skis told me to be careful because the edges were sharp. You could have skied on two planks of wood.
snow report
I decided to try Castleford xscape last night 8-10pm. Carpark was very busy (not a good omen) What a revelation! Yes it was busy but not much queuing as there's no automatic gates on lifts. It was narrow down the middle as there was airbag/jump practice down one side and some small (open to anyone) jumps down the other plus where novices join half way up. But it just seemed to flow ok. Got to mention the staff. Really friendly, looked like they actually enjoyed being there! Guy at top of left lift doing daft shovel balancing tricks and talking to everyone on the lift. Guy on the right lift, same again. Talking to everyone and either high five, first bumped or low fived just about every single person! His arms must have been killing him after a shift!! Snow wasn't too bad for time of day. Well I managed ok and I've not had a ski on for 12 months! And I'm definitely no expert. So will see what chill factor has to offer on Saturday.
ski holidays
@honved, when the new co took over a couple of years ago, I thought they did make a couple of improvements but really is lacking any decent management to keep the snow in good nick. My neighbour spends a lot of time there as getting his hours up for BASI 1, and he is of the same opinion. Run by some kids who have probably never been on real snow. Shame, as it could be a great resource, but the recent hike in prices and 2 hour min period was the nail I the coffin for me.
snow report
Sad at the updates from Manchester CF - sounds like they have lost their way a bit. Sad
Q for any regular fridge users based on the on-going CF situation...we can get to Tamworth in about 45 mins but probably half hour longer for us to get up to CF. We have used CF previously for the 'better' snow vs Snowdome but it sounds like the longer journey is no longer worth it?
latest report
JP Wolf wrote:
...we can get to Tamworth in about 45 mins but probably half hour longer for us to get up to CF. We have used CF previously for the 'better' snow vs Snowdome but it sounds like the longer journey is no longer worth it?

Similar position, we can get to Tamworth in around 20mins and CF a little over an hour. We've booked and hour at CF next Wednesday on the January sale offer (£18 an hour) and am disappointed to be reading these reports. If the snow is not up to scratch we'll be another two customers they will loose, as although Tamworth isn't great snow you know what your getting.

I will say with the offers CF throw about it makes it about the cheapest indoor slope so however bad the snow does get you have to give them credit for that. Even with fuel costs on Tamworth and CF work out similarly priced for us!?!
snow report
Ive been skiing at all the domes over the years and site directly between CFe and Tam.

I used to prefer CFe snow but the atmosphere is dead and find the staff a lot friendlier at Tam.

Ok so tam has its downsides - with the bend it makes it more difficult for the faster skier to plan a route, and its narrower so at busy periods whilst queues are less than CFe you find more of your runs are interupter.

That said though the slope is groomed 3 times a day so you dont get bigs humps and the ice is less of a problem (can still be there) and if you choso to go for the evening session the slope is as good as it was first thing in the morning.

Other bonus is that the lift rarely stops for people who fall over and is controlled by 1 person from 1 panel where as with CFe 1 person controls both sides - fine when things are ok but if somone falls off a lift, little ones need help and lifts go off all at once its mayhem and you can sit there for 5 mins waiting forthe lift to be sorted
ski holidays
Went to Castleford on Tuesday with a Friend who had just been over to CF 3 days before. She was stunned at the difference in just about everything with very little chance she would go back to CF.
Don't these companies know news travels fast and a reputation can go down the pan very quickly.
Wonder how Rossindale is getting on?
snow conditions
@Whitty, Please let me know how you feel after Saturday, If its any improvement on CFe ill drive the extra to xscape next week.
ski holidays
GorillySticks wrote:
@Whitty, Please let me know how you feel after Saturday, If its any improvement on CFe ill drive the extra to xscape next week.

👍
snow report
Whitty wrote:
I decided to try Castleford xscape last night 8-10pm. Carpark was very busy (not a good omen) What a revelation! Yes it was busy but not much queuing as there's no automatic gates on lifts. It was narrow down the middle as there was airbag/jump practice down one side and some small (open to anyone) jumps down the other plus where novices join half way up. But it just seemed to flow ok. Got to mention the staff. Really friendly, looked like they actually enjoyed being there! Guy at top of left lift doing daft shovel balancing tricks and talking to everyone on the lift. Guy on the right lift, same again. Talking to everyone and either high five, first bumped or low fived just about every single person! His arms must have been killing him after a shift!! Snow wasn't too bad for time of day. Well I managed ok and I've not had a ski on for 12 months! And I'm definitely no expert. So will see what chill factor has to offer on Saturday.

Note that is just a Thursday I think. Full slope open on Tuesday - on a Wednesday some is used as they start building the freestyle stuff for the Thursday. Again not an expert but just from what I have seen in action the times I have been. It will be a very interesting comparison after you have been to CFe
snow conditions
I went to Tamworth of Christmas Eve and found it excellent. The snow was deep and grippy and the skis had edges. I have been going since I started skiing there 20 years ago, and have never found it in better shape.

snowHead
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Well, I'm sat in chill factor carpark. How's that for 'on the ground' reporting? 😀 I thought it was OK at 7.30, freshly groomed and could hold an edge easy enough (all though the skis I borrowed were a shock to the system after using my own normally but didn't want to risk any damage after reading previous reports) It held up for the first hour but the 2nd turned into a chore if I'm honest. It wasn't cut up and looked like it should ski ok but the little lumps that shouldn't have been any issue were like hitting the brakes. Not so bad on carving turns but seemed to almost stop you in your tracks on skidded turns. The 'snow' by the lifts was getting deeper and deeper as you just sank into it trying to queue. It was well over front of my boots by 9.30. Wierd texture. Not wet, more like frozen slush. It would not stick together. I picked some up to try making a snowball, absolutely impossible! They were working on some pipes at the top end but it is the bottom that's worst. Must be horrible for novices starting from the half way point. So, all in all I'd recommend going at the first hour of the day. The conditions could put you off after that. Also if you do a Saturday arrive early as there was quite a queue for kit if you're hiring due to a lot of children groups for lessons (mostly they were on the nursery slopes so not a problem after that) Hope that helps anyone trying to decide 👍
snow conditions
Appreciate the feedback, sounds much the same as last week @Whitty, Nice to hear it isn't my ski style that makes me almost stop on those bumps. Think im going to give it a go next Wednesday, after all.....practice is practice!
ski holidays
Cheers for the update Whitty... 2 of us were looking at going next Sunday 29th around 9:30am for a couple of hours refresh...not long before we head off for our trip now. I don't think it opens until 9am so we were hoping the slope might still be holding up by then? Confused ...

I've never been to the Casleford one before and it's about an hour from my house. How long is the slope in comparison to Chillfactore and would you travel the extra 30mins compare to Chillfactore to ensure better snow?

Cheers
latest report
Spike107 wrote:
Cheers for the update Whitty... 2 of us were looking at going next Sunday 29th around 9:30am for a couple of hours refresh...not long before we head off for our trip now. I don't think it opens until 9am so we were hoping the slope might still be holding up by then? Confused ...

I've never been to the Casleford one before and it's about an hour from my house. How long is the slope in comparison to Chillfactore and would you travel the extra 30mins compare to Chillfactore to ensure better snow?

Cheers

The slopes are almost identical if they are fully open without any additional bits like jumps added.
snow report
Spike107 wrote:

Cheers

I think it's a tiny bit shorter but not that noticeable, similar width and gradient. Having said that, the very bottom bit of cf was the worst anyway so kind of evens it up anyway. Good info on what days they use some of the slope for freestyle from Jake43 👍 I personally will be sticking with Casleford for the time being until I hear things have improved at cf.
latest report
So glad I read this, was planning to go for a bit of a session before I head away on Saturday. I won't bother now.
snow conditions
I'm a bit worried now.

My wife has lessons on Wednesday and Thursday at 6pm this week.

She has never skied in her life. we go in a ski trip in March and i wanted her to get some lessons here before also having some lessons on our holiday.

Do you guys think that the conditions at the moment could put her off?

Will the instructors still be able to teach her properly if it is as awful as it sounds?
ski holidays
stewwrlfc wrote:
I'm a bit worried now.

She has never skied in her life. we go in a ski trip in March and i wanted her to get some lessons here before also having some lessons on our holiday.

Will the instructors still be able to teach her properly if it is as awful as it sounds?

The "never ever" slope is separate I doubt she will get on the main slope so she should be ok I would go with her though if you can and see if she does use the main slope. If it is bad then complain.
snow report
stewwrlfc wrote:
I'm a bit worried now.

Is she on a 2 part beginners course or a private??

In both cases the first day will be confined to the small slope and she will be ok. 2nd day will likely be on the bottom half of big slope so shouldn't be too bad but will be harder work than small slope. If she is aken to the top of the big slope itll be less than ideal to be honest (although that depends how confident she is)
snow report
PaulC1984 wrote:
stewwrlfc wrote:
I'm a bit worried now.

Is she on a 2 part beginners course or a private??

In both cases the first day will be confined to the small slope and she will be ok. 2nd day will likely be on the bottom half of big slope so shouldn't be too bad but will be harder work than small slope. If she is aken to the top of the big slope itll be less than ideal to be honest (although that depends how confident she is)

She is on the 2 part beginners course.

Fingers crossed all will be fine as it is the first time i have managed to get her interested in a ski trip and want her to have the best experience at every step.
snow report
Whitty wrote:
Well update earlier than expected! Received a message from them to say they were closing early again and had moved my booking forward an hour!! And to get in touch if I couldn't make it. I rang them to say no way could I make it and would like a refund. To which I was informed they have a strict 'no refund' policy and could only credit my account. Wasn't happy but she was adamant. So I asked if it was going to close early any other days. She said it probably will all week as they've got a burst pipe what's causing the problems/slush, etc. So now I have a credit for a slush/ice slope. Wish I'd gone to xscape at Castleford now as I'm half way between the two.

If they cancel your session as booked and will not give a full refund just tell them you will contact trading std's as they have to give a full refund. Their policy is not worth jack 5h1t compared to law.

The place could be great but really crap management and policy will always drag it down, shame really as all the staff/instructors I have met and know there are fantastic.

For anyone having this issue yes CFe can offer an alternative booking they can offer a credit but they can not ! refuse to give a full refund unless the fault is yours so them closing early thus cutting your session in half is not your fault and a full refund can be requested and if they refuse because of their stupid inept policy then they deserve reporting and hopefully fined by trading standards. No company's policy usurps the law.

I would email them stating your consumer rights, that their policy is in conflict with those rights as the session was cancelled by the slope at short notice and if a full refund is not provided by ( and give a date ) they will be reported to trading standards.
snow conditions
I've used it for the Saturday early session I did as mentioned earlier. The credit was for 2hrs rather than the monetary value so didn't matter that if I'd booked off peak and transfered to peak. To be fair, I didn't pursue it and it sounded like a teenage girl just reading a script.
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy